New APS-C camera soon - images.

richandfleur

Link Posted 10/03/2020 - 12:21
MrB wrote:
The recent Pentax DSLRs have articulated screens, so it would seem ludicrous not to include the feature in a new flagship body. After the techno-gymnastics of the K-1's screen, it wouldn't be unreasonable to consider that the Ricoh-Pentax engineers might have produced a neat and ingenious flush-mounted pop-out articulated screen, perhaps released by the top-left button.

Philip

Oh I like that idea 👍🏻

richandfleur

Link Posted 10/03/2020 - 12:26
kea828 wrote:

The idea did occur to me. I hadn't notced the unmarked button on the left. Very neat if it is.

I note the sensor below the eye piece which presumably switches off the screen if your eye is at the viewfinder. Hopefully that will improve battery life.

Edit:
P.S. The unmarked button may be the flash since the usual flash button has a padlock icon. Any ideas?

Is there a delete button missing too?

No flash Iíd assumed just meant gps built in?

Loss of dual card slots seems a step down, as these are an indication of suitability for serious wedding type work. Not 100% necessary but a nice insurance policy.

Moment to dream about what the eyepiece monitor could be, electronic/hybrid viewfinder for example, or just simply to turn off the rear lcd screen when face is close to viewfinder. Suggests touch screen also, as cell phones use something similar to disable touch functions when you know, you actually use the phone for making phone calls ?!? 😂

JohnX

Link Posted 10/03/2020 - 13:28
smudge wrote:
No dual card button?

Selection via the joystick?

takuman

Link Posted 10/03/2020 - 16:05
Or, the large black unmarked button could be a multi-choice button! Well done Ricoh you have everyone second guessing.
Just passing thru

Gwyn

Link Posted 10/03/2020 - 19:39
I don't care what it looks like, I want to know what it is capable of.
Looks really don't matter. I'm looking through the viewfinder or it is hanging from my shoulder, I am not sitting admiring it it's looks

womble

Link Posted 10/03/2020 - 21:37
Does it have a name yet?
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the cameraÖ they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

HarisF1

Link Posted 10/03/2020 - 22:01
Being referred to by a few people as the K-new (or Knew). That can't be the final name unless Pentax have gone a bit bonkers.

I liked the KP name so something similar would be pretty cool.

Pentax KS? Too similar to the K-S1/2

Pentax K-2? It's cool...

Pentax K-3iii? Nah, don't like it. It's a different beast.

Pentax K-Flex? Welcome to 1982.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 10/03/2020 - 22:32
HarisF1 wrote:
Being referred to by a few people as the K-new (or Knew). That can't be the final name unless Pentax have gone a bit bonkers.

You're talking about the company that called their last film camera the *ist - then kept the name for their first digital SLRs ... I've got the film version, never been able to talk to anyone about it because I don't know how to pronounce its name.

Steve

richandfleur

Link Posted 11/03/2020 - 00:54
Yeah odd mix of letters and numbers.

K-1 K-01 K-3 K-5 K-30/50/70 500 etc
Or K-r KP K-x K-S1/S2 etc

All over the place really. K-2 and K-4 aren't currently taken?

Wonder if this new model is considered a K-3iii internally, or if they view this as a different line again.

MrB

Link Posted 11/03/2020 - 03:50
If Pentax do get it right and release the best APS-C camera at its price point, then K-A would seem appropriate.

Philip

richandfleur

Link Posted 11/03/2020 - 08:17
MrB wrote:
If Pentax do get it right and release the best APS-C camera at its price point, then K-A would seem appropriate.

Philip

KO perhaps in boxing 🥊

MrB

Link Posted 11/03/2020 - 09:17
richandfleur wrote:

KO perhaps in boxing 🥊

For naming the Pentax flagship crop body, that might be a bit too close to the K-01 - regarded as a marmite camera, loved by some Pentaxians but generally considered ill-conceived by others.

Philip
Last Edited by MrB on 11/03/2020 - 09:21

richandfleur

Link Posted 11/03/2020 - 10:18
MrB wrote:
richandfleur wrote:

KO perhaps in boxing 🥊

For naming the Pentax flagship crop body, that might be a bit too close to the K-01 - regarded as a marmite camera, loved by some Pentaxians but generally considered ill-conceived by others.

Philip

Ah yes the Fisher Price you styled brick by Mark somebody. Yeah didnít go down so well.

Also have to throw in the mix that a lot of cameras are doing eye AF these days and itís incredible.

Over the years Iíve had a lot of on the go portraits that have ended up with eyes out of focus. Lots with the forehead in focus because thatís what the camera AF opted for, which I couldnít tell via the smaller APS-C viewfinder.

Bringing some smarts to a 2020 camera that could assist with this would be much appreciated. Iím not always on a studio with live view and focus peaking to confirm eye focus, so it would be great if this was available in some form.

Canít see it being successfully implemented in DSLR mode, so it would have to be available in live view mirrorless mode I guess. Requires object identification and tracking, so not aligned with Pentax strengths.

Just another idea on the list whilst we wait for something to emerge.

Come to think of it the Corona virus issues may well delay this release even further now.

womble

Link Posted 11/03/2020 - 19:39
The KL would be fun...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the cameraÖ they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

dcweather

Link Posted 16/04/2020 - 16:53
Don't recall any really new APS-C DSLR's being released for some time from anybody. I may be wrong but any new ideas seem to be put into mirrorless. The one to beat really is the Nikon D500 which has been out about three years or so now so it shouldn't really be difficult. They should use this as an opportunity to be the leader in APS-C as they aren't bothering with mirrorless. If it's just a bit of an upgrade I see it as a missed opportunity and a bit of a waste of time.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.