netbook advice

dougf8

Link Posted 12/10/2010 - 21:02
If you have XP you don't need Windows 7.

(If you run Linux you need neither XP nor 7. ( )
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 12/10/2010 - 21:09

davem

Link Posted 12/10/2010 - 21:10
well that will save money!

What is the point of bluetooth

Can open office documents be exported to microsft word?

dougf8

Link Posted 12/10/2010 - 21:18
davem wrote:
well that will save money!

What is the point of bluetooth

Can open office documents be exported to microsft word?

Yes it will open MS documents and you can save documents as MS format. Some of the more fancy formatting may not be available. I find it does 95% of what most people need and you can find ways round the other 5%. I used it to create the PDFs for the voting comp.

Some licences of MS office allow you to install on 3 home PCs so if you have a copy, check your licence.

--------------------

Bluetooth allows you to connect over short distances, mobile phones, keyboards, printers, speakers etc. I do most transfers by physical connections, either taking the memory chip out or using the cable. There may be a bluetooth expert about.

The only use I have for bluetooth is handsfree kit in the car.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 12/10/2010 - 21:43

dougf8

Link Posted 12/10/2010 - 22:17
Just checked, the Samsung N130 I have had a 1 year free MS Office 2007 trial. So you might find something similar bundled.

It did not have elements, my old laptop did! So picasa and gimp for free unless you have other paid/bundled solutions.
Lurking is shirking.!

dougf8

Link Posted 12/10/2010 - 22:46
If you have sausage fingers and poor eyesight this is the kind of thing I was also thinking of. Battery life is not as good as a netbook but you will be able to do more and be more productive. It has a matt screen I think.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/184074

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/222821

A bit more than a 200 netbook.

Anyway, off you go and get the dartboard out.
Lurking is shirking.!

Dangermouse

Link Posted 12/10/2010 - 22:54
I've got an Asus Eee PC 901, had it two years, works very well (especially now I've dumped the daft Linux it came with and put a better distribution on - Ubuntu). Runs the GIMP and UFRAW, more than ok for simple manipulation such as healing irregularities and cropping images. It also runs the Hugin panorama maker happily.

I'd love one of the new ones with the flip screen which can be used as a tablet or a normal netbook, only snag is they only seem to come with Windows and I rather like Ubuntu now.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

davem

Link Posted 14/10/2010 - 22:04
Has anybody experiences of Laptops Direct based in Huddersfield? They sell on the web and have a wide selection of all the kit metioned above in their Huddersfield showroom.

Dave

davem

Link Posted 26/10/2010 - 20:58
Ok I am almost at the stage of buying an Acer Ferrari cos it sounds cool

It also has and 11inch screen and quite a lot of memory and will last for a long time without upgrading. It seems to be a cross over between the netbook and small laptop

I still need to sort out two things in my mind:

1. I normally label photos on my pc in photoshop elemnts 7. What would be the best way of labelling and adding notes when out and about using the netbook? I would really like this to be in the meta data so that when I get home it can be seamlessly read using elements7

2. I am buying an orange dongle to access the internet with the netbook
They are offering 500mb a month for 5. In your experience is this enough for just generally surfing as research and not downloading music, large files etc?

Thanks for the help so far it really has helped me think through my options.

Dave

Anvh

Link Posted 26/10/2010 - 21:14
There are also subnotebooks.
They have better specs then netbooks but almost as small, they do cost more though.

This a very good site with a lot of reviews www.notebookcheck.net
Top 10 reviewed netbooks link
top10 of subnotebooks link

About the dongle, some here in the Netherlands offer a discount on notebook if you get one and one of their dongles.
Also some notebooks have 3G build in so no need for a dongle just the chip.

ps. review about the Acer Ferrari One 200 link
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 26/10/2010 - 21:18

dougf8

Link Posted 26/10/2010 - 21:14
davem wrote:
2. I am buying an orange dongle to access the internet with the netbook
They are offering 500mb a month for 5. In your experience is this enough for just generally surfing as research and not downloading music, large files etc?

Thanks for the help so far it really has helped me think through my options.

Dave

I'm sure the Acer will be good.

In a decent browsing session I use about 100mb (I think), I was worried about exceeding the limit (3gb pcm) but realistically I never used it for more than a few days a month. That was general browsing. I am paid up on the dongle for a few more weeks so I'll look at the logs and let you know. I'll be out and about in the next few days so should have some real stats.

If you want the dongle for a specific few months Orange do a 30 day contract at 15/month for 3Gb. You let them know when you want to end and it ends 30 days after your notice. No minimum 2 year deal. They offered at the end to convert the dongle to PAYG 5p /mb so quite expensive. (you could have it for 5 in 4 weeks )

I signed up in an Orange shop. I called 150 from my Orange phone to cancel. (The 15 pcm is going towards an android phone)

One thing that Orange do is add-ons. I can buy 500mb data for 5 for my PAYG phone so they might do something similar for the dongle??
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 26/10/2010 - 21:41

johnriley

Link Posted 26/10/2010 - 21:18
I have an Orange dongle and have 3GB permonth in the contract. It's indispensible when travelling, but performance varies depending upon the type of mobile network in the vicinity. GPRS is dreadfully slow and UTMS is tolerably fast at just under 2Mb.
Best regards, John

dougf8

Link Posted 26/10/2010 - 21:29
re 1.

Picasa has an option to create a caption for an image. It will do so for RAW and jpeg. The caption entry showsup in the IPTC info attached to the image.

IrfanView, Image Information (short cut "I"), allows you to edit the IPTC information (shortcut "I" )and add/remove comments.

So in IrfanView you browse to your directory then you can run through the images (pressing the space bar), pre-captioned in Picasa (better interface) and then hit "I" twice and edit the IPTC data which I guess will be held with the image and available in PP.

Actually (ignore above), in Picasa you can right click, choose "open with IrfanView", then press "I" twice and you're editing the IPTC data. Picasa/Irfanview both free.

re:2

Looking at the orange site it looks like you can buy bundles. 3Gb for 10.

Look at the "need extra data?" small print at the bottom of the Racoon, it pops up. It would be worth double checking when you buy that this applies! http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-broadband/dongles
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 26/10/2010 - 21:44

user_removed

Link Posted 26/10/2010 - 22:42
davem wrote:

1. I normally label photos on my pc in photoshop elemnts 7. What would be the best way of labelling and adding notes when out and about using the netbook? I would really like this to be in the meta data so that when I get home it can be seamlessly read using elements7

If you upgraded to PSE8 or 9, both claim a "See the same photos and videos on all of your computers with automatic syncing*" capability.

Ref this page here: link
Sorry I can't verify if or how well it works, never needed to use it here.

(The Ferrari should run it OK, and Adobe permits activation on two computers so licensing hassles wouldn't be a drama.)

But there are no shortage of Files/Folders syncronising utilities available for Windows platform anyway, so I don't think you'd have too much trouble to find a method for doing it on the cheap if reqd. to stay with existing PSE7 databases on multiple PCs.

Even SyncToy, a Microsoft freeware, is simple to use and works OK.
link

.R.
Last Edited by user_removed on 26/10/2010 - 22:47

davem

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 22:25
great got the Ferrari today and it is roaring away. Might wait with dongle until we are getting away more often.

If I want to load up software such as Kaspersky security can I use my desktop pc as the optical drive for the cd's?

Dave

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/10/2010 - 22:32
Use Microsoft Security Essentials - it is great, and works really well on a netbook. Free too.

If you have Windows 7 on your PC you can easily make a network with the new netbook and just transfer files that way.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.