Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

MZ50 film removal

womble
Posted 06/03/2013 - 18:47 Link
Any ideas how to get a half used film out of an MZ50? I assume the auto rewind will send the leader back into the cassette. If I take it into a darkroom will the wind-on spool rotate to let me pull the film out?

Answers on a..., well on here actually.

Thanks, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
gartmore
Posted 06/03/2013 - 19:29 Link
I think that if you open the back in the darkroom you could lift out the cassette and then press the rewind button, the clutch will disengage and you can pull the film off the take-up spool. Only guessing though, I accept no responsibility for any personal injury
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Edited by gartmore: 06/03/2013 - 19:29
Gamka
Posted 06/03/2013 - 19:58 Link
Use the Mid-Roll rewind button! That will start the "rewind" and probably let the take up spool rotate.

Is there a function on the MZ50 that allows it to leave the leader out? I know the MZ-S had one.

By rewind button - I presume gartmore is referring to the Mid-Roll rewind button.
gartmore
Posted 06/03/2013 - 20:34 Link
Yes, I think we're both suggesting the same thing
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Hardgravity
Posted 06/03/2013 - 20:56 Link
Failing a success, open the spool in a dark room and swap the centre spool and film into a re-useable cartridge...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
johnha
Posted 06/03/2013 - 22:40 Link
Possibly not very helpful, but 'back in the day' you could get film leader retrievers...

Or you could try this link Note: I haven't!
fritzthedog
Posted 07/03/2013 - 08:13 Link
Kris

This may help you

Comment Image

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Gamka
Posted 07/03/2013 - 08:58 Link
fritzthedog wrote:
Kris

This may help you

Comment Image

Carl

That's what we were suggesting, but does it leave the leader out?
fritzthedog
Posted 07/03/2013 - 09:04 Link
Gamka wrote:
fritzthedog wrote:
Kris

This may help you

Comment Image

Carl

That's what we were suggesting, but does it leave the leader out?

Yes I know that this is what you suggested - I was just showing where the button is located. It is a long time since I removed a part used roll - I can not remember if it leaves the leader out or not.

I may have an old roll of terminally out of date film somewhere - if I can find one I will part run it through and see what happens

Carl
fritzthedog
Posted 07/03/2013 - 09:17 Link
Right - found an old roll of film and have just tried it.

I can confirm that it does NOT leave the leader out if you rewind mid roll.

Regards
Carl
Gamka
Posted 07/03/2013 - 10:45 Link
Does the MZ50 have a set of "Pentax Functions" - similar to the MZ-S?
jeallen01
Posted 09/03/2013 - 11:34 Link
johnha wrote:
Possibly not very helpful, but 'back in the day' you could get film leader retrievers...

!

I have one in the cupboard if you need it - P&P only!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
michaelblue
Posted 09/03/2013 - 11:52 Link
Just rewind the film completely, then:

Cut a 1" strip from an old photo (lab done, not printer done)
wet it slightly on the image side and slide it into the cassette slot - emulsion side facing in - until it reaches the film
now wind the spool so that the photo strip is pulled in an inch or so
now...pull sharply on the photo strip and the film should come out
It might take a couple of attempts but it works
Regards,
Michael
jeallen01
Posted 15/03/2013 - 13:20 Link
Kris

Please check your Messages again.

John
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
davem
Posted 15/03/2013 - 13:41 Link
johnha wrote:

Or you could try this link Note: I haven't!

See link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.