My first primes on digital

robbie_d

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 12:06
Today I received two lenses purchased off the classified adverts on this site, a Pentax A 1:1.7 50mm, and a Pentax A 1:2.8 28mm.

These are the first prime lenses I have used on my K-m since purchase, and after a couple of hours playing around with them the only thing I regret is not buying some prime lenses earlier!

I love everything about them, the size, build quality, manual focus feel, and even just taking a few snap shots it is easy to see the optical quality compared to the kit zooms bundled with the K-m (in fact I don't see them getting back on the camera in the near future!).

The 50mm does seem to underexpose slightly (I don't know if this is common with the K-m), but this is easily adjusted for. The colour and sharpness of the images is spot on, I am even suprised with the sharpness wide open, not razor sharp, but better than I was expecting.

The 28mm seems to expose just right, and seems to have a more natural colour palette than the 50mm. The FOV of 28mm on digital is just about spot on for me, and I can see this lens spending a lot of time on my camera.

5 lenses now (and counting), seems like LBA has well and truly struck...
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

davex

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 12:16
Quote:
seems like LBA has well and truly struck

Welcome to the club

Dasvex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

mayday

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 12:31
Quote:
I love everything about them, the size, build quality, manual focus feel, and even just taking a few snap shots it is easy to see the optical quality compared to the kit zooms bundled with the K-m (in fact I don't see them getting back on the camera in the near future!).

SNAP SHOTS! - My Dear Sir, One does photography...

LBA - There is no cure
Regards
David

Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
Last Edited by mayday on 18/02/2010 - 12:31

robbie_d

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 12:36
mayday wrote:
Quote:

SNAP SHOTS! - My Dear Sir, One does photography...

LBA - There is no cure

Pictures of my coffee cup and mouse don't really count as anything other as snap shots in my mind!

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 18/02/2010 - 12:38

mayday

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 12:43
Ah but they are photographs - Testing the IQ of the lens, depth of field tests, framing, focus etc etc can all be done using the coffee cup or the humble mouse. I often take photgraphs of the books in my book case or items on the shelving or computer desk in my office to do just as mentioned above - I think it is quite normal
Regards
David

Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:

thoughton

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 12:49
Oh dear Robbie, it's a long slippery slope from now on!!!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

robbie_d

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 12:57
mayday wrote:
Ah but they are photographs - Testing the IQ of the lens, depth of field tests, framing, focus etc etc can all be done using the coffee cup or the humble mouse. I often take photgraphs of the books in my book case or items on the shelving or computer desk in my office to do just as mentioned above - I think it is quite normal

Glad it's not just me then!

Apparently.

robbie_d

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 12:58
thoughton wrote:
Oh dear Robbie, it's a long slippery slope from now on!!!

Not just lenses either, I need a new bag to hold them all!

Apparently.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 13:41
"I love everything about them, the size, build quality, manual focus feel, and even just taking a few snap shots it is easy to see the optical quality compared to the kit zooms..."

Oh Robbie...I really don't like the sound of this.

Once I was a happy chap with my 18-55 kit lens...it really did/does everything I wanted. Then I was browsing through photographic sites and discovered some manual focus sites, then looked on e-bay and...well, the rest, as they say, is history.

I mean, just how many 35mm lenses from the 1970s does a man need?

Best wishes,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

robbie_d

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 14:00
bwichmawr wrote:
"I love everything about them, the size, build quality, manual focus feel, and even just taking a few snap shots it is easy to see the optical quality compared to the kit zooms..."

Oh Robbie...I really don't like the sound of this.

Once I was a happy chap with my 18-55 kit lens...it really did/does everything I wanted. Then I was browsing through photographic sites and discovered some manual focus sites, then looked on e-bay and...well, the rest, as they say, is history.

I mean, just how many 35mm lenses from the 1970s does a man need?

Best wishes,

Andrew

I'm beginning to see that there is no definite answer to that question!

Apparently.

matthew

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 14:00
Am I being blond or what

please explain what is LBA

M

terje-l

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 14:11
LBA = Lens Buying Addiction. A disease often found in the photographic environment. Luckily, I have not been affected - yet
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

Clarky

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 14:17
terje-l wrote:
LBA = Lens Buying Addiction. A disease often found in the photographic environment. Luckily, I have not been affected - yet

Neither have I, Luckily
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 14:24
quote]Neither have I, Luckily [/quote]

Yeah right.

But at least you're man enough to put the list of your afflictions right up there for all to see, Clarky...

Mine's hidden right away.

A.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Mongoose

Link Posted 18/02/2010 - 14:49
terje-l wrote:

I'd be careful if I were you, that Rikenon 50 looks like an early symptom if ever I saw one!
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.