My first kingfisher

RobL
Posted 23/01/2021 - 10:01 Link
Well not the first time I have seen one but the first time I have managed some photos. After hearing that one was to be spotted by the bridge in the centre of the village I set off as soon as it was light and was rewarded by this chap obligingly sitting nearby. The ISO is eye-wateringly high at 20,000 but the DFA 150-450mm on the K1 performed remarkably well, nailing the focus 8 out of 10 times. The only crop was to chop the sides to make it square.
Comment Image
Mike-P
Posted 23/01/2021 - 10:44 Link
Well caught, I do find the K-1 and 150-450mm an excellent combo for low light wildlife photography, the files clean up very very well. I used to see a kingfisher every so often at a local reserve but I haven't been since March, they really are magical birds.
Chrism8
Posted 23/01/2021 - 11:30 Link
Superb capture Rob, we're you at 450mm or closer and even at the high ISO, the details very good
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
LongTimeLurker
Posted 23/01/2021 - 11:38 Link
Very well captured: a picture to be really pleased with.

The closest I have come to seeing a kingfisher is a streak of bluey-green as it flew by. Well done on spotting this little fella.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
LennyBloke
Posted 23/01/2021 - 11:42 Link
Well done Rob - nice capture, I'm quite envious
LennyBloke
RobL
Posted 23/01/2021 - 12:02 Link
Chrism8 wrote:
Superb capture Rob, we're you at 450mm or closer and even at the high ISO, the details very good
At full stretch of 450mm, f5.6 and 1/500 sec, using the bridge parapet for support. Just before this a goldcrest flew past my head, the little beggar too fast to capture. Thanks for the comments all.
Edited by RobL: 23/01/2021 - 12:05
Lubbyman
Posted 23/01/2021 - 14:04 Link
Good shot and lovely bird. I'm envious - only ever seen them in flight and for no more than a second or two.

Steve
K10D
Posted 23/01/2021 - 15:33 Link
Very nice. Good image and great colours.

Best regards
Too far from a shore.
davidwozhere
Posted 23/01/2021 - 16:00 Link
Lucky beggar! I would simply like the chance to look at one never mind get a photo as nice as this.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
jvs
Posted 23/01/2021 - 16:32 Link
Lovely!
John
pschlute
Posted 23/01/2021 - 19:33 Link
Always been my dream to capture one of these. Well done.
womble
Posted 23/01/2021 - 22:04 Link
Very nice indeed. As my wife will attest, I have a superb library of photos with the blurred image of the rear end of an animal leaving the frame. I'm very jealous!
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
RobL
Posted 25/01/2021 - 11:17 Link
Well he/she was back again this morning in better light when I arrived at around 8.50 and stayed for half an hour so, and I had the luxury of trying different exposure settings. Slightly further away this time so a bit more of a crop but able to use lower ISOs. When the sun came out the feathers changed from blue to turquoise, doubtless due to their irridescence.
Comment Image

Comment Image
LennyBloke
Posted 25/01/2021 - 11:20 Link
Those last two are beautiful Rob - and on Flickr even better
LennyBloke
bforbes
Posted 25/01/2021 - 12:03 Link
LennyBloke wrote:
Those last two are beautiful Rob - and on Flickr even better
Agreed

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo