Limiteds - DA 70mm or FA 77mm

parigby

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 10:01
Some help please. I had started off thinking that l would get the FA77mm, to be used primarily in relation to street and candid portrait work.

I then read John Riley's review of the DA 70mm or this site, and began to wonder whether the not inconsequential price difference between the two was worth it. I appreciate that the 77mm gives me an extra stop or two, but as the lens will be used on the K5, is that really going to make sufficient difference to justify the 300 odd price differential. I should also add at this stage that l am an " available light " photographer.

As far as the extra 7mm reach is concerned, l don't think this is a big deal as far as l am concerned.

I would be very interested in members views.

regards ........ philip

giofi

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 10:44
Philip, as John Riley recently acquired an FA 77, we are eagerly waiting for his comparative review....
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

Mannesty

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 11:06
The FA 77mm is slightly faster than the DA 70mm at 1:1.8 compared to 1:2.4.

The FA 77mm is also a full frame lens and can be used on film bodies and any possible forthcoming FF DSLR body.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

parigby

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 11:36
giofi wrote:
Philip, as John Riley recently acquired an FA 77, we are eagerly waiting for his comparative review....

Do we have an indication as to when this comparative review maybe available ?

regards ....... philip

johnriley

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 11:36
It's a work in progress, so no answers yet. Of course the 70mm has Quick Shift, which is always useful. It is also much smaller. But then again it's much slower than the FA 77mm.
Best regards, John

Helpful

Dangermouse

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 12:50
The DA 70mm may well be a full frame lens. I know the DA 40mm f2.8 and DA 35mm f2.4 are. While it lacks an aperture ring, it'd be fully functional on something like an MZ6 which can control aperture from the body (it'd work on any body with the A contacts, but only in program or Tv mode).
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 13:34
http://pentaxlife.com/da-limited-on-film

I think some of the DA ltds can be used, but are not optimised for film with the quality dropping off towards the edge of the frame. Although the 70mm doesn't look too bad, and you'd be OK with the subject roughly central, and the background deliberately thrown out of focus. The new DA 35mm is a different matter as it's so clearly based on the FA 35mm, whereas the DA ltds are new designs with no precursor from the days of film.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 30/06/2011 - 13:36

johnwhit

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 14:03
Pentaxophile wrote:
http://pentaxlife.com/da-limited-on-film

I think some of the DA ltds can be used, but are not optimised for film with the quality dropping off towards the edge of the frame. Although the 70mm doesn't look too bad, and you'd be OK with the subject roughly central, and the background deliberately thrown out of focus. The new DA 35mm is a different matter as it's so clearly based on the FA 35mm, whereas the DA ltds are new designs with no precursor from the days of film.

AFAIK, the DA-40 Ltd is virtually the same as the 'M' 40 and the DA-70 works reasonably well on FF.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 16:02
Looking at the design diagram on the K mount site I would suspect that the DA 40mm is indeed just an updated version of the old M series lens.

I have to say the DA 70mm would have to be absolutely incredible for me to want one. I have the DA* 50-135mm and I don't really see what you could buy anywhere which would be better optically!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

johnwhit

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 16:21
Dangermouse wrote:
I have to say the DA 70mm would have to be absolutely incredible for me to want one.

It's a stunner, even wide open at f/2.4, very uniform across the frame, very sharp and lovely OoF rendering.......oh and it's very small, very very small great for candid portraits.

John

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 01/07/2011 - 19:47
It's a tough choice really, I have been thinking the same thing, and still I have not got either - yet.

The 70 is a lovely small lens with cracking bokeh and sharpness, but I already have the mighty 50-135, so would an extra 1/2 stop be worth it
On the other hand the 77mm is faster still and has a legendary reputation, but it is so much more in price.

If it was me and I chose the 70mm, I would still think if I saved a bit more, I could have the 77mm, if only for the speed and the A ring for use on my MZ-5n.

On the other hand the 70 is a great price for a great lens, and if you don't use film, then might be a better choice....

Like I say, a tough decision.

Robin is probably the best person to answer this question at the moment.
Some Cameras

Helpful

johnriley

Link Posted 01/07/2011 - 20:41
It won't be long before the answer can be judged for yourselves, including the technical graphs. The 70mm f2.4 review is already out.
Best regards, John

rparmar

Link Posted 02/07/2011 - 00:57
Offertonhatter wrote:

You probably don't mean this Robin, but I am sure glad I went for the FA77. The aperture ring is darned useful on my Olympus PEN and the extra stop is rather nice. In terms of size the FA77 is only a tiny bit larger than the DA70 with hood. And they are distinctly closer in price on the used market than brand new.

As for rendering, I have seen very good images from both lenses. But I have seen magic from the FA Limiteds.

There are thousands of images out there, so it shouldn't be hard to judge for yourself.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

vrapan

Link Posted 02/07/2011 - 10:43
Tiny
rparmar wrote:
Offertonhatter wrote:

You probably don't mean this Robin, but I am sure glad I went for the FA77. The aperture ring is darned useful on my Olympus PEN and the extra stop is rather nice. In terms of size the FA77 is only a tiny bit larger than the DA70 with hood. And they are distinctly closer in price on the used market than brand new.

As for rendering, I have seen very good images from both lenses. But I have seen magic from the FA Limiteds.

There are thousands of images out there, so it shouldn't be hard to judge for yourself.

You can use Pentax lenses on Pen cameras? Is that with an adaptor and what about AF? - sorry for going a bit off topic

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 02/07/2011 - 10:49
There is a K-mount adapter for micro 4/3rds cameras. However you lose camera control of the lens, making it fully manual only.
As DA lenses don't have an aperture ring, it will mean that these lenses will be stopped down in operation
But with any k-mount lens with the ring (K, M, A, F, FA) can be used with the adapter.
Some Cameras
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.