Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Limiteds - DA 70mm or FA 77mm

vrapan
Posted 02/07/2011 - 11:02 Link
Offertonhatter wrote:
There is a K-mount adapter for micro 4/3rds cameras. However you lose camera control of the lens, making it fully manual only.
As DA lenses don't have an aperture ring, it will mean that these lenses will be stopped down in operation
But with any k-mount lens with the ring (K, M, A, F, FA) can be used with the adapter.

Thanks that's what i thought
rparmar
Posted 02/07/2011 - 13:27 Link
It works very well since you can still use A mode and control aperture with the ring. Exposure is then significantly more accurate than on a Pentax body itself. Focus is set using focus ring as usual and it's quite easy to see the "snap" on the LCD. There is also a magnification system to assist in this.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
Apache
Posted 05/07/2011 - 10:10 Link
Hello everyone,

I've got the same dilemma.
I'm shooting with k-x and it doesnt seem I'd needed FF-lens any soon.

But FA77 is brighter and I suppose it helps to "isolate" photographed person from the backdround (more shallow DOF).
It's also an absolute legend among Pentax lenses, while DA70 is "just" a limited lens
From what I've read it also seems that operating with hood and lens cap is more comfortable in the case of FA77.

Still, is it worth paying extra 225$?

I can't wait for the comparison of both. My question for John Riley would be: if money were not an issue, which one would you rather pick?

Best regards,
Marcin Gajek
parigby
Posted 05/07/2011 - 10:22 Link
I suppose we are all waiting for John's comparison to hit the site. At the moment l am thinking that l will need to see a substantive difference between the two, if l am going to spend on the FA77mm £300.00 + over the 70mm.

Afterall, for the price of the FA77mm l can to all intents and purposes buy the DA70mm and the DA21mm - but months down the line will l find myself wishing l had gone for the FA77mm simply because of it's reputation.

BTW thanks to all who have so far contributed to this thread - it has been very interesting to read people's opinions.

regards .......... philip
Edited by parigby: 05/07/2011 - 10:23
i-Berg
Posted 05/07/2011 - 10:40 Link
While I'd be interested to try the 77 for comparison purpose, I'm not sure that I'd be motivated by that to ditch the DA70.

Mind you, I have no ambitions to use full-frame cameras, so if that is a point of distinction for you, the FA77 may be a better bet.
rparmar
Posted 05/07/2011 - 14:16 - Helpful Comment Link
Hundreds of threads on dozens of forums have asked the same question.

It always comes down to the same thing. The DA70 is a very good lens. Those who have it are happy with it. A small minority prefer it to the FA77.

Everyone else, whether they can afford it or not, consider the FA77 to be the superior lens in terms of sharpness, wide aperture, handling (aperture ring) and rendering. More important, photographs demonstrate this superiority time and again. Viewing the The FA Limited Club thread is enough to make one weep.

If you want magic in your shots you need the FA Limited lenses. I do not think any company has ever made better auto-focus lenses.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
Sean282
Posted 05/07/2011 - 17:12 Link
I have the 77mm and love the lens. It just has something. But I am far from an expert on these type of discussions so I'll say no more than that.
johnriley
Posted 05/07/2011 - 17:19 Link
We're not far away from my answer to your question, but whatever the 77mm test reveals, if I was so reluctant to give up the 70mm I think that in itself says something very positive about that lens....
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.