Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

autumnlight
Posted 06/07/2015 - 20:48 Link
I only noticed the LIKE button yesterday at the bottom of each picture, maybe it's been there a while, i did click on it but it didn't work this evening, i was wondering what other's think of the button?
Mag07
Posted 06/07/2015 - 22:35 Link
I like the LIKE button but it doesn't like me. Exception... "" nsresult: "0x805e0006 ()" location: "JS frame :: https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.1/jquery.min.js :: .send :: line 4" data: no whenever I try to use it. Tried Firefox, Chrome and IE.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
davidstorm
Posted 06/07/2015 - 23:29 Link
It errors when I click it, it's not my PC as I don't get errors clicking anything else.

Also, I'm a bit unsure about why you would click it and not leave an encouraging comment? Maybe it's a commentary on today's shallow social media experience where clicking 'like' is something cool?

Personally, I would rather leave a comment, or at least click 'like' and also leave a comment. I can understand why some would rather remain anonymous, but what does a number of 'likes' and no comments really mean?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
johnriley
Posted 06/07/2015 - 23:32 Link
If we're in a hurry, it's nice to be able to just show appreciation without having to post a message. It's just a "thumbs up" of approval. Maybe a full comment isn't always necessary?
Best regards, John
davidstorm
Posted 06/07/2015 - 23:36 Link
johnriley wrote:
If we're in a hurry, it's nice to be able to just show appreciation without having to post a message. It's just a "thumbs up" of approval. Maybe a full comment isn't always necessary?

Yes, I completely understand that John and agree to an extent, but I see the other side too. Is it a bit too easy to click 'like' without leaving a comment, therefore does that make it slightly meaningless?

Also if it errors when you click it, which it does for me and must be doing for others, then it won't get clicked much. The errors need to be looked into.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
johnriley
Posted 06/07/2015 - 23:37 Link
The Like button has been working fine, but it isn't tonight. I'll ask IT to look at it tomorrow.
Best regards, John
Mag07
Posted 06/07/2015 - 23:43 Link
We're not all technically competent to necessarily leave comments, or sometimes we're just in a rush. Despite PU not being the busiest of forums, there is a good amount of photographs popping up in the gallery every day. Doubt anyone here has the time to comment on all that are worthy, daily.
Don't think it's about being cool either. More a way of showing something has touched you one way or another, without necessarily having to express it with words. Some people are less eloquent than others.
Ok, you are right; it is kind of 'cool' Well, will be. When it starts working for all.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
Edited by Mag07: 06/07/2015 - 23:44
autumnlight
Posted 07/07/2015 - 17:07 Link
The like button is working fine today both on my mobile and on my laptop, i shall be using it and hopefully commenting too and as Magdelena pointed out we aren't all equipped to give technically competent comments, so the like button will be a way of expressing the fact that we appreciate the content of the image, which is fine and... "COOL"...
VividArt
Posted 07/07/2015 - 19:51 Link
Hello folks,
I agree with David. When I use it I also leave a comment. Personally the whole "like" thing is for the FB crowd. I don't always have time to comment as many might, but if I do see a good picture, I "try" to find the time later to go back and thoughtfully comment. I think it's good to hear why someone likes a photo. After all this is a forum of photographers, I don't learn from my mistakes if people don't comment.
Another point, sure there may be folks that don't want to comment because they fear they can't phrase something that sounds "photographic" but that doesn't matter.
Often I see photos that were so well done that I have no idea how to phrase a thoughtful comment, but simply commenting " I like this" is enough, even if I don't know how to describe why I like it. Yes it can be intimidating to read so many thoughtful comments, I may want to leave one but fear that I can't say something original.

One more point, for many of us, time, thought and planning went into a shot, it was an attempt to create a "pro" looking shot, when I see a comment on one of my photos, it tells me that someone looked at it for a little while and were inspired to comment, in a world where "likes" mean so much to so many and hitting the "like" button is so easy, I feel offering a comment is a way of saying - yes I am busy, but wait, this photo caught my attention, if it catches my attention and keeps it, I feel I should make the effort to comment.
For me it's paying respect to the efforts of people that are trying to improve their craft in a world full of camera phones and photos that were taken with automatic mode.
Edited by VividArt: 07/07/2015 - 19:52
RobL
Posted 07/07/2015 - 22:52 Link
I don't do Facebook or Twitter; am on LInkedIn but fed up with constantly being asked to join with people who see me as a sales lead. My son is an avid FB user and if one of the crowd doesn't get many 'likes' from an entry they get all arsy! And that's the insidious part, not getting many 'likes' implies a negative response rather than just no comment.
Smeggypants
Posted 08/07/2015 - 06:06 Link
People who upload photographs have not only made some effort to take the photo in the first place they've also made an effort to edit it and considered it worthy of being shared and are thus proud if it. A response that's of the same meagre value as a Facebook "like" is an insult to their efforts IMO

Quote:
We're not all technically competent to necessarily leave comments, or sometimes we're just in a rush.

Two excuses that don't wash IMO. This isn't Facebook where getting a 1000 likes can cure this baby's leukaemia. If you're in a rush then wait until you've got some time. If you don't feel technically competent so what? Photographs are about art. You can comment on how the image makes you feel emotionally or artistically.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
bwlchmawr
Posted 08/07/2015 - 13:33 Link
It's not a big issue, really, but "Like" cheapens the process a bit. I shan't use it.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
geordie01
Posted 08/07/2015 - 16:37 Link
I think we now need a report button in the gallery now !!
davidwozhere
Posted 09/07/2015 - 00:43 Link
I can understand why the boffins put it there and I appreciate its 'modernity'. As I said somewhere else though, it doesn't seem to be getting much use - maybe the reasons are as laid out above? Personally, I would never just 'like' an image. If it's that good I comment - however briefly.

Now, following on from the logic concerning those who feel ill equipped to make comments, that inability stretches to NOT liking something too. Where is the "Don't Like" button?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
johnriley
Posted 09/07/2015 - 08:33 Link
Like is a positive comment, Don't Like isn't? My Grandad used to say "If you've nothing good to say, don't say it" so maybe that's the same philosophy. If we want to say we don't like something that's fine, but a constructive comment as to why and some ideas of how to put it right are then positive.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.