k7 card

theonenadeem

Link Posted 08/08/2014 - 01:57
Hello...I am having to replace my sd card for my k7 . I have noticed a firmware upgrade which accepts sdxc cards. but am baffled by the arrray of cards .
can anyone tell me which cards are use- able on my k7.

Regards

Nadeem

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 08/08/2014 - 07:42
It can get confusing, have a look HERE. Plenty to choose from, and I've used them before so I know its a good company.

You should do the firmware update, they can add support for various things, but they always help keep the camera nice and fresh so to speak.

theonenadeem

Link Posted 08/08/2014 - 15:56
cheers maybe i should have said what is the fastest card i can use on the k7, after a firmware upgrade?

stub

Link Posted 08/08/2014 - 17:37
After the upgrade you can use any card on the market. The k7 will buffer the images before writing to the card..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

gartmore

Link Posted 09/08/2014 - 08:24
You will probably find that the write speed is determined by the camera and the fastest cards wont work at their full potential except when downloading.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

theonenadeem

Link Posted 10/08/2014 - 00:06
Gartmore do you know where i can find the li formation on write speed ? Regards

JohnX

Link Posted 10/08/2014 - 11:34
Unless you're using the camera in continuous shooting mode you won't get much if any advantage from fast(er) SD cards.

As said already, the camera memory will buffer the shots and will become the bottle-neck in that if fills quicker than the card can write.

Tell us exactly why you feel you need another(faster)card for your K7 please.

As to information on write speed of cards, it is included in each cards specs.

As far as the camera is concerned, it'll be in the manual, but I'd look for input from K7 shooters here and in other forums, and/or old reviews of the K7 to get an idea of what all this talk about card and camera 'speed' means in practice.
Last Edited by JohnX on 10/08/2014 - 11:39

stub

Link Posted 10/08/2014 - 17:59
As a K7 owner the card speed in the camera is of little relevance. The faster cards cost more money. The average 30mb/sec class 10 card. Will in Jpeg mode shoot until the card fills up. So no worries about anything. But If your shooting raw. After approx. 6 frames the camera buffer fills up and wont take anymore shots until that buffer has emptied. In my experience faster cards have made little difference to these facts. So spending money on faster cards is a bit of a waste. Though once taken out of the camera and used in a usb3 reader. The faster cards perform better. Though the difference for me is negligible compared to the extra cost. Though in my opinion all SD cards these days are relatively cheap..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Algernon

Link Posted 10/08/2014 - 19:58
Now with USB 3.0 being on all new PC's it's better to buy only
the fastest cards for downloading to the PC. Some are quite
fast but trail well behind Flash Drives.

Anyone with a PC without USB 3.0 can get a PCI-E card for about
£10 which will give them the faster downloads.

I timed a 16gb Sandisk Extreme Flash Drive (cost £11) the other
day copying 500GB of DNG files to RamDisk and it took under
4 seconds....... 150 MB/s (Sandisk claim 200) ..... Wow!!!

Any new cards I buy now need to be at least 70 - 95 MB/s
jobbies. I don't need it for shooting but don't want
to be WAITING ALL MINUTE while it downloads

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 10/08/2014 - 20:06

gwing

Link Posted 14/08/2014 - 11:55
Yes on my k7 the faster cards made little difference except for download. But on my k30 the stupidly fast card doubles raw frame rate after buffer is full, clears buffer faster and generally feels much more responsive so for me is very worthwhile.

sterretje

Link Posted 06/02/2015 - 06:35
FYI, you will probably need your old card to do the upgrade of the firmware.

If the camera does not support SDXC at this stage, it will more than likely not be able to read SDXC to do the upgrade.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.