K3ii replacement

JAK

Link Posted 27/12/2018 - 15:30
I'm sure many are quite content with their older Pentax cameras and are thankful there aren't new ones coming out every few months as they don't normally give them away for free! Even when there is a new model out theirr old one doesn't suddenly stop doing what it did. Some folk are still content using 50 year old M42 and early K mount film cameras!
I suppose some people buy every new camera and lens the company make but if they do they will have spent a tidy sum on their K-1, K-1ii, K-3, K-3ii, K-50, K-70, KP, 15-30, 24-70, 28-105, 70-200, 150-450, 560, 50mm f/1.4 (and probably more besides that I've forgotten about) gear in less than the last five years. Heck, what do people want and expect? Mirrorless cameras aren't everyone's thing and not everyone is waiting to buy a new camera just for the sake of it.
John K

pschlute

Link Posted 27/12/2018 - 16:20
Agreed John

I can understand a dedicated sports/wildlife photographer going with another brand because of the autofocus. But they will not have waited until 2018 to make that decision.

I can understand the attraction of mirrorless if you really want a lighter and smaller camera.

But for the kind of pictures I take I could fish my K10D out of retirement and still be more than happy with the results. Chasing the latest release for it's own sake is pointless.
Peter

My Flickr page

Algernon

Link Posted 27/12/2018 - 16:43
I'm glad Pentax never brought out anything like the Nikon Z's Their forums such as DPR are full of complaints

Just imagine the complaints if Pentax brought out a camera with AF as bad as.....

SEE: AF-C with tracking - performance
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z7/8

AT LEAST NOW NO ONE CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT PENTAX AF

I'm suspicious that they haven't shown the cyclists face and glasses on the crop photos...... Could it be than none of the 16 shots are in focus.

How about a camera that you have to grip so tight that your fingers dig into the rubber .....
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4339571?page=2

The other man's arse certainly isn't cleaner

---
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 27/12/2018 - 17:12

womble

Link Posted 30/12/2018 - 10:34
I've had my K-3 for over four years and haven't felt any need to replace it. I really don't want any more pixels, it already eats up disk space. The built in GPS of the Mk II is tempting, but I have an external GPS which works fine. The levels in the viewfinder of the K-1 would be nice, but that's a lots of dosh for a couple of levels... And if I really need "full frame" I can just use my LX.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the cameraÖ they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

MrB

Link Posted 30/12/2018 - 13:21
Algernon wrote:

The other man's arse certainly isn't cleaner
---

You have a way with words, Algi - that's quite a graphic analogy!

Philip

davidwozhere

Link Posted 31/12/2018 - 01:27
Sitting on my desk at present are the *istD, K5 and K3ii, all three of which are used regularly. I keep being tempted by a K1 now and then but I keep asking myself, "what do you want one of those for?" On the other hand, I could do with upgrading my working lenses but nearly every review you read talks about not if, but when the Self Destruct Motors will fail. Being on a fixed pension, I cannot justify blowing almost four figures on a near certain lemon - and the one I'd like can't be converted to screw drive without a complete rebuild!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Last Edited by davidwozhere on 31/12/2018 - 01:30

johnriley

Link Posted 31/12/2018 - 09:28
Unfortunately a reputation for something takes a long time to die away on the internet, if it ever does. There's no reason to suppose that any new lens will fail any sooner than anything else we buy and I wouldn't let past woes stop me.

Also, the K-1 is brilliant, if you want one go for it! I was glad that I did.
Best regards, John

davidtrout

Link Posted 31/12/2018 - 10:07
womble wrote:
I've had my K-3 for over four years and haven't felt any need to replace it. I really don't want any more pixels, it already eats up disk space.

Me too. My K3 is more than four years old and its still my No. 1 camera body, backed up by a K5 and a K30. When the K1 was still quite new I considered buying one but spent the money instead on glass - a D FA*70-200mm zoom. Its heavy and quite expensive but I got a great discount from SRS on it. It replaced my previous fixed focal length DA*200mm lens which lacked the flexibility I needed.
The K30 is my answer to going mirrorless as its light and great for carrying around when I'm doing urban photography. Unlike some people who had unfortunate experiences with the K30 mine has never let me down.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 04/02/2019 - 11:47
Sources tell me we'll know more at the end of the month, I think 22nd was mentioned.

I won't name names but they indicated what would transpire would give us an indication of the future direction of Pentax........said 'they had lost their way'...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 04/02/2019 - 11:48
less complimentary about new Olympus launches too...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Gwyn

Link Posted 04/02/2019 - 12:28
ilovesaabs wrote:
Sources tell me we'll know more at the end of the month, I think 22nd was mentioned.

I won't name names but they indicated what would transpire would give us an indication of the future direction of Pentax........said 'they had lost their way'...

Curiouser and curiouser.

stu62

Link Posted 04/02/2019 - 15:12
Donít think anyone saw the Olympus new camera coming.
At least they didnít stop making a camera befor there was a new one to take its place in fact I donít think any of the manufacturers have done that apart from pentax
Last Edited by stu62 on 04/02/2019 - 15:16

JAK

Link Posted 04/02/2019 - 15:16
ilovesaabs wrote:

An M42 mount DSLR perhaps then! (Or even M37.)

The image is viewed on what was the reflex screen!

Actually what would be good is a smaller, lighter FF DSLR akin to an ME/MX. Something suggests to me that could only be achieved in something similar to the current FF Sony offering (mirrorless.) Perhaps buying in a rebadged/adapted design.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 04/02/2019 - 15:37

davidstorm

Link Posted 04/02/2019 - 15:40
johnriley wrote:
Unfortunately a reputation for something takes a long time to die away on the internet, if it ever does. There's no reason to suppose that any new lens will fail any sooner than anything else we buy and I wouldn't let past woes stop me.

Also, the K-1 is brilliant, if you want one go for it! I was glad that I did.

I know it's not the topic of this thread, but I think your quote is not quite correct John if you include the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135. The continued failure of SDM motors in these lenses is not just a reputation on the internet it's absolute fact and they continue to fail even on the most recently manufactured or repaired lenses.

My second DA*50-135, bought from a forum member only a couple of months ago has started to display the failure symptoms now, although it was fine when I got it. My original one has already failed and will be converted to screw drive soon. There are too many reports of this for it to be an internet reputation, I think your head is stuck in the sand on this topic.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Algernon

Link Posted 04/02/2019 - 16:45
ilovesaabs wrote:

The 11-18mm is due to be available from the 22nd. It would be foolish to overshadow that with details of a new camera especially seeing that they are aiming the lens at K-5ii, K-3. K-P owners etc.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/star_lens/special/sp_da11-18/

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.