Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K3ii replacement

michaelblue
Posted 07/09/2018 - 21:49 Link
HarisF1 wrote:
stu62 wrote:
Quote:
MIRRORLESS i wonder with all that is going on at the moment , oh sorry that would have to be a K1iii

Think Ricoh missed that one wit the Kp and I’m not the only one to have said that

Maybe they missed it with the KP but it's such a great camera. I think it's got a rep like the K-S1 in that people think it's an awful camera but it actually isn't.

It certainly is! I just swapped my K3II for one and the high ISO is WAY better, AFC is better too and ergonomics are also nicer.

I'm so glad they didn't put one of those awful electronic viewfinders in it just to get rid of the mirror box, which incidentally is quite small on the KP
Regards,
Michael
Edited by michaelblue: 07/09/2018 - 21:52
wvbarnes
Posted 07/09/2018 - 22:25 Link
Hi all,

I bought my K3II late on as I did with previous models. It is a superb camera. AF is much better.

Many other makes have slowed down replacements or only done minor upgrades. Some have also sadly downgraded taking our second card slots etc.

I like APS-C and hope it continues but with more quick to focus light weight lenses like the 55 - 300 PLM that lives on my camera. Perhaps a light 400mm? I don't get big heavy lenses for APSC.

I read the hardware in current Pentaxes requires a redesign for 4K video. Useless to me as my PC is HD for now.

Flippy screens just add to weight and bulk. I'd like to see slimmed down monocoque APSC next time. Weight gain from K5 to last K3 was noticable.

I would like an ISO wheel.I do like two card slots. Wifi and bluetooth built in would be good. A decent handbook as K5 would be nice. Won't happen.

Must be time to modernise the battery with latest technology.
pschlute
Posted 26/12/2018 - 20:10 Link
I have owned three Pentax DSLRs, a DS; a K10; and now a K1. My longest gap between changing cameras was 8 years.
Now my K1 has a lot more features and can do many things my K10 cannot. But if I had to spend a day taking photos with the K10 I can still produce excellent images.
What exactly can your Current Pentax not do ?
Edited by pschlute: 26/12/2018 - 20:11
stu62
Posted 27/12/2018 - 12:10 Link
I don’t have any Pentax now left as there is no support for Pentax and Pentax donot comunicate with its customers it should not be down to its suppliers to be doing that
pschlute
Posted 27/12/2018 - 12:34 Link
stu62 wrote:
I don’t have any Pentax now left as there is no support for Pentax and Pentax donot comunicate with its customers it should not be down to its suppliers to be doing that

Pentax is a small camera manufacturer who's main market is Japan. They certainly engaged with customers there when deciding what was to be the next prime lens The 50mm 1.4 was decided on following that consultation.
stu62
Posted 27/12/2018 - 12:40 Link
That’s there problem if they are selling globally they need to communicate globaly they are listening to people in japan which are mainly portrait and landscape photographers and there boffins that say yes
pschlute
Posted 27/12/2018 - 13:18 Link
stu62 wrote:
That’s there problem if they are selling globally they need to communicate globaly they are listening to people in japan which are mainly portrait and landscape photographers and there boffins that say yes

So if 80% of their total sales are in Japan they should listen more to the 20% that are not ? I don't think so.

I thought you had stopped using Pentax gear because you wanted to go down the mirrorless route ?
stu62
Posted 27/12/2018 - 13:27 Link
No I was forced by the lack of support and no third party support with what I require and if you you are in business you don’t stop making your flagship cropped sensor camera without a new one there to take its place that is known as suicide for any company they proved that they can’t go forward any more with the k1 andk1ii the changes they did was minimul with no improvement on there auto focus tracking they are doing the same as they did with the lx
RobL
Posted 27/12/2018 - 13:38 Link
Given the rumours about the 100 year anniversary you may have been a tad premature.
stu62
Posted 27/12/2018 - 13:42 Link
Is that why the camera shops are leaving Pentax and not even taking them in as part ex that says a lot
stu62
Posted 27/12/2018 - 13:45 Link
Ricoh are like any other big company take on a small company to strip it if it’s assets
HarisF1
Posted 27/12/2018 - 14:23 Link
Have you spoken to the CEO of Ricoh?

Maybe you should ask him about why Pentax seem to be dying (in your eyes).

Most Pentax users are a bit irritated by the slow rate (not lack) of progress but we know that there's still more to come. It's an extremely deadly environment out there for consumer product companies and Pentax are playing it slow and steady. I'm more than happy with where they are.
All the gear with no idea
johnriley
Posted 27/12/2018 - 15:14 Link
I'm happy too, there's a lot of great Pentax kit available, with some exciting stuff to follow in due course. The 70-200mm f/4 will definitely hook me and the 50mm f/1.4 is just a matter of time before I buy....there's only so many lenses I can buy/afford realistically.

But it's not a problem in any event; anyone who isn't happy has a lot of other stuff available to buy. But beware "the grass is greener" because generally it isn't. One niggle just gets swapped for a different one.
Best regards, John
Chrism8
Posted 27/12/2018 - 15:24 Link
johnriley wrote:
But beware "the grass is greener" because generally it isn't. One niggle just gets swapped for a different one.

Couldn't agree more John, the best camera system out there is probably a mix of all the manufacturers strengths in one unit, never going to happen !!

Master what you have and learn to get the best from it for your style / subjects.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
JAK
Posted 27/12/2018 - 15:30 Link
I'm sure many are quite content with their older Pentax cameras and are thankful there aren't new ones coming out every few months as they don't normally give them away for free! Even when there is a new model out theirr old one doesn't suddenly stop doing what it did. Some folk are still content using 50 year old M42 and early K mount film cameras!
I suppose some people buy every new camera and lens the company make but if they do they will have spent a tidy sum on their K-1, K-1ii, K-3, K-3ii, K-50, K-70, KP, 15-30, 24-70, 28-105, 70-200, 150-450, 560, 50mm f/1.4 (and probably more besides that I've forgotten about) gear in less than the last five years. Heck, what do people want and expect? Mirrorless cameras aren't everyone's thing and not everyone is waiting to buy a new camera just for the sake of it.
John K

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.