K3 iii

RobL

Link Posted 30/12/2020 - 08:31
I can’t tether my K1 to my smartphone for some reason but it will work with a mini iPad, the most useful aspect of which is selecting a focus point by just touching anywhere on the screen; if the new camera does that with the rear screen it will be a bonus, especially if the touchscreen is automatically deactivated when using the eyepiece (otherwise your nose selects focus points instead!). The rear screen looks quite large, I wonder whether they decided that a flip screen compromised that plus body depth and weight too much.

DOIK

Link Posted 30/12/2020 - 10:14
davidwozhere wrote:
Curious bit of kit but the camera isn't on the deck and the PoV isn't horizontal.

Nope. There's a gadget for almost anything.

Dig a hole to lower the camera

John

K10D

Link Posted 30/12/2020 - 11:13
womble wrote:
Also seriously, endlessly complaining about pure speculation seems utterly pointless. By all means moan about how long the delay has been, but FFS stop moaning about things we have no information about.

Ever thought about running for PM Kris?

Mike-P

Link Posted 30/12/2020 - 11:55
K10D wrote:
womble wrote:
Also seriously, endlessly complaining about pure speculation seems utterly pointless. By all means moan about how long the delay has been, but FFS stop moaning about things we have no information about.

Ever thought about running for PM Kris?

That's just going to cause a lot more tiers
. My Flickr

Lubbyman

Link Posted 30/12/2020 - 13:26
davidwozhere wrote:
Curious bit of kit but the camera isn't on the deck and the PoV isn't horizontal.

Never felt the need to have the camera on the deck and horizontal while attached to a tripod, but since the point has been made ...

Tripod collar hanging from ball head with Irix 150mm (my default macro lens) attached. Very flexible. Of course, it's a bit (!) more expensive than the average gadget or gizmo, but you do get a very good lens thrown in with the tripod collar .

For other lenses I think there's another way that doesn't involve digging a hole for the camera, but not sure I've got the right gizmo (yet...?).

Steve
Last Edited by Lubbyman on 30/12/2020 - 13:27

ronniemac

Link Posted 30/12/2020 - 18:35
I have a K-3ii and one of the features I use and enjoy is gps - it locates exactly where photos are taken in Lightroom using a google type map and has a good many other uses too including astrotracer. I am struggling to understand how in upgrading the K-3ii to the K-3iii, removal of this fantastic feature is an improvement. It could have been offered as an optional extra (like WG series), but no. Using the O-GPS appendage is an inconvenient retrograde step.

Also, given that all Pentax cameras since the original K-3ii, (i.e. K-1, K-70, K-P, K-1ii) have tilting rear screens, I expected that this would included in the K-3ii upgrade, but no.

There are other welcome improvements, but missing these two features means that I am far less likely to purchase the K-3iii. It seems that the marketing department have identified a substantial group of potential purchasers for whom these things are neither expected nor wanted. Let's hope they got it right, because the K-3iii, which I had so looked forward to, is not for me.

richandfleur

Link Posted 30/12/2020 - 19:01
Is there really no inbuilt gps?

pschlute

Link Posted 30/12/2020 - 19:59
richandfleur wrote:
Is there really no inbuilt gps?

It has a menu item for it.

Personally , as I don't do astro photography, I never use the GPS on the K1
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 30/12/2020 - 20:01

tigershoot

Link Posted 30/12/2020 - 22:58
I travel quite a bit (well I did!) and it would kill me not to have GPS. On safari in 2018 I used the K3ii with the DA150-450mm and to save swapping lenses, I used my K5 with the DA16-85mm. It bothers me when I check my photos in Lightroom and, for those taken on the K5, I have no location info.
K3ii, K-5, K-x, DA150-450mm, DA16-85WR, DA16-45, DA18-55WR, DA18-135WR, DA35 F2.4, M100mm F4 Macro, DA55-300mm, FA50mm 1.4, AF360 Flash, AF540 Flash

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 31/12/2020 - 09:57
Anything removed will be to either reduce the size and weight or to reduce the cost. From what Ricoh have said, I understand that the non-moving screen is due to the former and the GPS could be too, but if they can fit it into every phone then I can't imagine that modern GPS units are either very big or heavy. I imagine that not including it (if that's the case, which has not be demonstrated in any way) is a cost-cutting measure as it looks like the K-3 III will be the most expensive APS-C DSLR ever released, by any manufacturer. Perhaps that new viewfinder really drives up the cost or simply takes up more space (which I imagine is the case, given what we know about it).

An in-built flash is far more useful than a GPS unit anyway, so loss of GPS is really no loss at all as far as I'm concerned.

The changes to the way manual lenses are used is the biggest enticement for me, even though I use them less than I used to.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 31/12/2020 - 10:00

JohnX

Link Posted 31/12/2020 - 09:59
GPS. I've commented in another thread that the ability to connect to an app on a smartphone brings with it a number of opportunities, including GPS logging.

Perhaps the Pentax designers of the K3III have taken this into account and decided to use the space and technology in the camera for other things?

womble

Link Posted 31/12/2020 - 20:22
AFAIK, nothing has been confirmed either way about GPS so all the discussion is entirely moot.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

pschlute

Link Posted 31/12/2020 - 20:58
womble wrote:
AFAIK, nothing has been confirmed either way about GPS so all the discussion is entirely moot.

Kris, you are totally misunderstanding how forums and social media works

Some idiot posts a mistruth or lie, and all their followers re-tweet/post it as a fact.

Get with the program
Peter

My Flickr page

Gwyn

Link Posted 31/12/2020 - 21:35
Thankyou for that Peter,
There is no mention of GPS, there is no evidence reported of GPS. I read this on reliable websites.
Sorry. I shall now retreat and you can get on with discussing what the hell you like.

signed an idiot.

richandfleur

Link Posted 31/12/2020 - 22:37
Sad to see that sort of language here.

There has been a formal Pentax show and tell overseas, including cut in half display models etc
Assume the specs are pretty well sorted now.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.