K3 iii

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 00:26
Really excited by this..my K3 ii never gets out now..prefer K70..
Actually still regret selling my K3 mki..
Main thin for me is AF ..
Want to be able to focus on a bird in the sky..
Fingers crossed
Cheers,

Bruce

Waggy

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 16:10
I’d be really interested to know why you regret selling your K3 Mk1.

I still have the K3 Mk1 and was looking with interest at the new K3 Mkiii specs and was a bit disappointed that there doesn’t seem to be a GPS, Astrotracer or Flash built-in.

So, with there being no flip out screen, feature wise, it’s not going to be the step up from the Mk1 that I was hoping for. So I may end up looking for a second hand mk11 instead (I now wish I’d bought one when they were still in production)
Richard

pschlute

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 16:24
From the videos and limited reviews so far, I get the impression there will be a few more innovations yet to be revealed about this camera.

There is a "smartphone connection" menu item. This indicates a wifi/bluetooth connectivity of some sort. Once you have that there are many possibilities.

I am guessing that the camera can use the phone's GPS (if has none built-in), and there is certainly an Astrotracer menu item.

I am also guessing this is why they went for a fixed screen. I love the articulating screen on my K1, but how much more convenient would it be if your smartphone becomes the rear screen ?
Peter

My Flickr page

Mike-P

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 17:22
pschlute wrote:
I am also guessing this is why they went for a fixed screen. I love the articulating screen on my K1, but how much more convenient would it be if your smartphone becomes the rear screen ?

None whatsoever unless you have 2 pairs of hands.

If you need an overhead shot on the K-1 you tilt the screen down and hold the camera up, if you need a low shot you lower the K-1 and tilt the screen up ... using both hands. Try doing that with a mobile phone while holding the K-1 in the other hand (unless of course you are going to use some sort of holder attached to the hotshoe in which case the subject will be long gone by the time you get round to setting that up)

Also you can already do that on the K-1 and KP, the connection is flaky at best.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 28/12/2020 - 17:23

Gwyn

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 18:08
It all sounds a terrible idea Peter. I can't see how the astrotracer could work with your phone, especially as your average phone blasts out light at any excuse. As for using the phone instead of the screen - why not just use the phone camera in that case?
I am hoping there are some goodies still to be revealed but I fear not.

barkin

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 18:26
pschlute wrote:
I love the articulating screen on my K1, but how much more convenient would it be if your smartphone becomes the rear screen ?

You can already do that, after a fashion, with a Flucard in a K-3. It's OK if the camera's on a tripod...

pschlute

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 23:14
Yes I was thinking primarily when using a tripod which I do almost exclusively when using the screen "flipped". Hand-holding would be pretty hopeless
Peter

My Flickr page

davidwozhere

Link Posted 29/12/2020 - 00:08
The only way you can get onto the deck with a tripod is to have the camera upside down! I find the current smartfone tethering in the K1 to be worse than useless and using a flucard in a K3 is just short of a joke. So unless they have really made some strides there will be another pile of useless tech gimmickry. (And what possible use is a few million ISO??).
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

womble

Link Posted 29/12/2020 - 07:38
davidwozhere wrote:
(And what possible use is a few million ISO??).

That photo project I've been wanting to undertake for years of black cats in coal cellars...

More seriously though, I've always found that the maximum ISO of any camera (of any make) is borderline useless, BUT the usable maximum ISO keeps improving too. With my K20D anything over 400 was pretty ugly, with the K-3 I'll happily use 1600. If the K-3iii has usable 6400 then yay.

Also seriously, endlessly complaining about pure speculation seems utterly pointless. By all means moan about how long the delay has been, but FFS stop moaning about things we have no information about.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 29/12/2020 - 08:45
Mike-P wrote:
pschlute wrote:

None whatsoever unless you have 2 pairs of hands.

If you need an overhead shot on the K-1 you tilt the screen down and hold the camera up, if you need a low shot you lower the K-1 and tilt the screen up ... using both hands. Try doing that with a mobile phone while holding the K-1 in the other hand (unless of course you are going to use some sort of holder attached to the hotshoe in which case the subject will be long gone by the time you get round to setting that up)

Also you can already do that on the K-1 and KP, the connection is flaky at best.

This is an idea I had a while ago but I see I was beaten to it: https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Adapter-Samsung-Attaching-Photography/dp/B071CFDBJ...

A hotshoe mount for mobile phones, which will give you a tilt any way you need. Of course, it's more hassle than an up/down tilting screen, but also more flexible.

womble wrote:
davidwozhere wrote:
(And what possible use is a few million ISO??).

That photo project I've been wanting to undertake for years of black cats in coal cellars...

More seriously though, I've always found that the maximum ISO of any camera (of any make) is borderline useless, BUT the usable maximum ISO keeps improving too. With my K20D anything over 400 was pretty ugly, with the K-3 I'll happily use 1600. If the K-3iii has usable 6400 then yay.

Also seriously, endlessly complaining about pure speculation seems utterly pointless. By all means moan about how long the delay has been, but FFS stop moaning about things we have no information about.

I think the sensor in the new camera is the same as that used in some other newer APS-C cameras such as the Fujifilm X-T4 (though that's not Bayer of course) so check them to get an idea of what higher ISOs look like. I would imagine it's around a stop better that the K-3 original or mark II. These days there's more concentration on sensor read-out speed than on lowering the noise, but newer sensors are still better. ISO 1.6 million will be totally useless, as will half of that, and half of that... but it should be better than what we have now in APS-C.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

richandfleur

Link Posted 29/12/2020 - 08:55
The KP with its accelerator chip upped the useable iso quite a bit. Assume we’ll just see that ported to the K3-3

Lack of a floppy screen does seem an odd choice, especially how all in the went with the K-1 screen mechanism. The camera has to be in mirrorless mode to use a rear screen though so I assume they’re doubling down on the ‘Pentax does DSLR only’ theme. Touch screen is a welcome addition and I hope it works when reviewing shots as well as just the menus.

Tracking AF is what’s needed, though this has improved a lot for me with the PLM lens, so I do wonder how much of that is limited by the internal screw drive approach. A faster electronics processor is going to be needed for this, and I don’t think the original K-3 / K-1 cameras have the grunt required for this sort of tracking. (Just a hunch based on feedback findings from those looking into custom Pentax camera firmwares).

If they have returned mechanical stabilisation during video, plus upped the resolution (and hopefully bit rate) then this camera feels exactly what I’ve been after and hoping would come via firmware update to the original K-3.

All reports look very positive to me.

pschlute

Link Posted 29/12/2020 - 13:42
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

This is an idea I had a while ago but I see I was beaten to it: https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Adapter-Samsung-Attaching-Photography/dp/B071CFDBJ...

A hotshoe mount for mobile phones, which will give you a tilt any way you need. Of course, it's more hassle than an up/down tilting screen, but also more flexible.

Yes I should have made clear in my first post on the subject I was thinking primarily for tripod use. Last year I was taking some architectural photos and had the camera about a foot off the ground. While the tilting screen was handy, I still ended up with a very sore neck.
Peter

My Flickr page

richandfleur

Link Posted 29/12/2020 - 18:29
Yeah that’s a hot shoe to standard 1/4” male tripod thread. Onto which you can mount anything, and in that case it’s a GoPro mount and then onto a cell phone holder.

Funny thing is once you go tripod then there’s much less need for an optical viewfinder. Personally anything tripod (at night or landscapes for example) is instantly live view with digital zoom and focus peaking manual focus.
If you’re doing anything where a rear screen or cellphone display is involved, then you’re in mirrorless mode anyway.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 29/12/2020 - 19:36
davidwozhere wrote:
The only way you can get onto the deck with a tripod is to have the camera upside down!

Nope. There's a gadget for almost anything.

And for even lower and more fine control.

Add a right angle finder if you prefer an optical viewfinder and don't mind laying in mud or a Flu card (a bit clunky but it works) if you prefer live view, staying cleaner and being more upright.

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 30/12/2020 - 00:56
Curious bit of kit but the camera isn't on the deck and the PoV isn't horizontal.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.