K-S1 Love it or hate it but FWIW...

jules

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 04:37

Marat

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 07:29
If I was 30 years younger I can see the attraction. But after handling one I can see me buying a used one as a second body as the specs seem fantastic for the money.

So put me down for a love it.

jules

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 07:41
I'm in the boat with you Marat! One thing gives me pause and thats the fact that there will likely be a weathersealed version with a bigger grip pretty soon to replace the K50, I may find that one irresistable! The grip was really the only niggle I had when I handled one recently. It's beautifully solid and dense feeling, just needs a little more in the palm area which could be fixed with a slab of alloy and rubber, lack of a top screen and second dail really don't come into it after about five minutes playing I was pretty Au Fait with it and when you get the control system worked out it's really pretty good...
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

Marat

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 08:17
Now it's the lack of proper grip which appeals as I am thinking fitting it with a nice 21mm or 40mm limited and then it could slip into a coat pocket or side pouch on my bag.

richandfleur

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 09:47
I hear you Jules, in that I see this as the K-500 replacement presently and the K-50 version must surely be on the way.

Thing is though, despite the radical new looks and all, I'm scratching my head a bit as to what has really changed underneath. You get an AA filterless camera for presumably not much money, and that is the main difference that I can see.

I can't see the simulated AA filter as anything other than a sales gimmick personally, as it requires you to actively switch it on, which requires you to recognise on the day, in the field that you need it, which I honestly expect most people won't achieve.

So really it's a higher res sensor and no AA filter. Is that enough of a change? Once again I see it as a small upgrade, rather than a game changer/quantum shift/whatever people want to label a major upgrade change.

Reason I mention that is there is still no inbuilt wifi or any changes to the stupid movie SR shake reduction that actively stuffs up your video etc. It's 2014/15 now and these types of things are still not addressed. Personally I think adding GPS to the range for free would be the game changer, as this would put astrotracing in all cameras. That's a killer feature that would carry significant weight, IMHO as they say, more than simulated AA and pink colours and flashing LED's.

All my opinion only.

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 13:20
Whilst I would hope that the KS-2 is WR , as I understand it the KS range is going to be developed in parallel with the existing K range and not replace it. The KS range according to some senior executive interviewed recently is aimed at the younger generation impressed by flashing lights, bright colours, wireless devices generally who are not seen as the traditional Pentax customer. The K range continues to cater for us old fogeys that came from 35mm and is more 'traditional' in styling and features. I'm guessing that the KS-1 is designed to appeal more to female togs as well given the palette of colour options available

jules

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 21:54
1stEverPentax wrote:
Whilst I would hope that the KS-2 is WR , as I understand it the KS range is going to be developed in parallel with the existing K range and not replace it. The KS range according to some senior executive interviewed recently is aimed at the younger generation impressed by flashing lights, bright colours, wireless devices generally who are not seen as the traditional Pentax customer. The K range continues to cater for us old fogeys that came from 35mm and is more 'traditional' in styling and features. I'm guessing that the KS-1 is designed to appeal more to female togs as well given the palette of colour options available

Your taking me a bit literally there, I meant that there will likely be a K60 which will use certain aspects of the K-S1 design, the sensor the rear dial maybe but be weather sealed etc, like the K50, I did not mean that it would be part of the same range, clearly Ricoh want the innovation models to be different but it would be wasteful to only use things like say the "L" shaped body on one range when it looks to me at least that it would be very easy to weather seal, re design the grip so it fitted the hand better, paint it black and bingo! K60... I do hope they do a little more than that though!
Cheers Jules...

SteveLedger

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 00:38
1stEverPentax wrote:

Placement of a hyphen can make all the difference. It's K-S1 not KS-1

As far as I am concerned, the K-S1 is not merely designed for the young or for the female 'tog' who likes colour choices. It is designed for anyone who likes it.

Similar conclusions were drawn for the K-01 when it was first released. Now look at it, all us ol' fogeys have one too (and many loved the yellow)
Last Edited by SteveLedger on 07/11/2014 - 00:40

jules

Link Posted 19/11/2014 - 05:31
Firefox is playing up and I can't get a translation, I'm sure someone can help out here?

http://photo.yodobashi.com/gear/pentax/cameras/k-s1/index.html
Cheers Jules...

jules

Link Posted 19/11/2014 - 07:34
FWIW, badly translated...
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8...
Cheers Jules...

Last Edited by jules on 19/11/2014 - 07:35

richandfleur

Link Posted 19/11/2014 - 08:58

Nice photos at least. I like the style of them.

Holy Moly though, check out the noise at ISO 6400 on the night sky/moon shot.

CiderDrinker

Link Posted 24/11/2014 - 00:53
Just flicking throw channels (trouble sleeping) and QVC just had a Pentax K-S1 presentation and sold out. They were selling them for 450.

Looks like Ricoh is marketing department is working.
Digital: Pentax K-1 II + Grip, Pentax K3II + Grip, Pentax MX-1.
Lenses: Pentax D-FA 24-70mm 2.8, D-FA 15-30 2.8, D-FA 70-200 2.8*, Pentax 35mm 2.4, 50mm 1.8, 18-135mm WR, 55-300mm HD, Sigma 70-300mm (macro), Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
Film: Mamiya C330 Medium Format, Pentax Super ME.

jules

Link Posted 24/11/2014 - 04:40
QVC! Never thought of looking there, thats not a bad move on Ricoh's part, "Every little helps"
As one huge mega Corp used to say before it forgot where it came from, I like the idea of Pentax Ricoh, growing but not getting to be soo big they become cumbersome, or become "Holier than thou" like two or three other camera manufacturers have, or end up having a gorilla in the room at every board room meeting with a Sony Corp Magnum permanently pointed at their heads, "About the 5 axis I.B.I.S. don't mind if we use it do you? DO YOU, theres a good chap..." Ricoh have ideas, they are kind of niche ideas but ideas none the less, they are different and that seems to be a continium, I'll not like them all but they all seem to have an appeal to someone, so whilst any individual model may not top the best sellers list, they all do sell, do for me...
Cheers Jules...

jules

Link Posted 24/11/2014 - 10:07
Out for a K-S1 Walk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnw6a_jLd_8

Low light AF random "test"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnw6a_jLd_8

And how it sounds Vs others
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7VNeguwZmA
Cheers Jules...

davidstorm

Link Posted 24/11/2014 - 10:33
Interesting to see Jules that the Bologna Video was shot on a K-5! I wonder why the K-5 was used and not a K-S1? Perhaps it has better video quality?

Also, the shutter noise on the K-S1 vs. the K-30 vs. the K-x, seems to be identical between all three cameras. The noise from the shutter on the K-x was one reason why I upgraded, it's very loud compared to a K-5 or a K-3.

I think you've posted a wrong link on the second video, this points to the same place as the first one does.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.