K-50 anyone?
Posted 14/06/2013 - 10:16
Link
The very fact I want to use Pentax means I obviously want them to do well, otherwise there won't be anything from them at all. I meant don't care in the sense that I'm not on an evangelical mission to convert the world. My sense of enthusiasm has sometimes misguided a few into thinking otherwise, but that's life.
I don't share the feeling of doom and gloom, which has been with us from some since day 1. Since then, all the things promised have materialised in one form or another and lots of innovative things have been tried. Pentax have moved pretty swiftly into new territory whilst retaining their proper photographic roots. Even in simple ways, such as labelling lenses correctly rather than 35mm-equivalents-for-dummies.
I think they seem to be doing rather well at the moment.
I don't share the feeling of doom and gloom, which has been with us from some since day 1. Since then, all the things promised have materialised in one form or another and lots of innovative things have been tried. Pentax have moved pretty swiftly into new territory whilst retaining their proper photographic roots. Even in simple ways, such as labelling lenses correctly rather than 35mm-equivalents-for-dummies.
I think they seem to be doing rather well at the moment.
Best regards, John
Posted 14/06/2013 - 10:39
Link
Previously you looked at the range of Pentax DSLR's and the model names and thought, eh? Now there is the nascence of a clear strategy about what Pentax offers. It is immediately obvious and much more marketable.
At long last some common sense has prevailed. This is a great move and provides a foundation now to build at the higher end.
I would have liked to have seen the K500 at £399 but I understand the build quality justifies it. Now it's a case of getting the message across.
I think in a year's time the Pentax/Ricoh camera lineup will look very handsome.
At long last some common sense has prevailed. This is a great move and provides a foundation now to build at the higher end.
I would have liked to have seen the K500 at £399 but I understand the build quality justifies it. Now it's a case of getting the message across.
I think in a year's time the Pentax/Ricoh camera lineup will look very handsome.
Posted 14/06/2013 - 10:45
Link
johnriley wrote:
The very fact I want to use Pentax means I obviously want them to do well, otherwise there won't be anything from them at all. I meant don't care in the sense that I'm not on an evangelical mission to convert the world. My sense of enthusiasm has sometimes misguided a few into thinking otherwise, but that's life.
I don't share the feeling of doom and gloom, which has been with us from some since day 1. Since then, all the things promised have materialised in one form or another and lots of innovative things have been tried. Pentax have moved pretty swiftly into new territory whilst retaining their proper photographic roots. Even in simple ways, such as labelling lenses correctly rather than 35mm-equivalents-for-dummies.
I think they seem to be doing rather well at the moment.
But is just doing well, enough, I love and I mean really love my Q system but as a sales and marketing tool it's been a flop it could of been so much more. As the idea was a sound one and the people that took the time to try it properly have been convinced, but those who walk in to a electrical/camera store very rarely walk out with one.The very fact I want to use Pentax means I obviously want them to do well, otherwise there won't be anything from them at all. I meant don't care in the sense that I'm not on an evangelical mission to convert the world. My sense of enthusiasm has sometimes misguided a few into thinking otherwise, but that's life.
I don't share the feeling of doom and gloom, which has been with us from some since day 1. Since then, all the things promised have materialised in one form or another and lots of innovative things have been tried. Pentax have moved pretty swiftly into new territory whilst retaining their proper photographic roots. Even in simple ways, such as labelling lenses correctly rather than 35mm-equivalents-for-dummies.
I think they seem to be doing rather well at the moment.
It will be the same with these new cameras I am afraid.
I am also not into doom and gloom either and I can't be with the work I do, but I am a realist and my life revolves around profit margins and market shares,, but it doesn't matter if you are making toilets, cars or cameras you do have to know your market and then sell and sell well to that said market, that is where and like I said before many times this is only my individual thought, Pentax are failing.
Put it this way, when you first saw the Pentax K50 and 500, did you think wow and quickly reach for your credit card?
Posted 14/06/2013 - 10:55
Link
You must realise MattyH that expanding has to be done in a controlled and sustainable manner. Growing too quickly can destroy a company, and has done many times. From a smallish market share, Pentax are growing and sales in the USA, Japan, France and elsewhere doing very nicely. Now the UK is becoming more aggressively marketed, step by step.
Did I think wow and reach for my credit card? There are currently the following items that I would like to add, funds permitting: Q7 body, 15-45mm Q lens, Pentax Q adapter, K-5 IIs, MX-1 plus a long lens probably a Sigma 150-500mm as things stand. One step at a time though and the purchase will have to be staggered.
I don't need a K500 or a K50 as I already use the K-5, but there are plenty of photographers out there who do need them. Not every release is aimed at me as a target market, and that's absolutely fine.
Did I think wow and reach for my credit card? There are currently the following items that I would like to add, funds permitting: Q7 body, 15-45mm Q lens, Pentax Q adapter, K-5 IIs, MX-1 plus a long lens probably a Sigma 150-500mm as things stand. One step at a time though and the purchase will have to be staggered.
I don't need a K500 or a K50 as I already use the K-5, but there are plenty of photographers out there who do need them. Not every release is aimed at me as a target market, and that's absolutely fine.
Best regards, John
Posted 14/06/2013 - 11:01
Link
MattyH wrote:
Put it this way, when you first saw the Pentax K50 and 500, did you think wow and quickly reach for your credit card?
Why would I?Put it this way, when you first saw the Pentax K50 and 500, did you think wow and quickly reach for your credit card?
Why would any of us salivate for an entry level Canon or Nikon? Would you?
The Pentax re-vamp has started at the bottom end of the range. I'm already struggling to keep my hand off my wallet for a K-5IIs, but waiting to see what the next offering is at the top end
EDIT: And I would really like a Q7
Posted 14/06/2013 - 11:19
Link
John you are correct that expanding has to be done in a controlled and sustainable manner but it also has to be done with the right product.
Lets take it you are new to the world of DSLRs and you are looking for your first camera, now the first place to look is in many camera magazines, and what you do is scroll down and look at the price and then the specs of each one.then with maybe 3 or 4 cameras in mind you start to look at the Internet and maybe even forums like this one.
And then you start to notice that wait a minute I can buy a K30 instead of the K50 or a Kr instead of a K500, as they aren't much different and can save myself some money here, so yes we now have people investing into the brand but via the back door so to speak and no more money going back to Pentax.
Marketing and product placement is the number one investment any company can't afford to scrimp on, but Pentax is always left in the shadows, when was the last time you saw a Pentax TV advert on prime time TV?
The other day you could of been sat down talking to your wife saying I quite like the idea of a Dslr but then thought nothing more of it, then a week or so later whilst watching coronation street or whatever takes your fancy the ad break comes on the wife gets up to stick the kettle on and then low and behold A Pentax K500 advert appears and that triggers your thought process and you reach for your laptop or tablet type in K500 into google and your on a roll.
Lets take it you are new to the world of DSLRs and you are looking for your first camera, now the first place to look is in many camera magazines, and what you do is scroll down and look at the price and then the specs of each one.then with maybe 3 or 4 cameras in mind you start to look at the Internet and maybe even forums like this one.
And then you start to notice that wait a minute I can buy a K30 instead of the K50 or a Kr instead of a K500, as they aren't much different and can save myself some money here, so yes we now have people investing into the brand but via the back door so to speak and no more money going back to Pentax.
Marketing and product placement is the number one investment any company can't afford to scrimp on, but Pentax is always left in the shadows, when was the last time you saw a Pentax TV advert on prime time TV?
The other day you could of been sat down talking to your wife saying I quite like the idea of a Dslr but then thought nothing more of it, then a week or so later whilst watching coronation street or whatever takes your fancy the ad break comes on the wife gets up to stick the kettle on and then low and behold A Pentax K500 advert appears and that triggers your thought process and you reach for your laptop or tablet type in K500 into google and your on a roll.
Posted 14/06/2013 - 11:25
Link
Blythman wrote:
Why would any of us salivate for an entry level Canon or Nikon? Would you?
The Pentax re-vamp has started at the bottom end of the range. I'm already struggling to keep my hand off my wallet for a K-5IIs, but waiting to see what the next offering is at the top end
EDIT: And I would really like a Q7
To be honest I would not call the K50 or K30 for that matter entry level cameras but great cameras for the money or a great second body.MattyH wrote:
Put it this way, when you first saw the Pentax K50 and 500, did you think wow and quickly reach for your credit card?
Why would I?Put it this way, when you first saw the Pentax K50 and 500, did you think wow and quickly reach for your credit card?
Why would any of us salivate for an entry level Canon or Nikon? Would you?
The Pentax re-vamp has started at the bottom end of the range. I'm already struggling to keep my hand off my wallet for a K-5IIs, but waiting to see what the next offering is at the top end
EDIT: And I would really like a Q7
But like you I am more excited about the Q7, it must be my female side shining through
Posted 14/06/2013 - 11:30
Link
Interesting, but we're all forgetting that Pentax have been doing rather nicely on Bid-up TV, not something I would watch. The X-5 has been quietly (from our point of view) racking up sales on TV and via outlets we wouldn't normally come across.
And why not, good for them!
And why not, good for them!
Best regards, John
Posted 14/06/2013 - 11:33
Link
MattyH wrote:
Put it this way, when you first saw the Pentax K50 and 500, did you think wow and quickly reach for your credit card?
Put it this way, when I saw the K30 I went wow and reached for my credit card. But something held me back - the styling. Some aspects of it I liked, like the grip, but some didn't quite work for me. I know styling is a stupid reason to not buy a camera, but then again, this is a piece of kit that you are going to be using for several years!Put it this way, when you first saw the Pentax K50 and 500, did you think wow and quickly reach for your credit card?
The K50 addresses this with a more conservative shape. They may have gone a bit too far the other way, but I think the design is at least more understated.
Posted 14/06/2013 - 11:38
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
The K50 addresses this with a more conservative shape. They may have gone a bit too far the other way, but I think the design is at least more understated.
A K30 in a pretty dress does not make for a great sales success
MattyH wrote:
Put it this way, when you first saw the Pentax K50 and 500, did you think wow and quickly reach for your credit card?
Put it this way, when I saw the K30 I went wow and reached for my credit card. But something held me back - the styling. Some aspects of it I liked, like the grip, but some didn't quite work for me. I know styling is a stupid reason to not buy a camera, but then again, this is a piece of kit that you are going to be using for several years!Put it this way, when you first saw the Pentax K50 and 500, did you think wow and quickly reach for your credit card?
The K50 addresses this with a more conservative shape. They may have gone a bit too far the other way, but I think the design is at least more understated.
Posted 14/06/2013 - 11:46
Link
The K30 is simply the best bang-per-buck enthusiast camera, in terms of 'traditional features'. It ought to be flying off the shelves. Unfortunately enthusiast photographers are a bit conservative, so the do-over makes sense to me.
In terms of low end gimmicky features, I am glad Pentax are being different and getting the traditional photography stuff right instead. The only thing I do sometimes wish for, would be a well implemented flippy flappy screen.
In terms of low end gimmicky features, I am glad Pentax are being different and getting the traditional photography stuff right instead. The only thing I do sometimes wish for, would be a well implemented flippy flappy screen.
Posted 14/06/2013 - 11:52
Link
johnriley wrote:
Interesting, but we're all forgetting that Pentax have been doing rather nicely on Bid-up TV, not something I would watch. The X-5 has been quietly (from our point of view) racking up sales on TV and via outlets we wouldn't normally come across.
And why not, good for them!
We bought our daughter an X5 for her birthday in a couple of weeks time, brand new for £89, but don't tell herInteresting, but we're all forgetting that Pentax have been doing rather nicely on Bid-up TV, not something I would watch. The X-5 has been quietly (from our point of view) racking up sales on TV and via outlets we wouldn't normally come across.
And why not, good for them!
I am sorry but we are back to marketing again, last week ITV had a weekly reach of 69.4% , Bid up TV had a weekly reach of 0.02% of the viewing public, now to invest in a 30 second ad in prime mid week viewing time will cost anything upto £20.000 this went upto £100.000 with the live Coronation street specials but just think of how many people you are reaching out to.
Posted 14/06/2013 - 11:59
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Is Bid-Up TV one of those channels where they flog tat for an ever decreasing price?
Yes I am afraid, this is why it's called the last stand TV in marketing circles, basically whatever you have tucked away in the back of your warehouse is sold at a loss to these TV channels, our company did it once and we still feel it de-valued our brand,Never again.
Is Bid-Up TV one of those channels where they flog tat for an ever decreasing price?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


996 posts
14 years
Staffordshire Moorlands
Pentax have basically extended their range of DSLRs from 2 to 3. Each pitched at a different market. How can this be a bad thing.
Not many current users will see the benefit of the entry point DSLR because they are already there (with a K-x/K-r) or beyond (with a K-30/K-5 variant). But why the negativity?
So if current Pentax fans can see no point, what hope have we got trying to convince new people and even sales staff that these two new cameras are better then the other big boy brands.
I just think Pentax/Ricoh could of spend there time,money and effort on something with more zing, the Pentax K30 is still a baby remember and still had a good 12 months on the market.
And increasing a range of products for a company who lets be honist,who hold a small persentage in the market place, in hard financial times is always a disaster waiting to happen, especially when the new product range is not offering anything new. I should know as this is my field as a Sales/Marketing Manager for a large sanitary ware company.