K-3 Firmware update

gwb67

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 18:19
Hi, has anyone else had any issues after installing the latest update?
I did mine about a month ago and this may just be a coincidence, but have noticed lately how my images are not as sharp as before.
I also use a K-3II and do notice a difference now between images from both cameras, whereas before I couldn't.
Maybe it's not the new firmware, but something's changed on my K-3.
Is it possible to revert back to the previous version and try it on that?
Thanks for any advice.

pgweber

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 19:07
Am I right in believing that updating the firmware will overwrite any lens focussing fine adjustments. Could that explain what the OP has reported?
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, 55-300 Mk1, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm

gwb67

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 20:55
I hadn't set up any lens adjustment but can understand it'd be overwritten.

JAK

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 21:34
gwb67 wrote:
Hi, has anyone else had any issues after installing the latest update?
I did mine about a month ago and this may just be a coincidence, but have noticed lately how my images are not as sharp as before.
I also use a K-3II and do notice a difference now between images from both cameras, whereas before I couldn't.
Maybe it's not the new firmware, but something's changed on my K-3.
Is it possible to revert back to the previous version and try it on that?
Thanks for any advice.

I don''t believe attempting a direct firmware downgrade will work but have not needed to try it. It certainly didn't work with earlier Pentaxs. You'd think there would be an easy method to do this though.
I believe the only way would be to modify the old version's code in the bin file to give it a new version number that is higher than the current one. Then to go back to the current one you'd have to modify that to a higher version number still. All at your own risk of course! FWIW I've not noticed the issue myself nor heard anyone else make mention of it.
If you have specific examples why not take it up with Ricoh? Maybe you've spotted something no one else has.

Edit:
I've just looked at the bin file in a hex editor and the location of the version number didn't leap out at me.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 29/01/2017 - 21:50

gwb67

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 22:24
Ok thanks for that.
I can't be 100% sure it's due to the firmware upgrade but that is the only thing that's changed.
On their own, the images are ok but not great. But when compared with the same shots taken with the K-3II, the difference is clear.

wvbarnes

Link Posted 29/01/2017 - 22:54
My K3 is fine including with the update for the very quick and accurately focusing new pulse motor 55 - 300mm. See my pics in gallery on here.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.