Just another old fogey...

Snoops27

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 17:21
Hi guys/girls, I'm 61yrs old, not exactly new to photography but new to all the digital technology hidden in the depths of modern cameras. I'm in the market for a new camera and have been looking at the K50 as a possible starting off point for my renewed interest in photography. Other cameras I've looked at are the Canon 600D and the Nikon D3300, but I keep coming back to the Pentax as my favourite. Can anyone spare the time to convince me I'm making the right decision or just tell me how they are getting along with their K50 (or K30 as I believe they are very similar). I'm not swayed by all the hype that the Canon/Nikon fanboys come out with; I strongly believe that if something does what it's supposed to do , and does it well, that it doesn't matter what it's called or who made it. Anyway, I'll stop waffling on (for now,LOL). I hope to get some sound advice for now and lots of help later as no doubt I'll need it. Happy to meet you all....
Follow me, I'm right behind you...

johnriley

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 17:33
Pentax offers weather resistance, beautiful image quality and a very ergonomic, elegant design. You won't go far wrong and the K50 should give you superb results.

You could pay more for a K-5 or K-3, but unless you need the extra features, you don't have to in order to make great images.
Best regards, John

Helpful

wvbarnes

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 17:57
If you can find a Pentax to try for yourself it'll provide all the evidence you might need.

I have a K5 but have owned KX and KR's. The newer K30 and K50 have very high specs with the absence of a top LCD. the ultrasonic sensor cleaning and quieter shutters of the heavier K5 and K3 models. A used K5 is a real bargain nowadays.The K30 could be a good buy with little difference other than its look which has gone more conventional with the K50.

Try one, buy one used and if you don't like it sell it back to users on here.

Helpful

Snoops27

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 18:12
Thanks John, I'm just a keen amateur so the extra features these other models have aren't really important to me. As long as the images are good quality, I'll be happy. Regards, Alan..
johnriley wrote:
Pentax offers weather resistance, beautiful image quality and a very ergonomic, elegant design. You won't go far wrong and the K50 should give you superb results.

You could pay more for a K-5 or K-3, but unless you need the extra features, you don't have to in order to make great images.

Snoops27

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 18:17
Great advice, thanks. I'll have a wee look at the others you mentioned. The quieter shutters are pause for thought though. More investigating to be done I fear..lol. Best regards, Alan...
wvbarnes wrote:
If you can find a Pentax to try for yourself it'll provide all the evidence you might need.

I have a K5 but have owned KX and KR's. The newer K30 and K50 have very high specs with the absence of a top LCD. the ultrasonic sensor cleaning and quieter shutters of the heavier K5 and K3 models. A used K5 is a real bargain nowadays.The K30 could be a good buy with little difference other than its look which has gone more conventional with the K50.

Try one, buy one used and if you don't like it sell it back to users on here.

McGregNi

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 18:28
Better still buy a new one Pentax offer great value and there's nothing like unpacking that box with that brand new smell and feel, plus the reassurance of a warranty...oops, better stop, don't want to sound like a STAFF MEMBER!

Welcome snoops, hope you enjoy choosing your camera and sharing it and your shots with us.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 11/07/2014 - 18:33

swarf

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 19:24
As very few modern DSLRs produce 'poor'images , for me the key advantages of Pentax are the ergonomics, the weather resistance and the sheer quality feel compared to the canikons, which IMHO feel cheep and plasticy in comparison.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

thespirit3

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 19:40
Plus, we have in body image stabilisation and a standard mount which means we have a huge range of classic glass available, all which inherit image stabilisation. Plus, with a body driven focus drive it means on the lower end glass the money is spent on optics rather than drive electronics - plus it makes the pancake lenses possible (or at least affordable).

Much of the above is common with Sony, Olympus etc - but most definitely not true of Cannon or Nikon.

However, all DSLRs are exceptionally good nowadays and whatever brand you buy will usually hold its value; you can't go far wrong regardless of brand. However, I would steer you towards Sony/Olympus/Pentax for the above reasons.

I guess a Cannon / Nikon user would disagree

vic cross

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 20:14
You haven't put your location on your avatar. If we new where you are the I'm sure if you asked then a Pentax owner nearby would let you have a hands on "fealy" session. After all we're a friendly bunch.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

tyronet2000

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 20:19
Hello and Welcome Alan, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in this forum.
Regards
Stan

PPG

cbrog

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 20:39
Why on earth do you consider yourself an old fogey at 61 Alan?
That's nothing on this site :

(And I was demobilised from the Services the year you were born )

You wont go far wrong with a Pentax though - I have used them since the early sixties and went straight back to them when I took up digital photography and purchased a K10D some years back. And I agree that the K5 is very much a real bargain.

Roger.
Last Edited by cbrog on 11/07/2014 - 20:43

vic cross

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 20:43
S Roger says at 61 you're just a kid. I can give you 15 years and I'm one of the young ones CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

McGregNi

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 20:47
Huh? ... I thought this was THE Pentax site for the younger, hipper and cooler photographer ... thats why I felt I really needed to stick around!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

wvbarnes

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 20:52
McGregNi wrote:
Huh? ... I thought this was THE Pentax site for the younger, hipper and cooler photographer ... thats why I felt I really needed to stick around!

I thought it was like owning sports cars, when you're young enough to enjoy them most you can't afford them (I still can't afford sports cars)

cbrog

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 21:08
You wouldn't want to see what I was riding and sold to buy my K5 and 1 or 4 lenses and and and..

Roger
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.