Greetings from Across the Pond!

MOintLek2L

Link Posted 09/07/2014 - 15:48
Let me introduce myself. Call me TJ. Fulton, Missouri, USA, has been my home for the last 12 years. Working at a power generation plant pays the bills, plus my military stipend keeps life comfortable. I'm getting closer to a second retirement, most of the kids are out of the house, my wife wants to travel more, and I want to pick up an old hobby once again.

I will soon have a Pentax K-x in my camera kit. The kit sat idle for over fifteen years, because I made excuses about digital technology taking over and a hectic family life required more compact camera gear. Now, I'm selling off a Nikon N75 (my father's tools for his instructor duties)--along with several Tamron lenses--as liquid assets to purchase the K-x and accessories I want for the long-haul. The K-x will replace the Pentax SuperProgram that I used and loved all those years ago when I first got serious about photography. I still have a stockpile of K-mount lenses and a host of filters, plus an old-style SunPak flash-grip. With the new digital format coupled with the dependable familiar lenses, I anticipate reigniting my passion for "finding the right photo-op" wherever I go.

Here's to getting to know you and sharing some truly amazing experiences!
Bless,
TJW
Pentax K-x with K-mount lenses from 1980's SuperProgram
==========
Watching the painter painting...
And all the time, the light is changing...and he keeps painting...
That bit there, it was an accident, but he's so pleased;
It's the best mistake he could make...

-- Kate Bush, "An Architect's Dream," from the album Aerial

Fletcher8

Link Posted 09/07/2014 - 16:00
Welcome TJ from Missouri, i look forward to seeing some images from across the pond.
Fletcher8.

MOintLek2L

Link Posted 09/07/2014 - 16:04
Fletcher,
I'm planning some 'local interest' shots, plus the obligatory 'hike through the woods' snapshots. Don't want to bore y'all with family photos, so I'll get on my travelling shoes and pick out some suitable landmarks for the compositions. Perhaps you'll note the terrain here is not so different than there, and that we're all tied together a bit more than we realize.

Bless,
TJW
==========

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 09/07/2014 - 16:28
Welcome!
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

whatsthisbuttondo

Link Posted 09/07/2014 - 16:33
And a hearty welcome from me

alfpics

Link Posted 09/07/2014 - 18:56
welcome from over here as well!
Andy

Stuey

Link Posted 09/07/2014 - 20:57
Hello and Welcome
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

fritzthedog

Link Posted 09/07/2014 - 21:28
Welcome TJ from the U S of A - greetings from the UK

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

davidstorm

Link Posted 09/07/2014 - 21:45
Hello TJ, welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it.

Best wishes
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Gwyn

Link Posted 09/07/2014 - 22:37
Hello TJ. Welcome to the forum.

Drove route 66 many many moons ago so have crossed your state. Loved the Meramec Caverns .

MOintLek2L

Link Posted 11/07/2014 - 17:48

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
I recognize that most of you are in the UK (and I'm not), yet some of you travel extensively, even to the US. Therefore I have no hesitation in keeping up a running dialog with the group. For over nine years, I used to frequent the H2G2 bulletinboard site hosted by the BBC (until it came under new management) and developed a truly wonderful set of friends from around the globe. I miss that interaction. With the resurgence of my passion for photography, I know I'll depend heavily upon your expertise for all things Pentax, as well as your personal finesse with the art of capturing just the right moment.

Gwyn, I know your trip along the iconic Route 66 must have been scenic, enlightening, and different from what you see in Europe. When I got a chance to live in Germany for four years (I was born there, then returned as an adult in the USAF), I noted the sheer number of vacationers from your country who would pass through the Eifel region where I lived. It was a yearly ritual, actually for all the neighboring countries to make time to go on holiday throughout Europe, sometimes for a month or more. Here in the US, that's not so common. Many folks are a bit 'isolationist' and regard their town as "there's no place like home." Personally, if I can go past a previous border to see something different, learn something new, or meet people with a variety of uncommon pastimes, it simply adds to my core of experience and makes me better for it. I like "inclusivity" rather than "exclusivity." Makes the days more interesting, dontcha think?

Thank you all, in advance, for your companionship and sage advice,
TJW
==========

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 12/07/2014 - 08:05
Fulton is where Churchill made his famous "Iron curtain" speech after the war, wasn't it?
Welcome. It'll be good to see some pictures from new locations.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

MOintLek2L

Link Posted 13/07/2014 - 14:52
Andrew,
You are indeed correct! I had always thought Churchill gave the speech in Westminster Abbey, but to my surprise, he came to a small town in the Midwest US to do so. Makes me wonder how Fulton draws such dignitaries as Churchill, Thatcher, Gorbachev, Reagan. How do we rate having a section of the Berlin Wall installed at Westminster University? Why is there a replica of the Firemen's Memorial just north in Kingdom City? How did Callaway County manage to secede from the Union AND not join the Confederacy, becoming its own kingdom during our Civil War?

More history and photos to come...

TJW
==========

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.