Jessops fall out with pentax


Algernon

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 14:25
Jessops had a website which worked OK.... you typed Pentax into the search box and it listed all the Pentax tagged items including Sigma and Tamron lenses and you could happily look through the 3-4 quite well laid out pages.

Now someone has decided that this just won't do..... people could actually buy things instead of looking at a load of flash graphics...... so the site has been updated so that it's not so buyer friendly Now you get taken to a Pentax Shop complete with flash graphics and a video of the K-5...... Hell of a job to find what you want and Sigma and Tamron aren't listed....

They have a dropdown menu which lists lenses and when you click on it there's a very handy "shop by fitting" selection except it doesn't list Pentax even though they stock Pentax lenses. It just lists 'Canon Nikon 4/3rds and Sony'...... Just out of curiosity click Sony.... It comes up Lenses (0) .... They haven't got any

Luckily they haven't updated a search for "Pentax lenses" it still gives the old list and shows 36 lenses of all makes in Pentax fitting This includes the Tamron 70-300mm at £99.95 which isn't on the list of Tamron lenses listed under Tamron Pentax fitting via the menu.... so how are you supposed to find it?

Tamron 70-300mm link
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 08/04/2012 - 14:26

johnriley

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 14:34
SRS do very well for us so do check out www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk
Best regards, John

DrOrloff

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 14:36
Very good post George, I think you might have hit the nail on the head. I found the Jessops staff in Brighton to be knowledgable, enthusiastic and extremely helpful. I found the staff in Bromley friendly and clueless. I wrote to Chris at SRS but he must be on holiday. Park Cameras isn't far from Brighton but I just didn't have the time. They don't have any Q's either where I'm going for my next UK trip. Of the other two cameras I wanted to see was the Ricoh GR4 was equally impossible to track down and the Panasonic GF3 was everywhere.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

wvbarnes

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 14:41
Our Jessops in Chesterfield is tiny and very poorly stocked with anything remotely interesting. No used section any more, few accesories, lots of photo printing options and no Pentax.

Our London Camera Exchange has restarted selling used, has the odd used Pentax lens but stocks nothing Pentax related new at all unless you mak a special order.

Our chemist shop Dents was a main Pentax dealer once, now they are just a lab with a few Fujii camers, tripods and bags and only Canikon fit Tamron lenses. hopeless!

Our Currys/PC World Dixons or whatever it's called this week has the odd Pentax KX or KR for a while but nothing to go with it, not even any lenses.

The only observation I'd add is Pentax is not served at all the other makes only badly! Amazing the hobby exists at all isn't it?

Shaky

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 15:53
George Lazarette wrote:
As for why they won't stock Pentax, well here's a clue. Their trade creditors at January 2011 amounted to £49 million. Their stock amounted to £22 million (just under a month's sales). So Jessops are using their creditors to fund their business generally, not just the stock. They're not alone in doing that, of course, but who wants to fund a business that's losing money?

Rather than get into the technicalities of typically structurally negative working capital in most retail businesses, usually provided either by 30/60 days credit from suppliers versus cash receipts from customers, or as I suspect is the case with slr kit at Jessops goods supplied on a sale or return basis, I’ll confine myself to the answer to your question:

Those suppliers that wish to do business with the UK’s dominant retail/distribution outlet and have a presence at the nation’s favourite try-before-you-internet-buy location.

MarkTaylor

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 15:58
wvbarnes wrote:
Amazing the hobby exists at all isn't it?

As a tabletop role-playing gamer (my other hobby) this comment is vaguely amusing to me. It's an industry so fraught with difficulties that specialist retailers regularly close their doors and hobby magazines regularly go out of print even when the economy is booming, and the last major high street retail stores (Virgin Megastores) to stock hobby related materials quit the market years ago. In comparison, it makes photography look like the height of mainstream popular culture.
My FlickrPentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Last Edited by MarkTaylor on 08/04/2012 - 15:59

George Lazarette

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 18:05
Shaky wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:
As for why they won't stock Pentax, well here's a clue. Their trade creditors at January 2011 amounted to £49 million. Their stock amounted to £22 million (just under a month's sales). So Jessops are using their creditors to fund their business generally, not just the stock. They're not alone in doing that, of course, but who wants to fund a business that's losing money?

Rather than get into the technicalities of typically structurally negative working capital in most retail businesses, usually provided either by 30/60 days credit from suppliers versus cash receipts from customers, or as I suspect is the case with slr kit at Jessops goods supplied on a sale or return basis, I’ll confine myself to the answer to your question:

Those suppliers that wish to do business with the UK’s dominant retail/distribution outlet and have a presence at the nation’s favourite try-before-you-internet-buy location.

If my hypothesis is correct, Shaky, and it is only one possibility, then the answer is that nobody wants to fund a business that's losing money.

Some will feel that they have no choice, and some will decide, as Pentax might have done, that the risk isn't worth the candle. The Internet has changed the balance of power. There is more than one route to market.

Many retail businesses have been in the habit of getting their suppliers instead of their shareholders to provide their capital. It works well during boom times, but not so well in leaner times. That is why so many of them find themselves in difficulties at the moment.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Shaky

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 20:40
George Lazarette wrote:
If my hypothesis is correct, Shaky, and it is only one possibility, then the answer is that nobody wants to fund a business that's losing money.

Your hypothesis unfortunately fails your own test, since Nikon, Canon, etc are still in there.

Furthermore, like I said I believe it is more likely that vendor financing in the camera business takes the form of stocks held on a sale or return basis (float financing via timing differences in creditor/debtor days is much more prevalent in higher stock turnover businesses like grocery or say pubs). If that is so there is no financial risk whatsoever since title is retained by the supplier, except for minor red tape inconvenience in the event of an insolvency.

Separately it is in the nature of retail market power that dominant players are largely able to set their own terms. You have likely heard different stories from many different industries of suppliers moaning about the unfair terms imposed on them by Tescos. And rightly so because they get screwed silly. But at the end of the day they grin and bear it because Tescos is by far the biggest outlet for their products; it is business madness to walk away from that kind of distribution power if you’re aiming for volume. Geddit?

doodlebug

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 20:49
I popped into Jessops in Westfield White City yesterday and the only Pentax on display was a red Kr. I was in London to cover the boat race so mostly a rubbish weekend apart from some seriously ace classic car spots.

nass

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 23:19
Camberley Jessops never ever has Pentax. Everything else.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

michaelblue

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 23:31
We used to have two very good camera shops in Shrewsbury, unfortunately they were both bought out by jessops. Now they are worse than useless..I went in to one to ask to see a Pentax Q (not that I would ever buy anything from them), with a blank look the 'salesman' said (after asking another 'salesman') "we can order one in for you, it will take about 10 days" I'll let you imagine my reply!
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

George Lazarette

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 23:34
Shaky wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:
If my hypothesis is correct, Shaky, and it is only one possibility, then the answer is that nobody wants to fund a business that's losing money.

Your hypothesis unfortunately fails your own test, since Nikon, Canon, etc are still in there.

Furthermore, like I said I believe it is more likely that vendor financing in the camera business takes the form of stocks held on a sale or return basis (float financing via timing differences in creditor/debtor days is much more prevalent in higher stock turnover businesses like grocery or say pubs). If that is so there is no financial risk whatsoever since title is retained by the supplier, except for minor red tape inconvenience in the event of an insolvency.

Separately it is in the nature of retail market power that dominant players are largely able to set their own terms. You have likely heard different stories from many different industries of suppliers moaning about the unfair terms imposed on them by Tescos. And rightly so because they get screwed silly. But at the end of the day they grin and bear it because Tescos is by far the biggest outlet for their products; it is business madness to walk away from that kind of distribution power if you’re aiming for volume. Geddit?

Shaky, read what I wrote.

Jessops can't dictate to Nikon and Canon in the way it can to the smaller players. Jessops needs Canon more than Canon needs Jessops. Therefore, the terms which apply to Canon may well be different from the terms which apply to Pentax. Geddit?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Frogherder

Link Posted 09/04/2012 - 12:19
Locally, I'm told that they don't get the discount 'they' want from Pentax to make resale viable

Bernard

johnha

Link Posted 09/04/2012 - 14:23
When I was considering the 12-24 or DA15, I stumbled across the DA15 in a local Jessops. I had the K-5 with me so tried it and although I hadn't planned to jump in an buy it, I was going to until the response to a casual question about the 12-24 slagged off Pentax, at which point the DA15 went back on the shelf.
PPG Flickr

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 09/04/2012 - 19:42
My local independent store (which sells Pentax) have told me that Pentax will not stock them on a 'sale or return' basis and that they have a minimum purchase amount before the can stock or order futher Pentax items (ie: lenses...)
So for them to order me say, 21mm Ltd they have to have already paid for 10 K-r's and 10 K5's (within that sales period)...
If Pentax-UK's sales team are looking at Jessops in terms of number of stores (and in the same way as smaller independent stores, which it's likely they are) that's a massive outlay that Jessops simply don't need when they can get CaNik(S)ony products on a 'sale or return' basis through their own distribution centre...
If Pentax-UK want to compete (and the question is whether they (the UK division) do want/need to compete?) then they need a major shake-up of both their marketing and UK-sales statergies...

Is Pentax-UK actually representative of the aims of the larger Pentax-Ricoh-Corp at this point?
Is there still some transition going on that we are unaware of?

Is the right hand talking to the left?

We know that Ricoh has considerably deeper pockets than Hoya did... Supposedly even deeper than Canon's are now...
But has this information reached and been understood by the Pentax-UK sales team?
Are they still going with a sales and marketing stratergy that is now outdated given the new circumstances of the company?

Sometimes answers are less important than asking difficult questions...
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Last Edited by DaveHolmes on 09/04/2012 - 19:44
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.