Is the Pentax a Pro System?

Hiljon

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 09:24
Looking a what is out there in terms of support, accessories etc ... for example lenses, remote triggers etc .. is the Pentax brand considered to be a pro system. For example, I was looking at the Strobist site and recently reading about the pro shooters like McNally etc .. they ALL seem to use either Nikon or Pentax .. therefore .. is it time to change before I invest mega bucks. Recently I called the Pentax Support Line and the dear lady that answered me did not even know what I was looking for in terms of remote flash (radio trigger systems) solutions. Are there any pro shooters out there that use Pentax .. if so ... can someone let me know. Convince me that Pentax is Pro!

Unlocker

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 09:31
Quote:
recently reading about the pro shooters like McNally etc .. they ALL seem to use either Nikon or Pentax .. therefore ..

No offence, but, you said this, so why ask the question?

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

johnriley

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 09:32
It's really up to you to review the market and see what fills your requirements.

Pro shooters, I presume meaning those who make money from their photography, then yes, there are plenty of Pentax pro shooters.

There are plenty of flash trigger systems that work with Pentax cameras, so if you're in the UK then the upcoming Focus on Imaging exhibition will be an ideal opportunity to look and compare.
Best regards, John

Helpful

nass

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 09:58
Hiljon wrote:
Convince me that Pentax is Pro!

Check out this guy's work with Pentax for Vogue:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/other-pentax-related-topics/88573-pentax-vogu...
http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2009/10/31/the-vogue-brasil-josephine-de-la-b...
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Last Edited by nass on 01/03/2010 - 10:03

Hiljon

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 10:16
OK .. I made a typo error ... I meant Nikon and Canon .. not Pentax. I just called the Pentax Sales line and they consider their equipment as semi-pro .. not pro.

Hiljon

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 10:20
johnriley wrote:
There are plenty of flash trigger systems that work with Pentax cameras, so if you're in the UK then the upcoming Focus on Imaging exhibition will be an ideal opportunity to look and compare.

Cheers for that. BUT, when I spoke to the support line looking for these .. they did not know what I was talking about.

I just called the Support line a few minutes ago .. the chap said "off-hand, I don't know if there are any triggers that are compatible with Pentax". C'mon, surely they have had this query before. BUT FOR THE SALES LINE to say they are not pro .. but semi-pro .. really tells it all!

Anvh

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 10:31
What is Pro?
I don't think your equipment make you a Pro though, if you can make the photos you want with a Pentax who is going to say that your equipment isn't good enough?

As for triggers what kind of triggers do you want?
My simple cactus trigger works well even with studio flash system, what more do you need?

Of course Pentax support isn't going to say a third part brand works well on their cameras
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 01/03/2010 - 10:32

Hiljon

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 10:38
Anvh wrote:
Of course Pentax support isn't going to say a third part brand works well on their cameras

Yeah! of course .. but if they are not going to make a flash trigger .. surely they are going to point you in the right direction - and not lose customers to the opposition because they cannot provide an answer/s. Why does Pocket Wizard not make a Pentax version .. only Nikon/Canon? Surely that speaks for itself. Can you point me to your link where you got your Cactus?

Thanks

thoughton

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 10:46
You can buy the Cactus's direct from the sole (?) supplier in Hong Kong. They are a step above the usual Hong Kong-based ebay sales company in terms of support and command of English etc.:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=17204

PS I have a set as well, they are excellent. I had a problem with one of my receivers conking out about 3 months after buying them (from what I've read this isn't a common problem). Gadget Infinity were very quick to respond and replaced it under the 12 month warranty.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 01/03/2010 - 10:51

Anvh

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 10:46
Hiljon wrote:
Why does Pocket Wizard not make a Pentax version .. only Nikon/Canon? Surely that speaks for itself. Can you point me to your link where you got your Cactus?

Thanks

Most likely because the market is too small but the pocket wizard nikon or canon would work on your Pentax but not with the digital communication so you need to use the flash on manual or auto and not P-TTL but hey you're a pro right so you should be able to do that.

The Cactus I had it from Cameratools but that's in the Netherlands I paid €40 for a trigger and receiver I believe. They aren't pro stuff though.
These are better and they work on any standard hotshoe link
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 10:47
One of my friends who owns a Canon semi pro DSLR was envious of the fact my k200d supports wireless flash, whereas only the top of the range canons did unless you purchased a wireless flash adapter. This is an example of how Pentax tries to bring pro features into the range of the amateur enthusiast, and that is probably the core brand value, rather than creating a genuine pro system. I'm comfortable with that, and knowing some pros use Pentax is nice, but not essential to my decision to stick with Pentax. Of course, the upcoming 645d will be 'pro' through and through!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 01/03/2010 - 10:49

womble

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 10:52
Being a "pro"... being a "pro" what? Wedding photographer? Newspaper hack? Sports photographer? Fashion photographer? The photographer at the Institute of Archaeology? Paparazzi? Bit of everything?

The Pentax system, in the right hands, is capable of producing extremely high quality images. The Pentax range is a bit more limited than other makes. For example, we do not have a tilt-shift lens and the choice for ultra-fast long telephotos is rather limited but there is an excellent series of wide/normal/short tele primes and zooms of superb image quality and excellent build.

To take an example. I recently went to an exhibition of photographs of New York City parks by Joel Meyerowitz. Joel had used an SLR system for his images on the aftermath of the World Trade Centre attack. As I went around the display I was stunned by the size of the images (they often took up a whole wall), how sharp they were close-up and the amazing depth of field. "I wonder if he used a 5x4 view camera" I said to myself. The book of the exhibition confirmed my suspicions. The point of this digression is that he used the best tools for the job not that he used Nikon or Canon or Pentax. I couldn't tell you which SLR system he used previously, nor could I tell you which 5x4 system he used.

You need to define what equipment you need for your particular type of photography, and then see who makes it. You may find you have no choice, you may find you have many options.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Helpful

Anvh

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 11:02
thoughton wrote:
PS I have a set as well, they are excellent. I had a problem with one of my receivers conking out about 3 months after buying them (from what I've read this isn't a common problem). Gadget Infinity were very quick to respond and replaced it under the 12 month warranty.

Also thumbs from me for their service, they are fast to respond and they give you good information.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Hiljon

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 13:52
Anvh wrote:
but hey you're a pro right so you should be able to do that.

Come on now ... all I wanted to know was simply whether Pentax can really compete in the PRO market. Am I a Pro .. no ... but would like to move in that direction. I just got made redundant with a good settlement. I want to invest in my future and it just seems that NIKON or CANON are hassle free options .. like the trigger for example. So much discussion about it, that is, one tries this .. others try that .. but with Nikon for example .. one can go out any simply by compatible accessories with no problem.

johnriley

Link Posted 01/03/2010 - 14:01
There are lots of options for Nikon and Canon as well, not just one. If you are going to try and make some money out of your photography, there will only be one thing that matters - delivering what the customer wants.

Which camera system should you use to do this? The one that suits you.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.