Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

iPhone or Google Nexus?

This topic has a poll - login to enter
whelmed
Posted 10/06/2010 - 00:06 Link
Well I'm going against the grain here and taking the google phone. I'm not in need of music, but more of an organizational device + phone. It just somehow seems more geeky, aka - me. That, and I was working on my mac today and it crashed. Twice. Yay! No flash either, but I suppose HTML5 will catch on sometime in the future.

I dunno, I'll let you all know how I get on with it.
K-5; Siggy 10-20 f4, 30mm f1.4, 18-50mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8; Tammy 400mm f4, 500mm f8
Unlocker
Posted 10/06/2010 - 00:12 Link
The updates to iOS4 are free for both iPhone 3G & 3GS (2G now not supported for future OS upgrades), same again for iPod touch models, all bar the 1st ones get a free upgrade to the new iOS4. it was announced on launch that the iPad would at least be getting it's next OS update for free.

I like the idea of the announced colour bumpers mainly because when in use I can put the phone down on the desk without it scratching the back. It's not clear if it was a 6 pack of those colours for $29, or $29 each. If it's $29 each then I think that's a blatant rip off.

The only colour that interests me would be the silver / grey one (on a white iPhone), but there is no way on this earth I would pay $29 for what is effectively a rubber band!
Anvh
Posted 10/06/2010 - 00:17 Link
thoughton wrote:
Stefan, if I recall correctly the last major upgrade cost iPod Touch users $10. There was supposedly some accountancy trickery going on, something to do with the financial year, and because the iPhone is subscription based it didn't incur the charge. I never quite understood the explanation, I'm sure you can Google it if you're really so interested.

Was just curious to know more about it. It would be wrong if the would bring out a major update every 6 months for the price of $50 or so but that isn't the case I believe but that's why I'm asking.

ps. thank you Unlocker.
Btw what makes the iPhone 4 so much better then the 3G since you seem to be jumping to get one?
Btw strange that the iPhone 4 can multitask and the iPad not
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 10/06/2010 - 00:25
Unlocker
Posted 10/06/2010 - 00:24 Link
whelmed wrote:
Well I'm going against the grain here and taking the google phone. I'm not in need of music, but more of an organizational device + phone. It just somehow seems more geeky, aka - me. That, and I was working on my mac today and it crashed. Twice. Yay! No flash either, but I suppose HTML5 will catch on sometime in the future.

I dunno, I'll let you all know how I get on with it.

Good luck with your choice, hope it does what you need it to!

I know we have a lot of PC / MAC type debates on here, so it's good to see honest experience discussed without resorting to a slanging match! For the record, I'm taking back my 4th faulty unibody 17" MacBook Pro to the Apple Store on Sunday, when I'm gonna reject it for being not fit for purpose. Wish me luck!

PS don't know if the 3rd one was faulty or not, but it was rejected in store for being too damaged!
Anvh
Posted 10/06/2010 - 00:26 Link
Unlocker wrote:
I'm taking back my 4th faulty unibody 17" MacBook Pro to the Apple Store on Sunday, when I'm gonna reject it for being not fit for purpose. Wish me luck!

They updated that line a couple of months ago so indeed good lucky maybe you get a new speced one
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Anvh
Posted 10/06/2010 - 00:40 Link
About the iPhone 4
That video calling does it work also with skype or with skype users and over 3G, it does seem to only work over wi-fi?
And Unlocker you said something about tethering, does that work now, I believed I had read they approved it?

Why am I asking, it's an interesting phone right.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 10/06/2010 - 00:41
Unlocker
Posted 10/06/2010 - 00:41 Link
Anvh wrote:

Btw what makes the iPhone 4 so much better then the 3G since you seem to be jumping to get one?

My contract only ran out a recently so I never had a 3GS, Fiona has one though and the speed difference is quite noticeable, so for me, I've missed a generation, and the new one is better in every way.

The main thing for me is the LCD, I've always had a thing for high resolution screens as you might remember from previous computer discussions, and this alone makes me want it. 960x640 resolution, exactly double the resolution of the existing iPhone means 4x as many pixels. This means that all my existing apps and the over 225,000 other apps available will still run perfectly fine with no modification whatsoever on a screen with pixels so small they are not visible by the naked eye (so hands on reports are telling us!)

Many other things such as:-

5MP camera with flash picked to due sensor size, not amount of pixels to help quality. Also has backlit sensor

Multitasking OS

Thinnest smart phone out there

The stainless steel and glass construction

My iphone 3G maxed out at 16GB, will be getting the 32GB iPhone 4 (in white!)

Gyroscope opens up fun app possibilities

720P 30FPS video

and loads and loads of other stuff.

The other non obvious stuff for sticking with an iPhone for my upgrade includes the integration with my other kit as already mentioned and the fact the all my apps will just work straight away.

All in all, for me, a fantastic upgrade, just get the bloody cost down and it would be perfect!
Unlocker
Posted 10/06/2010 - 00:43 Link
Anvh wrote:
Unlocker wrote:
I'm taking back my 4th faulty unibody 17" MacBook Pro to the Apple Store on Sunday, when I'm gonna reject it for being not fit for purpose. Wish me luck!

They updated that line a couple of months ago so indeed good lucky maybe you get a new speced one

Thats the argument believe me, the goal is to walk out with a new i7. Surely 3 out of 3 laptops with graphics card faults is proof that they are not good enough! Bad nVidia. Bad!
thoughton
Posted 10/06/2010 - 00:50 Link
Annoying isn't it, they have brought out all these great gadgets at virtually the same time. I kinda need an i7 laptop for work, my old Core Duo MBP is really starting to show its age. But what I really want is the top iPad and an iPhone 4. Getting all three is going to be tricky

PS I have the white 3G, not sure I'd go white again, I've got several hairline cracks in mine which show up well on white. It's better for fingerprints though.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 10/06/2010 - 00:51
Unlocker
Posted 10/06/2010 - 00:53 Link
Anvh wrote:
About the iPhone 4
That video calling does it work also with skype or with skype users and over 3G, it does seem to only work over wi-fi?
And Unlocker you said something about tethering, does that work now, I believed I had read they approved it?

Why am I asking, it's an interesting phone right.

A lot of unknowns here as it is new and not released yet, so best to watch the end of the keynote to get an idea.

Basically they are hyping video calling as new and wonderful, and I'm thinking 'come on, I did that on 3g 6 years ago!', but when you look under the cover at what they are actually trying to do, it to me seems like typical Apple, don't just do it, do it well.

They have spent over 18 months developing a new standard for video calling which they are releasing as an open standard for whoever wants to use it, and yes Skype have already expressed an interest. It looks interesting, and with it being an open standard, if it becomes well supported, could actually turn video calling into something useful rather than the gimmick I currently treat it as.

As always, the 3G restriction has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with the network, we all know it can work, the networks can't cope with us all doing it.

As for tethering, we've had it for a year, it's just I'm not allowed to use the data allowance I'm already paying for! If I want to tether, I have to pay the network more money for it! Didn't have to 5-6 years ago, they force you to now. The whinge is aimed at the robbing network, not the phone in this case.
Anvh
Posted 10/06/2010 - 00:59 Link
Yeah the screen is finally great, it always made me laugh when someone with an iPhone showed me how good the screen was.
I mean the HTC Diamond was in the shops here before the iPhone I believe and that one had a 260dpi screen or something like that. I do think the 326dpi is over kill though, you need to put it up against your nose to see the difference
But yeah over kill isn't bad

The only thing I don't understand from apple's side is why did they bought out such a crippled iPad.
First it was just a big iPhone but it isn't even that now.
Who would want one if there is the iPhone 4
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 10/06/2010 - 01:05
Unlocker
Posted 10/06/2010 - 01:00 Link
thoughton wrote:

PS I have the white 3G, not sure I'd go white again, I've got several hairline cracks in mine which show up well on white. It's better for fingerprints though.

New white one is glass, front AND back, as well as white front and back, looks very good.

Check out the product video on the Apple site to see how much they can bend that glass with out breaking it! It's over 30 times tougher than plastic, so while I know what you mean (seen plenty of it!), I have no concerns on that with this one! (Fingers crossed!)
Anvh
Posted 10/06/2010 - 01:05 Link
The most important part about video calling for me is taht it must be able to work over 3g and be able to connect to skype users, if not it would mean you probably can only connect to other iPhone 4 users and need a special app on your PC.
If that's the case it would be pity

Unlocker wrote:
As for tethering, we've had it for a year, it's just I'm not allowed to use the data allowance I'm already paying for! If I want to tether, I have to pay the network more money for it! Didn't have to 5-6 years ago, they force you to now. The whinge is aimed at the robbing network, not the phone in this case.

ah okay, that's not good
Are they able to detect it btw?
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
thoughton
Posted 10/06/2010 - 01:18 Link
It's not going to work over 3G Stefan, so you might as well stop wondering. The networks might let something like that go with a phone that's hardly going to sell any units (like that HTC Diamond). But when it's a phone that's going to sell millions (like the iPhone) then they start banning bandwidth-hungry apps like video calling.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Unlocker
Posted 10/06/2010 - 01:18 Link
Anvh wrote:

Are they able to detect it btw?

Yes they are, and threaten to cut you off if you bypass it.

This is the only reason that I would jailbreak the phone, as there is an (obviously unapproved) app that can turn the phone into a wifi hotspot whilst hiding it from the network.

Applying extra charges like this in the worst recession we've ever had is plain daylight robbery and absolutely scandalous. Imagine your broadband supplier finding out you are using 2 laptops and an iPad on the one connection and then try to charge you more for it, even though you are staying within the allowance you are paying for. It's downright theft and it makes me angry.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.