Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

iPad or iPad Which One?

Anvh
Posted 29/01/2010 - 14:02 Link
thoughton wrote:
1. Repeatedly calling it a Maxipad is something my 3 year old son would think is funny.

Don't we do the same with Nikon and Canon users?
Quote:
2. It is running on some of the core functions of OS X, but it isn't the same as Mac OS X.

Yep something like I said, so if I understand it programs for the MAC can not run on this and it's also different from the iphone so they need to develop new programs for it, right? why not have a tweaked down OSX version for it?
Quote:
3. If it ran on ModBook principles it wouldn't have 10 hours battery life. Given the size limitations on the battery it would probably be closer to 1 hour.

Yes but it would be usefull and they could extend the battery a bit since at this size 5mm extra wouldn't matter much since it will only fit in your bag anyway.
Quote:
4. I don't know why anyone is talking about handwriting recognition.

Can it not do it then?
Quote:
5. If you watched the keynote you'd understand that this device is positioned between mobile phones and netbooks. You might not think you need one, but on the other hand about a billion people said the same thing about the iPhone when it launched.

Have you ever heard of the HTC X7500 or HTC X9500?
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
RichardDay
Posted 29/01/2010 - 14:03 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Well done Apple. Cos the one thing we are all missing in our lives is another screen to look at.

Yeah, yet another Apple Snafu.
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
Edited by RichardDay: 29/01/2010 - 14:03
thoughton
Posted 29/01/2010 - 14:06 Link
Archos make some nice media players, that's for sure. Not sure where it competes with the iPad, but it's certainly a gizmo I wouldn't mind owning
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Anvh
Posted 29/01/2010 - 14:08 Link
Gwyn wrote:
A Kindle or e-book is not intended to do all the things the iPad is. I can't imagine reading a book on an iPad screen, whereas I have seen an e-book screen, it reads very well, with no eye strain. If I were to get a new gadget it would probably be that.

That's because the type of screen is very different, it almost read like a paper.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
thoughton
Posted 29/01/2010 - 14:15 Link
Anvh wrote:
Don't we do the same with Nikon and Canon users?

Maybe you do, but I don't

Anvh wrote:
Yep something like I said, so if I understand it programs for the MAC can not run on this and it's also different from the iphone so they need to develop new programs for it, right? why not have a tweaked down OSX version for it?

No. It runs iPhone apps.

Anvh wrote:
Yes but it would be usefull and they could extend the battery a bit since at this size 5mm extra wouldn't matter much since it will only fit in your bag anyway.

Some people are never satisfied Why would you want to run full Mac OS X on it (don't forget there is no mouse and no trackpad). A full OS will also dramatically reduce the current battery life.

Anvh wrote:
Can it not do it then?

No.

Anvh wrote:

Isn't that one of those UMPCs that only sold a few hundred units?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Don
Posted 29/01/2010 - 14:25 Link
thoughton wrote:
Sorry folks, and I don't mean to be hurtful, but the majority of you don't appear to know anything about what you're talking about.

1. Repeatedly calling it a Maxipad is something my 3 year old son would think is funny.
2. It is running on some of the core functions of OS X, but it isn't the same as Mac OS X.
3. If it ran on ModBook principles it wouldn't have 10 hours battery life. Given the size limitations on the battery it would probably be closer to 1 hour.
4. I don't know why anyone is talking about handwriting recognition.
5. If you watched the keynote you'd understand that this device is positioned between mobile phones and netbooks. You might not think you need one, but on the other hand about a billion people said the same thing about the iPhone when it launched.

To quote Lincoln: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

1. that is becuase your three year old knows FUNNY!!! hahahah
2 We're showing our age..kids don't talk these days, and they don't need powerful computers..they text and do homework, the ebook features and lack of camera make it school friendly...no more heavy backpacks causing neck problems.
3 batteries are catching up but newer = more expensive
4 my ihpone does voice very well, look up "Dragon speaking"
5 it is targeted for students, middle school to college and priced to make it accessable.

I'm older, I can laugh at anything I want to.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 29/01/2010 - 14:26
Anvh
Posted 29/01/2010 - 14:31 Link
Quote:
thoughton wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Anvh"]Don't we do the same with Nikon and Canon users?

Maybe you do, but I don't

No I don't either since no one reacts back at it here

Quote:
No. It runs iPhone apps.

Okay that's at least something but iphone apps aren't that useful most of the time, so basicly all it is now is a big iphone/ithouch.

Quote:
Some people are never satisfied Why would you want to run full Mac OS X on it (don't forget there is no mouse and no trackpad). A full OS will also dramatically reduce the current battery life.

Because of the programs you can use, okay some might run a bit slow but i want to do more with it then a smartphone/iphone.
Those netbooks aren't that much bigger and they can run almost 11hours with one charge and they do run a full OS on it, so it can be done.

Quote:
Anvh wrote:
Can it not do it then?

No.

Why not... even smartphones can do it and my pc with a tablet

Quote:
Anvh wrote:

Yep precisely and don't you think the ipad looks an awful lot like them?

so what you said.
Is very true here so it will only sell because of the brand.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Don
Posted 29/01/2010 - 14:38 Link
I wouldn't buy it for me. a couple years from now I see it , depending on if textbooks are available or not, being a must have for mu youngest boy.

we got a playstation, a ps2, an xbox and a couple gameboy thingies that all cost more than this thing and had no educational value whatsoever.... and I've never played with any of those, they make no sense to me at all, axcept buying them shut up the kids for a while...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 29/01/2010 - 14:39
beakynet
Posted 29/01/2010 - 15:00 Link
thoughton wrote:
Archos make some nice media players, that's for sure. Not sure where it competes with the iPad, but it's certainly a gizmo I wouldn't mind owning

The point is, why would I need an iPad? It can't fit in my camera bag, or my pocket. I can do all I want on it and can download photos directly from my camera if I need. It's not ment to compete with the iPad, just it's better suited to my photographic needs and it backs up all my photos and videos too!
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
Posted 29/01/2010 - 15:18 Link
thoughton wrote:
You might not think you need one, but on the other hand about a billion people said the same thing about the iPhone when it launched.

I was one of the billion you refer to, and I was right - so not sure what your point is there. Certainly more than a billion people have declined to buy one
thoughton
Posted 29/01/2010 - 15:20 Link
Anvh wrote:
thoughton wrote:

Yep precisely and don't you think the ipad looks an awful lot like them?

I'll bet you all of my camera gear against all of your camera gear that the iPad will sell at least a thousand times as many units as either of those HTC models

The handwriting recognition on your PC and smartphone must be great. I had it on my old Sony Ericsson P800 (bought in 2003) and it was much slower than typing.

I'd also like to see one of those Netbooks play a movie non-stop for those 11 hours
Tim
Edited by thoughton: 29/01/2010 - 15:21
thoughton
Posted 29/01/2010 - 15:25 Link
lonegroover wrote:
thoughton wrote:
You might not think you need one, but on the other hand about a billion people said the same thing about the iPhone when it launched.

I was one of the billion you refer to, and I was right - so not sure what your point is there. Certainly more than a billion people have declined to buy one

In what way were you right? My point is that there were millions of people bad-mouthing the iPhone when it was released, saying it would flop, the networks would never accept it, Apple didn't know how to make a phone, etc etc ad infintum. A lot of those people are pretty quiet these days.
Tim
Anvh
Posted 29/01/2010 - 16:04 Link
thoughton wrote:
I'll bet you all of my camera gear against all of your camera gear that the iPad will sell at least a thousand times as many units as either of those HTC models

Yep and only because of the name, but I already said that

Quote:
The handwriting recognition on your PC and smartphone must be great. I had it on my old Sony Ericsson P800 (bought in 2003) and it was much slower than typing.

I didn't said it worked faster only that it's strange that it doesn't support it, it isn't such a big deal any more.

Quote:
I'd also like to see one of those Netbooks play a movie non-stop for those 11 hours

Indeed but we must compare apples for apples, how long does the ipad hangout under load and I do mean real test no claims from apple?
Asus netbooks hang it out for little over 4 hours and the MSI wind almost 7 hours.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Anvh
Posted 29/01/2010 - 16:05 Link
thoughton wrote:
In what way were you right? My point is that there were millions of people bad-mouthing the iPhone when it was released, saying it would flop, the networks would never accept it, Apple didn't know how to make a phone, etc etc ad infintum. A lot of those people are pretty quiet these days.

Well networks didn't like it and apple needed to put some water by the wine in many cases in different countries.
Also apple got a set back because the batteries used needed to be easily replaceable and they weren't.
Don't know if that was the iphone or ipod though...
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 29/01/2010 - 16:08
thoughton
Posted 29/01/2010 - 16:51 Link
Stefan it is clear that you don't like Apple. That doesn't bother me in the slightest However you cannot argue with numbers. The iphone and ipod have been an undeniable smash hit for the last couple of years, why do you keep trying to deny it? Can't you just admit they are incredible pieces of engineering which most users absolutely love?

250 million iPods sold. Think about it! It's a mind-boggling number. How can all those people be wrong?

The networks all hated it to start with. But all of them caved in once they saw how much money AT&T made. Now the exclusivity is ending and all the other networks are jumping on the bandwagon. It's happening here in the UK right now.

I'm not sure what the water in the the wine comment means. As far as I'm aware Apple didn't relax their requirements in any countries. Not even China (unlike a certain Mountain View company).

PS These are the iPhone marketshare numbers as of about 5 months ago. You should note that the iPhone was released in China a month after these figures came out.
Tim

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.