Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

iPad or iPad Which One?

Unlocker
Posted 05/02/2010 - 09:26 Link
Looks interesting, like the fact that it has a 12" 720p widescreen, camera and supports flash. The iPad could do with all of these, and if it did, I would probably buy one at launch.

There are problems though:-

Violation of PayPal's terms and conditions

Illegal use of imagery from the film Avatar

Lawsuit

Having been reading stories about it for nearly a year now (search for crunchpad as well in say engadget), it's pretty obvious that it's not a polished product, from an unproven company with an iffy track record so far.

Whilst I would love to see it on sale, and continue on sale, purely so we can use it as a stick to beat Apple with, I get that feeling this thing will not be around by the end of the year.
thoughton
Posted 05/02/2010 - 10:10 Link
Anvh wrote:
Might this be better? https://thejoojoo.com/sites/
It has some pluses hardware wise and Browser Based OS sounds interesting but might be a bit limiting but we of course don't know that yet.

Come ON Stefan! About a dozen or so pages back you were complaining that the iPad wasn't more like a netbook, and now you're suggesting the CrunchPad?!?!?!! Not only is it the lovechild of Michael Arrington (ugh), it is from an unproved company with zero track record.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 05/02/2010 - 10:11
Shaky
Posted 05/02/2010 - 20:42 Link
thoughton wrote:
Freedom of information and personal liberty eh? Leaving aside the fact that every single iphone developer. . .

Without wishing to give the appearance of resorting to hyperbole, I am simply astonished you seem to believe the main concern related to freedom of information is from the viewpoint of software developers.

The problem is end users, who are not at liberty to decide for themselves what content their devices should display.

Does your position at all change in light of this new information?
Anvh
Posted 05/02/2010 - 21:18 Link
Unlocker wrote:
Looks interesting, like the fact that it has a 12" 720p widescreen, camera and supports flash. The iPad could do with all of these, and if it did, I would probably buy one at launch.

There are problems though:-

Violation of PayPal's terms and conditions

Illegal use of imagery from the film Avatar

Lawsuit

Having been reading stories about it for nearly a year now (search for crunchpad as well in say engadget), it's pretty obvious that it's not a polished product, from an unproven company with an iffy track record so far.

Whilst I would love to see it on sale, and continue on sale, purely so we can use it as a stick to beat Apple with, I get that feeling this thing will not be around by the end of the year.

Yes the device comes not without his lawsuits

thoughton wrote:
Come ON Stefan! About a dozen or so pages back you were complaining that the iPad wasn't more like a netbook, and now you're suggesting the CrunchPad?!?!?!!

Yeah I did complain that you can hardly run any useful software on the iPad, this however is at least Linux based so likely that it support Linux programs.
Correction: it does not run linux programs or anything else in that matter so it's just as limited as the iPad and even more since there are no apps for it.

And I know about the CrunchPad & Techcrunch.

Quote:
Not only is it the lovechild of Michael Arrington (ugh), it is from an unproved company with zero track record.

What's the problem with him?
And we all need to start somewhere.

ps. some more info
http://gizmodo.com/5421614/fusion-garage-joojoo-tablet-hands+on
1.6GHz Atom
1GB RAM
probably Nvidia ION graphics card
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 05/02/2010 - 21:42
thoughton
Posted 05/02/2010 - 22:31 Link
Shaky wrote:
thoughton wrote:
Freedom of information and personal liberty eh? Leaving aside the fact that every single iphone developer. . .

Without wishing to give the appearance of resorting to hyperbole, I am simply astonished you seem to believe the main concern related to freedom of information is from the viewpoint of software developers.

The problem is end users, who are not at liberty to decide for themselves what content their devices should display.

What an odd statement You may have been trying to avoid hyperbole, but unfortunately you don't seem to have managed it.

I'm rather sorry to say I simply do not equate "freedom of information" and "personal liberty" with "what software is available for my chosen computer" and "what video formats does my media player handle". I wish I did, just so I could parrot those grand phrases more often!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 05/02/2010 - 22:43
Shaky
Posted 06/02/2010 - 08:55 Link
thoughton wrote:
I'm rather sorry to say I simply do not equate "freedom of information" and "personal liberty" with "what software is available for my chosen computer" and "what video formats does my media player handle". I wish I did, just so I could parrot those grand phrases more often!

Fine.

To those who say that threads like this are a complete waste of time, one can now point to the current example, where – through a process of dialogue and exchange – we have established to my satisfaction that a high degree of mutual contempt exists for our respective positions.
Don
Posted 06/02/2010 - 13:41 Link
I got the gist of "Who likey" and "Who donut likey" about 16 pages ago.
Now this is just dull reading.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Anvh
Posted 06/02/2010 - 13:50 Link
Don wrote:
I got the gist of "Who likey" and "Who donut likey" about 16 pages ago.
Now this is just dull reading.

Well we could start comparing the HP Slate, the joojoo and the iPad against each other.
I'm sure I can say some stupid things so that we can add 8 pages to it.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 06/02/2010 - 13:50
Posted 07/02/2010 - 13:47 Link
This more or less sums up my feelings on the matter. I first saw this about 7 years ago, but sadly it's more relevant than ever.

I won't image tag it, since it contains naughty words. Adult content; discretion advised.

http://groover.kicks-ass.net/images/iproduct-feel-special.jpg

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.