How many of you have a second body?

Jimd

Link Posted 12/04/2017 - 07:20
I've got my K-3II and my K-5. I don't carry both usually but have on occasions. I've also got my two MX's (one black and one silver) and my Zorki from 1970.

The only camera I've parted with was my Spotmatic to help buy my first MX.

microlight2010

Link Posted 12/04/2017 - 11:05
I usually go out with the K-3II, and if the Good Mrs Micro is in a photographing mood, she'll take the K-5. If a backup is necessary I'll put the 55-300PLM on the K-3II and the 20-40 Ltd on the K-5.
K-3II - HD DA20-40 Limited, HD DA55-300PLM, SMC DA10-17 Fishy, AF201FG Flashy

davidstorm

Link Posted 12/04/2017 - 19:57
I have K-3 and K-5iis, use them both equally, both are superb cameras. The K-3 edges it for wildlife and the K-5iis possibly for landscapes. I also have a Mx-1 which is for casual use and also when I'm on holiday, but I prefer to use the DSLR's.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

davidtrout

Link Posted 12/04/2017 - 20:23
I have the K3 and K5 which, like David Storm, I use equally. I also have a K30 which gets regular use, its a great lightweight carry-around camera for urban photography. Unlike some members on PUF its never let me down.

Until a few months ago I regularly carried two cameras wherever I went, one with either the DA* 16-50 zoom or the DA*50-135 zoom and the other with the DA*200mm fixed focal length. Then I got the new D FA* 70-200 zoom which gave me a lot more flexibility and also a lot more weight to carry. But now I can decide in advance which body and lens combination to use depending on what I'm shooting so I often carry just one camera and one lens.
But if I'm in the car the rest of the stuff might be locked in the boot - just in case.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

jeallen01

Link Posted 12/04/2017 - 21:52
Same approach as davidtrout - K-3 & K-5 plus 2/3 long lenses for airshows and the like, and the K-30 (mine has also been reliable) for general "walkarounds", days out & holidays and plus, for those, a very small, cheap Canon P&S which I can slip into any available pocket (and which has been called into action on several occasions due to problems - like leaving the charger for the K-30 batteries behind when we went to Thailand & Cambodia!).

Had to take the K-30 as a 2nd body when we went to an airshow with the K-3 in for service, and I hope I'll never have to do that again because it just ain't as fast to focus or shoot. Would like a K-3II for the (reputedly improved focusing), but only if I can pick up a s/h one at a good price.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Stuey

Link Posted 12/04/2017 - 21:59
I have the K10 & K5 - they do what I need them to ☺

I use the K10 with my mf lenses and my K5 withe the at lenses - the sensor of the K10 seems to suit the mf lenses more than the K5 does 😀
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

SteveLedger

Link Posted 12/04/2017 - 22:25
I had the K-50 and K-01 plus an MX-1 (which I used most!).
Aside from becoming frustrated with the poor video features of the APS-C bodies I saw a couple of 60 yr old guys in town one time with DSLRs slung around their neck and stopping to shoot scenes of interest to them as they walked.
My reaction surprised me because I felt they looked like utter dorks and was embarrassed by how they looked (to me). Foolish old men trying to look serious about shooting photos of old buildings. They stood out like a sore thumb. It was at that moment I decided to sell all of my Pentax gear in favour of something smaller and less dorky looking. I was also losing interest in photography so needed something to perk me up
Last Edited by SteveLedger on 12/04/2017 - 22:26

doingthebobs

Link Posted 12/04/2017 - 23:26
As you have the K1, would it need to be full frame? How about a serviced LX as a compact second body?
Bob

ken2390

Link Posted 12/04/2017 - 23:52
As a rank novice, I have a KX with 17-20 lens. Backed up with an MX1, which I love to bits

richandfleur

Link Posted 13/04/2017 - 01:18
SteveLedger wrote:
I decided to sell all of my Pentax gear in favour of something smaller

Did you keep any of your Pentax glass Steve? How does that adapt to m4/3? Can you get adapters that include some form of aperture control (even manual)?

I presently have a K-30 and then picked up a K-S1. My plan was to use these to record some interviews with my parents, about their childhood etc. One front on and the second with a close up on their faces/reactions/hands etc. Still haven't completed that project...

The K-30 is now up for sale and my plan is to sell this and the K-S1 eventually soon after, and put the combined total towards a higher spec Pentax in the K-3 bracket.
Must say though, if I'm perfectly honest, the Olympus cameras look mighty appealing. They look like how I want a camera to look, and given the improvements in sensor tech, it's cool to see that capability in a smaller package, and with smaller lenses required. FF compatible lenses do tend to be pretty massive after all.

I'm really disappointed that Pentax don't offer video stabilisation anymore, and that Panasonic, Olympus and Sony all do.

To return to the topic though, yes we have two bodies, mostly one for me, one for Fleur styles, but we're rarely getting out in that way anymore. I could understand swapping bodies if you were a pro on a wedding shoot etc, but for most the idea of now lugging two DSLR's around, just so you can have a zoom and a prime, is kinda crazy. I've been really impressed at how good some of the high end compact all in one cameras have become lately too, and they are usually well matched to a good inbuilt lens, sometimes with constant aperture etc too. It's a cool time to be looking at cameras, but it's also pushing the requirement for a full DSLR further out into the fringe areas of fast action or low light performance.

SteveLedger

Link Posted 13/04/2017 - 02:10
richandfleur wrote:

Did you keep any of your Pentax glass Steve?

No, I sold everything - surprised how easy it was too actually.
All I have left is the Pentax IR (which I thought I might use, but the OMD has WiFI triggering) and an old Pentax Optio S5n
Last Edited by SteveLedger on 13/04/2017 - 02:11

walt

Link Posted 13/04/2017 - 09:58
jeallen01 wrote:

Had to take the K-30 as a 2nd body when we went to an airshow with the K-3 in for service, and I hope I'll never have to do that again because it just ain't as fast to focus or shoot. Would like a K-3II for the (reputedly improved focusing), but only if I can pick up a s/h one at a good price.

Wow, almost exactly the opposite of how I feel, my K3 has a noticeable delay on focus, not starting the af or speed of af but just at the point you think it's in focus it does a double take, I just don't notice this so much with the K30. Also the consistency in accuracy seems a bit more variable with the K3 than the K30. To be honest I'm getting a bit cheesed off with my Pentax since adding the DA*300 to my kit to replace the FA*300 4.5 because it's slow and that doesn't help with the af, so that may be influencing my opinions these days. BTW I use the Li-ion battery on the K30 because it is much faster to AF with this than the rechargeable AA NiMH. Also just to note most of my images are wildlife, so when I talk about af it's with that in mind.
Walt
Flickr
Picasa

jeallen01

Link Posted 13/04/2017 - 10:41
walt

Sounds like your K-3 needs a service & recalibration as mine (which had that 18 months ago) is far faster than the K-30 - especially with the longer/heavier lenses. BTW, my experience with rechargeables in the K-30 is again the opposite of yours - I use Eneloops, and so what are you using?
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

walt

Link Posted 13/04/2017 - 10:53
Also used Eneloops, very surprised that we have such a different experience and in no way doubting yours. My K30 was serviced and repaired and now that you mention it I think I remember it coming back and being noticeably better at AF than before and they mentioned something about af calibration and replacing some board..... perhaps yours could do with a service as well? Something to think about for both of us? Anyway food for thought for me, perhaps rather than get SRS to sell the K3 I might see if I can try out one of their K3's if they have any around.
Walt
Flickr
Picasa
Last Edited by walt on 13/04/2017 - 10:54

davidstorm

Link Posted 13/04/2017 - 20:36
walt wrote:
jeallen01 wrote:

Wow, almost exactly the opposite of how I feel, my K3 has a noticeable delay on focus, not starting the af or speed of af but just at the point you think it's in focus it does a double take, I just don't notice this so much with the K30. Also the consistency in accuracy seems a bit more variable with the K3 than the K30. To be honest I'm getting a bit cheesed off with my Pentax since adding the DA*300 to my kit to replace the FA*300 4.5 because it's slow and that doesn't help with the af, so that may be influencing my opinions these days. BTW I use the Li-ion battery on the K30 because it is much faster to AF with this than the rechargeable AA NiMH. Also just to note most of my images are wildlife, so when I talk about af it's with that in mind.

Hi Mike, my K-3 is the opposite to yours and is noticeably better at AF than my K-5iis, in particular when focusing on small subjects using the centre spot focusing technique. I always use the DA*300 on the K-3 when taking images of birds for this very reason, it nails focus much more successfully and quicker than the K-5iis. Could there be a fault with your K-3?

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.