How many of you have a second body?

jeallen01

Link Posted 13/04/2017 - 21:01
Now here's a "funny thing" (and I've said this before!), the K-3 is best with the F4 100-300 screw-drive Sigma, whereas the K-5 is best with the 150-500 HSM OS, whereas neither works well with the "other" lens - and it's because the K-3 has a fast/strong screw-drive motor and the 100-300 has a relatively short min-max focus distance elements movement, whereas the K5 has a much slower/less powerful motor and the 150-500 has a long/slow min-max focus distance elements movement.

Nett result is that the K-3/100-300 combo work better together because they are both "fast operators" and try to track the focus point reasonably well - whereas the K-5/150-500 are both relatively "slow operators" and so the focus point does not drift too far from the correct distance provided the actual distance to the object does not change too rapidly!

That's why, last year, I realised that I "need" to take both combos to airshows because the K-3/100-300 combo works best for "near" objects which change their distances quickly whereas the K-5/150-500 combo works best for more distant objects at relatively constant distances ->"horses for courses"!

Downside of all that is that my backpack is bloody heavy on those days
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

walt

Link Posted 13/04/2017 - 22:30
Hi John, interesting findings. I know my FA*300 F4.5 feels like a real speed demon on the K3 because of the upgraded motor on the K3. I did some testing a few years ago with my K30 and FA* against my Canon 30D and Sigma 100-300 F4 HSM and ended up carrying them around reserves to do side by side test, so understand how heavy a rucksack can get in these circumstances....
Walt
Flickr
Picasa

walt

Link Posted 13/04/2017 - 22:34
davidstorm wrote:
walt wrote:
Quote:

Had to take the K-30 as a 2nd body when we went to an airshow with the K-3 in for service, and I hope I'll never have to do that again because it just ain't as fast to focus or shoot. Would like a K-3II for the (reputedly improved focusing), but only if I can pick up a s/h one at a good price.

Wow, almost exactly the opposite of how I feel, my K3 has a noticeable delay on focus, not starting the af or speed of af but just at the point you think it's in focus it does a double take, I just don't notice this so much with the K30. Also the consistency in accuracy seems a bit more variable with the K3 than the K30. To be honest I'm getting a bit cheesed off with my Pentax since adding the DA*300 to my kit to replace the FA*300 4.5 because it's slow and that doesn't help with the af, so that may be influencing my opinions these days. BTW I use the Li-ion battery on the K30 because it is much faster to AF with this than the rechargeable AA NiMH. Also just to note most of my images are wildlife, so when I talk about af it's with that in mind.

Hi Mike, my K-3 is the opposite to yours and is noticeably better at AF than my K-5iis, in particular when focusing on small subjects using the centre spot focusing technique. I always use the DA*300 on the K-3 when taking images of birds for this very reason, it nails focus much more successfully and quicker than the K-5iis. Could there be a fault with your K-3?

Regards
David

Hi David, I wrote a detailed response to you, but then thought maybe you didn't reply to me because of the wrong name so deleted it, then reread the post and I'm pretty sure you were replying to me! Gist of it was yep, small af point in K3 is better than larger af point of K30 for small birds in branches etc
Walt
Flickr
Picasa

Wizhunter

Link Posted 15/04/2017 - 19:26
I am new to Pentax, saying that i had an old Pentax film camera many years ago. Been a Canon user since the early days of digital but decided to change to Pentax, thought of changing to Nikon but for some reason Pentax seemed more appealing. At the moment i still have a couple of Canons The 650D and a 400D that i have had a long time and probably won't part with, so i think that will be my secondary body to go with the K-S2 that i am waiting to be delivered.

Tim

derrenhodson

Link Posted 16/04/2017 - 07:00
I have a K3ii and a KP, the K3ii with battery grip is great for larger lenses and the KP is great for limited primes. I think you only need two bodies at the same time if speed is important, such as events and weddings as its quicker than changing lenses. When it comes to landscapes they tend not to move so should be ok with just the one
Pentax KP & Ricoh GR11| 15mm, 35mm Macro, 20-40mm & 70mm Limited |DA* 16-50 & 50-135mm|55-300mm WR RE|AF-540 FGZ|D-BG7 Grip

www.derrenhodsonphotography.co.uk

ronniemac

Link Posted 17/04/2017 - 00:25
I don't have what it takes to sell a Pentax*, so now I have a few, any of which can be called upon to supplement the K-1 or K-3ii. It's also nice to be able to travel light so the K-S2 or even a K-01 or Q7 will get an outing as an alternative to a bag load of gear. Of course, taking photos is merely a hobby, so I have no need for a duplicate backup camera.

* Bit of a fib that. SRS took my 645 setup in p/x for K-1 and FF lenses.

davesexton

Link Posted 17/04/2017 - 08:57
edin_togger wrote:
Currently I've just got the K1 and I'm pondering a second body, partly because I'm interested in trying to switch to a prime setup for much of what I do.

Would you just try and source a second K1?

With primes only even two K1's would be a relatively light and compact setup for travelling or hiking when I'm landscape shooting.

The only exception to the primes rule is probably going to be a 60-250 which I tried on a K1 last weekend and seems fine and maybe a cheap 28-105 if I can find one!

Personally, I would go for a K3-II or a KP as a second body. It mitigates failure and had the advantage of providing extra reach with the same lenses due to the crop factor. It also provides a slightly more compact camera for carrying on vacation if needed. I also use a K-1 as my primary camera. I still have my old K-r, but I woudl like a better camera as my second body. I even have the diminutive Q10 which can give surprisingly good results.
Capture: Pentax K-1, PENTAX HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR, PENTAX 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro, SAMYANG 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC, SAMYANG 35mm F1.4 AS UMC, SAMYANG 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC

Processing: Adobe Bridge for organisation, DxO Optics Pro Elite for RAW development, ON1 Photo RAW for some 'stylising' and Affintiy Photo for more involved edits.

MrB

Link Posted 17/04/2017 - 09:16
Sometimes I carry two different bodies and their different ways of operating and different positioning of controls can be quite irritating. Therefore for consistency and ease of use, if funds will stretch that far, it might be worth considering getting another K-1. As for the crop factor - isn't that the same as cropping into a K-1 image?

Cheers.
Philip

pschlute

Link Posted 17/04/2017 - 09:19
MrB wrote:
As for the crop factor - isn't that the same as cropping into a K-1 image?

Exactly the same. Using the camera in crop mode just uses a aps-c size portion of the sensor.

One thing to consider is that using a DA lens on the K1, you will only get the lens correction facilities (if you use them) when used in crop mode.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 17/04/2017 - 09:23

ronniemac

Link Posted 17/04/2017 - 12:29
pschlute wrote:
MrB wrote:
As for the crop factor - isn't that the same as cropping into a K-1 image?

Exactly the same. Using the camera in crop mode just uses a aps-c size portion of the sensor.

One thing to consider is that using a DA lens on the K1, you will only get the lens correction facilities (if you use them) when used in crop mode.

In terms of resolution (pixel count), the K-1 has effectively made the K-5 redundant because as has been pointed out previously the K-1's crop mode resolution is similar to that of the K-5. However it's a different story with the 24 MP Pentaxes; typically I'll use the K-1 for landscape and architecture, but prefer the K-3ii (with the 150-450mm) for nature when long reach is needed. In fair lighting conditions it gives greater pixel count for the same photographic area because it has more pixels per mm2. Of course when it comes to quality of image, in less than ideal light conditions, the K-1 with its lower noise performs at least as well as a K-5, i.e. slightly better than the high pixel density K-3ii.

Of course the differences are not substantial, but it gives me just enough justification for not parting with the much liked K-3ii!
Last Edited by ronniemac on 17/04/2017 - 12:31

McGregNi

Link Posted 17/04/2017 - 13:04
We keep on reading the same 'extra reach' argument made all the time, supposedly suggesting that aps-c is better for wildlife because you don't need such long expensive lenses (e.g a 300mm is enough instead of 400 or 450) .

But the reality is, surely, that there is no 'extra reach' ....reach is the magnification that the lens provides, and that stays the same regardless of the camera format.

What changes is the amount of space we see around our subject through the viewfinder. This creates what I have described here before as an 'optical illusion' that the subject is bigger. Whist it may mean that the composition is easier to achieve nicely in the camera, a simple crop away of excess space on the FF image will leave you with the same image, won't it? It may not even be needed to crop all the way in to the apps-c frame boundaries.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 17/04/2017 - 13:07

johnriley

Link Posted 17/04/2017 - 13:53
Not quite Nigel. The APS-C crop on a K-1 is only about 15MP, so a 24MP K-3 or K-3 II will have more pixels in the image and therefore record greater detail.
Best regards, John

McGregNi

Link Posted 17/04/2017 - 15:28
OK, but I'm saying that you may not have to crop right in as far as the APS-C border. In terms of pixel resolution then yes, the K3 out-numbers the K1 at the full crop size, but if its a choice to be made, then you can still get a great deal out of a K1, and say a 300mm lens, if you can't afford longer FF telephotos. I suppose my argument is that this factor does not necessarily mean that 'aps-c is better for wildlife', based on 'reach' alone. Its probably a personal decision based on budget.

If I was buying a K1 for landscapes mainly, but had a good 300mm lens also, I wouldn't then say 'I must get an aps-c model as well for my wildlife shots'.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

LawrenceKH

Link Posted 27/04/2017 - 02:32
As to why I ended up with so many cameras and lenses -- it isn't just one thing. Here is recent example: I was using the K3ii for a few months but then (after being influenced by a discussion on the U.S. Pentax forum) tried the K-S2 -- liked it and thought it would make a nice alternative when I wanted to hike a bit lighter, but it had an AF problem when using both the 55-300PLM and the the 16-45. I had bought those two lenses, the former new and the latter used with the idea of having convenient overlap for hiking, and since the AF problem was with both lenses I thought the camera the problem and returned it. It wasn't. Time passed. I returned both the 55-300PLM and 16-45 after trying them on the K3ii.

I already had the 55-300WR so after my trouble with the 55-300PLM decided to stick with the WR for the time being. I spent more time in the 16-45mm range anyway; so I spent some time looking for a good copy of the 16-45 and did in fact find a very good copy. I used the K3ii and the 16-45 for hikes for awhile.

There was a rumor (since denied) that Ricoh might discontinue their Pentax DSLRs, so I decided to get a feel for what it might be like to have only discontinued cameras and lenses. I dusted off my Olympus E-5 and 12-60mm lens and used these on a couple of hikes. The photos seemed especially good.

Ricoh said not to worry. They were going to sell "high value' cameras. I'm not sure what a high value camera is, but thought that might not be the K-70 (the K-S2 successor) and decided I wanted to try one, especially for its low-light capabilities. I bought one and tried it on a hike for the first time on 24-4-17.

In the Apr 2017 folder on my photo-site [ https://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/RiverPhotography/Apr-2017/ ] you can see the rather good Olympus E5 & 12-60 shots on two hikes and then the not quite so good K-70 & 16-45 shots from this Monday 24-4-17 -- the poorer quality of the latest outing was a result of the weather. I wanted to see how the K-70 would do on a very dark morning. The clouds were so dense the sun couldn't shine through. I used the K-70 at ISO 1600 mostly but got it up to 6400 on occasion when I was under some trees or the sky was especially dark.

When I checked the 24-4-17 results later in Light Room, I probably kept more than was warranted but I to get such clear results on such a day and this was not something I had experienced before. The Olympus E5 and 12-60 wouldn't have done nearly as well I am quite sure.

And now I am looking forward to taking the K-70 and perhaps the Samyang 35 and the Voigtlander 90mm on a clear day to see how well the K-70 works with these high-quality manual lenses.

It is one adventure after the other and I don't want to abandon any of it.

Lawrence

nass

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 03:08
I now have 5 bodies: 3 Pentax, 2 Canon. 1 Canon was a hand-me-down from a deceased relative, and the other I bought to be able to use MPE65. The Pentaxes are my original K7, a K5 and a K3ii. I bought K7 and K5, Pentax gave me K3ii. I keep the K3ii on my microscope the whole time in order to be able to use pixelshift - vital for microscopy work because it enables EFSC, electronic front curtain shutter. K7 is perfectly ok for my horizontal rig' and K5, originally bought for its high iso capability, now happily lives on my vertical rig. I've considered buying K1 many times, again for EFSC, but everytime I consider it I look at what I've got and think I really just don't need it (as much fun as it might be to own a shiny new trinket!)
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.