How deep are you prepared to go?

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 21:37
I need some wellies so that I can get my tripod into streams etc instead of always taking the shot from the bank...
It occured to me that fishing-waders might be an interesting purchase and being able to take shots (from tripod) from within bigger rivers/lakes/ponds could have compositional advantages...

Anybody prepared to get wet for the shot?

Anyone go deeper than the knee in their photography?
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Blythman

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 21:39
Most of my seascapes involve wearing wellies, with the tripod in the sea.

Wellies are very slippy on rocks though
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Helpful

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 21:43
I've always planned on getting a pair of waders so I can do a proper river walk

fatspider

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 21:47
I answered "Never" because the poll doesn't include the option of "It Depends"

And that means it would depend on the circumstances/shot and how near to home or a change of clothes I was. I certainly wouldn't want to don waders and attempt a shot from the middle of a river, I don't do "wet" other than a hot bath, I even carry some plastic bags around in case I have to kneel down on wet ground

Helpful

dougf8

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 21:52
Don't forget running water/waves undermine the stability of tripod feet, washing away the sand/silt they stand on, so NEVER leave your tripod unattended. Nearly lost a Sony PD150 in the sea that way

Helpful

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 21:52
Blythman wrote:

Wellies are very slippy on rocks though

That's not what I wanted to hear when planning on carrying my K5 into the water...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Film:

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 21:56
fatspider wrote:
I even carry some plastic bags around in case I have to kneel down on wet ground

I bought a pair of strap-on kneepads while re-painting the gallery the other month... They now live in the boot of my car but can hook them to my camera bag if I think I might be kneeling a bit...
Digital:
Flash:
Film:

fatspider

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 22:05
Quote:
I bought a pair of strap-on kneepads

Be very careful explaining that to friends after a few drinks

Closest I've come to really getting wet was a shot of Dunstanbro' Castle, two tripod legs 3 foot deep in water and the third on the rock I was perched on, had to crouch down to compose the shot and nearly got my backside soaked by incoming tide the shot's in my PPG.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

puma

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 22:19
You really need to come with me in the lakes ask David Storm

Helpful

dougf8

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 22:38
BTW, Dave, you have heard of boats?

I can sell you a Mini-X kayak cheap and a Peli case for the camera when launching.
Lurking is shirking.!

Gamka

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 22:50
Have been up above my waist in a river and halfway across with my camera to get the right picture.

I have full chest waders and ALWAYS wear an automatic life jacket/collar.

The first example I could find:

davidstorm

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 23:10
I'm quite fond of scrambling over rocks in the middle of fast flowing rivers and streams, not very sensible, but it's the only way to get some different angles and shots that most other people don't bother with!

Shaun's already mentioned the Lakes; I usually come back from there with wet feet!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Spotmetre

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 23:26
About three years ago I waded into the North Willen Lake in Milton Keynes to take pixs of the Hiroshima day ceremony, where floating lanterns are pushed off and float across the lake. I got some good pictures and it's just as well, because I got a nasty leg infection. The calf swole right up, I could hardly get my bike boot on.

It's a balancing lake; it holds flood water then releases it slowly, so there's hardly any current flow. It's clear until you wade through it, then it goes cloudy and stinky as you kick up all the stuff at the bottom, which sits there rotting for years on end and contains a high proportion of duck sh1t.

When I peeled off my trainers and socks, I discovered that fine particles, some of which were you-know-what, had got to my feet. Even washing my feet and calves under an outside tap and changing to clean dry socks and boots didn't prevent the infection.

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 23:39
Spotmetre wrote:

When I peeled off my trainers and socks, I discovered that fine particles, some of which were you-know-what, had got to my feet. Even washing my feet and calves under an outside tap and changing to clean dry socks and boots didn't prevent the infection.

LOL! Hence the need for wellies and/or waders (which seem to be fairly expensive)
Digital:
Flash:
Film:

Gamka

Link Posted 24/04/2013 - 00:26
DaveHolmes wrote:

LOL! Hence the need for wellies and/or waders (which seem to be fairly expensive)

You can pick up a reasonable set of chest waders for 50.

But if going into unknown water above mid calf make sure that there is someone else close-by and you have some sort of flotation device - it does not take much of a current to knock to you over.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.