Happy upgrading to K-1?
Posted 14/09/2016 - 22:06
Link
Whether it is worth 'upgrading' to a K1 from a K5 depends to a great extent upon how you want to present your photographs. 16MP is ample for most purposes. If you mainly view photographs on a screen, moving to full frame will probably not transform your experience. The K5 also produces very decent prints at A3. The definition of a K1 or any other full-frame camera will offer greater scope for printing large (provided a good lens is attached). Of course the K1 has bells and whistles unavailable on the K5, but fundamentally you are likely to notice an incremental rather than marked difference in your output solely as a result of buying it.
Posted 15/09/2016 - 11:41
Link
McGregNi wrote:
Obviously there are other benefits to be gained from such an upgrade, I appreciate that .... it might be improved AF, the interface, dynamic range that might help even in 'fill flash' situations, or more detail ... although I'm not personally worried about forensic details on my little kids faces.
But going back to Gajan and Robs replys, the real point I'm making here is about looking at our own personal technical needs to help with the right equipment choices. Possibly Rob may never need more clarity and detail than he can get from the K50 with that 50mm lens on a tripod .... but if he didn't own the tripod, or didn't know the techniques to take a very still picture, would we advise him to get a K1, or suggest the tripod and practising the techniques with the camera he had first ... ?
Likewise with my flash examples ..... its something I do a lot of, and I'm happy with the results from my current camera mostly .... however, of course, I know that if I'm thinking about indoors flash situations, and trying to balance low ambient light with flash, then yes, of course, I'd be very pleased to have a new K1 !
So again, if someone, for example, didn't have a flash and didn't know the techniques for using it .... but wanted to improve their outdoor portraits.... would we advise them to get a K1, or would it be more effective to suggest learning about the flash techniques and equipment ? I think that would give the most 'bang per buck' in terms of real improvements to their images.
A new lens can give a real boost as well ..... I was delighted to try out the D FA 28-105 in the playground the other day, using the usual flash techniques to balance the light, and it really does make a difference as well ....
Nigel, I do really appreciate your effort to make the point that as a photographer one should try to learn the skills using peripheral equipment which can be useful to improve quality rather than relying on the latest camera. I understand I won't get the satisfaction with even the K-1 if my approach is not right. I can still continue to expand my skills with the new model while enjoying new features and capabilities it offers. From the responses from our friends here so far, they all seem to be very happy with it.Blythman wrote:
Fill flash works with the K-1 too Nigel....
Phew, I'm relieved to hear that ! It was the only thing putting me off Fill flash works with the K-1 too Nigel....
Obviously there are other benefits to be gained from such an upgrade, I appreciate that .... it might be improved AF, the interface, dynamic range that might help even in 'fill flash' situations, or more detail ... although I'm not personally worried about forensic details on my little kids faces.
But going back to Gajan and Robs replys, the real point I'm making here is about looking at our own personal technical needs to help with the right equipment choices. Possibly Rob may never need more clarity and detail than he can get from the K50 with that 50mm lens on a tripod .... but if he didn't own the tripod, or didn't know the techniques to take a very still picture, would we advise him to get a K1, or suggest the tripod and practising the techniques with the camera he had first ... ?
Likewise with my flash examples ..... its something I do a lot of, and I'm happy with the results from my current camera mostly .... however, of course, I know that if I'm thinking about indoors flash situations, and trying to balance low ambient light with flash, then yes, of course, I'd be very pleased to have a new K1 !
So again, if someone, for example, didn't have a flash and didn't know the techniques for using it .... but wanted to improve their outdoor portraits.... would we advise them to get a K1, or would it be more effective to suggest learning about the flash techniques and equipment ? I think that would give the most 'bang per buck' in terms of real improvements to their images.
A new lens can give a real boost as well ..... I was delighted to try out the D FA 28-105 in the playground the other day, using the usual flash techniques to balance the light, and it really does make a difference as well ....
CMW wrote:
Whether it is worth 'upgrading' to a K1 from a K5 depends to a great extent upon how you want to present your photographs. 16MP is ample for most purposes. If you mainly view photographs on a screen, moving to full frame will probably not transform your experience. The K5 also produces very decent prints at A3. The definition of a K1 or any other full-frame camera will offer greater scope for printing large (provided a good lens is attached). Of course the K1 has bells and whistles unavailable on the K5, but fundamentally you are likely to notice an incremental rather than marked difference in your output solely as a result of buying it.
Yes, however, one of the benefits I can see is the extra resolution gives the ability to crop more tightly. Also, the astrotracer feature may also be useful as I am looking forward to do some atrophotography in the future.
Whether it is worth 'upgrading' to a K1 from a K5 depends to a great extent upon how you want to present your photographs. 16MP is ample for most purposes. If you mainly view photographs on a screen, moving to full frame will probably not transform your experience. The K5 also produces very decent prints at A3. The definition of a K1 or any other full-frame camera will offer greater scope for printing large (provided a good lens is attached). Of course the K1 has bells and whistles unavailable on the K5, but fundamentally you are likely to notice an incremental rather than marked difference in your output solely as a result of buying it.
Best Regards,
Gajan
Flickr : link
Pentax K-1, D-FA 28-105mm, FA 77mm, D FA 100mm Macro
Pentax K-5, 18-135 mm, 55-300mm
Pentax K100D Super, 18-55mm
Gajan
Flickr : link
Pentax K-1, D-FA 28-105mm, FA 77mm, D FA 100mm Macro
Pentax K-5, 18-135 mm, 55-300mm
Pentax K100D Super, 18-55mm
Posted 15/09/2016 - 13:46
Link
I'm loving the K-1, my only criticism is the squishy feel to the shutter button.
Digital: Pentax K-1 II + Grip, Pentax K3II + Grip, Pentax MX-1.
Lenses: Pentax D-FA 24-70mm 2.8, D-FA 15-30 2.8, D-FA 70-200 2.8*, Pentax 35mm 2.4, 50mm 1.8, 18-135mm WR, 55-300mm HD, Sigma 70-300mm (macro), Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
Film: Mamiya C330 Medium Format, Pentax Super ME.
Lenses: Pentax D-FA 24-70mm 2.8, D-FA 15-30 2.8, D-FA 70-200 2.8*, Pentax 35mm 2.4, 50mm 1.8, 18-135mm WR, 55-300mm HD, Sigma 70-300mm (macro), Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
Film: Mamiya C330 Medium Format, Pentax Super ME.
Posted 15/09/2016 - 14:36
Link
davidstorm wrote:
I think the decision to upgrade is more about 'want' than 'need' for most of us.
I believe this is too. It certainly applied to me. But after a hands-on with the K-1, it was obvious to me that it was such a step up from the K5 IIs I had at the time that I didn’t want to settle for anything less. A strong consideration for me was that I already had some very nice FF primes (FA 43 and FA*85 to name two). I think the decision to upgrade is more about 'want' than 'need' for most of us.
I am sure that I could still be equally happy with APS-C if the K-1 was not feasible.
CiderDrinker wrote:
I'm loving the K-1, my only criticism is the squishy feel to the shutter button.
This is true. I’ve read somewhere it has to do with being able to release the shutter more gently and therefor with less vibration. You get used to it but the feel of the previous buttons was indeed nicer.
I'm loving the K-1, my only criticism is the squishy feel to the shutter button.
Pentax K-1| D-FA 24-70mm | FA 43mm F1.9 Ltd | FA* 85mm F1.4 | D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR | DA* 200mm F2.8 | Pentax AF 540FGZ
Posted 15/09/2016 - 15:50
Link
Has it?? Is that the Brexit affect we've been warned was coming?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 15/09/2016 - 17:56
Link
Price rises happened today. K3ii is now £90 more and sadly the K-1 is now £1799.
K3iii, K3ii, K-5, K-x, DA150-450mm, DA16-85WR, DA16-45, DA18-55WR, DA18-135WR, DA35 F2.4, M100mm F4 Macro, DA55-300mm, FA50mm 1.4, AF360 Flash, AF540 Flash
Posted 15/09/2016 - 18:10
Link
So maybe those who went with the launch deals were not so daft after all!
Posted 15/09/2016 - 22:40
Link
I just heard the price will rise in the Euro-zone too, less extreme though, from €2000 to €2100. Stronger Yen apparently.
Pentax K-1| D-FA 24-70mm | FA 43mm F1.9 Ltd | FA* 85mm F1.4 | D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR | DA* 200mm F2.8 | Pentax AF 540FGZ
Posted 16/09/2016 - 07:37
Link
Mike-P wrote:
Does this mean I can ask an extra £90 for the K-3II I'm thinking of selling? 😅
Have lens prices gone up as well? (I really have little idea on prices these days)
Won't harm your asking price. From what I can see on SRS Microsystems the lenses haven't changed but maybe that is down to stock levels, we have been warned to expect increases soon.
Does this mean I can ask an extra £90 for the K-3II I'm thinking of selling? 😅
Have lens prices gone up as well? (I really have little idea on prices these days)
Posted 16/09/2016 - 09:23
Link
Blythman wrote:
Fill flash works with the K-1 too Nigel. And with the sensor size there is more detail. That's even after cropping. Its 5.7k pixels on the long side.

Harvest Mouse on ear of wheat by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
I'm curious about the technicalities of this shot. I've looked at the exif and note it was taken at 1/320". The K-1 only sychs flash down to 1/200". How do you use fill in flash at a faster shutter speed than the camera is designed to cope with? (Great photo by the way!)
Fill flash works with the K-1 too Nigel. And with the sensor size there is more detail. That's even after cropping. Its 5.7k pixels on the long side.

Harvest Mouse on ear of wheat by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
John K
Posted 16/09/2016 - 23:53
Link
Thanks Alan, I'll investigate that. My flash knowledge is still stuck in the Sunpack Autozoom era but I do have a Samsung badged 540 so will investigate. Having read the sych speed is 1/180 or 1/200 it sounds that must be only half the story. I'm quite at home with the old Sunpacks but worry the voltage is too high for DSLRs and the 540 seems to have too many settings to remember for casual use!
John K
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


5986 posts
14 years
Surrey,
England
Fill flash works with the K-1 too Nigel....
Obviously there are other benefits to be gained from such an upgrade, I appreciate that .... it might be improved AF, the interface, dynamic range that might help even in 'fill flash' situations, or more detail ... although I'm not personally worried about forensic details on my little kids faces.
But going back to Gajan and Robs replys, the real point I'm making here is about looking at our own personal technical needs to help with the right equipment choices. Possibly Rob may never need more clarity and detail than he can get from the K50 with that 50mm lens on a tripod .... but if he didn't own the tripod, or didn't know the techniques to take a very still picture, would we advise him to get a K1, or suggest the tripod and practising the techniques with the camera he had first ... ?
Likewise with my flash examples ..... its something I do a lot of, and I'm happy with the results from my current camera mostly .... however, of course, I know that if I'm thinking about indoors flash situations, and trying to balance low ambient light with flash, then yes, of course, I'd be very pleased to have a new K1 !
So again, if someone, for example, didn't have a flash and didn't know the techniques for using it .... but wanted to improve their outdoor portraits.... would we advise them to get a K1, or would it be more effective to suggest learning about the flash techniques and equipment ? I think that would give the most 'bang per buck' in terms of real improvements to their images.
A new lens can give a real boost as well ..... I was delighted to try out the D FA 28-105 in the playground the other day, using the usual flash techniques to balance the light, and it really does make a difference as well ....
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver