Good - Free(ish) - Video-Editing Software?

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 26/11/2012 - 22:00
After Saturday's adventure documenting (stills) a music-video shoot and recent conversations about the importance of diversification for arts practitioners/makers (on the course that I'm currently on) I think it's high time I tried a bit of film making...

Same old story... I'm poor... So it's going to have to be as 'on the cheap' as possible... I have a small video light... Can get hold of a bigger one on loan if need be and have a small arsenal of microphones and recording equipment that can be put to use from my rock'n'roll days (just need to hack some cables)...
Have a K5 which 'can' do the job (although K5 reviews suggest it's not great) but video editing software is not something I'm too clued up on... Plus, I'm skint.

Anyone know of any decent open-source (or just free or very-cheap) video editing software I could try out?

Anything else I need to consider before attemting to shoot video?

Appreciated
Dave
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

geordie01

Link Posted 26/11/2012 - 22:15
I think Don is the guy you need to talk to regarding video he has done some very decent stuff with a K-r so a K-5 should be better

davidstorm

Link Posted 26/11/2012 - 22:21
Hi Dave, firstly I would not recommmend that any 'free' or 'cheap' video editing software will give you the professional results you are looking for. Also, you will need a pretty powerful PC, otherwise the editing will become a very painful process. The issue with the K-5 is not the quality of footage (it is excellent), but the size of the files it produces (they are massive).

My son has done a fair amount of video work with a K-x - this is a great little video machine and although only 720p instead of full HD, the quality of images is very good and the file sizes are smaller. However, we've had to buy him a new powerful 64-bit PC and this is running Power Director 64-bit Ultra (a reasonably priced mid-range home video editor). The same software running on an Intel dual-core 3.3ghz 32 bit PC with 3GB of RAM was not up to the task.

Sorry if this sounds a bit 'down' but don't under estimate the processing power you need to edit good quality video files, especially if they are more than just a few minutes long.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 26/11/2012 - 22:22

Helpful

puma

Link Posted 26/11/2012 - 22:24
try this link i think any way
my web site http://www.swilsonphotography.foliopic.com/
PPG link

Don

Link Posted 26/11/2012 - 22:28
when it comes to video, imovie or movie maker are your best bets.... sony vegas some people like other hate, pinnacle has some stuff as well...
but let's say you're going with windoze movie maker or imovie...
the k5, ae-lock button an manual focus are your friends....
you got the audio gear so that is great....
add fast memory cards and you should be fine.. your k5 limits your recording time so plan your shoots and editing for fast cuts and short takes.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Helpful

steven9761

Link Posted 26/11/2012 - 22:32
Dave - working on the assumption that you don't already have anything like what you require installed on your computer already, why not try Windows Live Movie Maker? It will allow you the basic editing tools, plus there is a facility to let you add your own soundtracks. Other than that, see if you can get a trial copy of Adobe's Premier Elements, or Sony's Vegas Studio.

Don

Link Posted 26/11/2012 - 22:45
steven9761 wrote:
Dave - working on the assumption that you don't already have anything like what you require installed on your computer already, why not try Windows Live Movie Maker? It will allow you the basic editing tools, plus there is a facility to let you add your own soundtracks. Other than that, see if you can get a trial copy of Adobe's Premier Elements, or Sony's Vegas Studio.

I forgot about priemier! I have premiere pro as part of cs6 but I like final cut pro better...

pentaxian450

Link Posted 26/11/2012 - 22:57
As a free editing program, you can try Picasa.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Don

Link Posted 27/11/2012 - 08:04
also if you have photoshop cs6 it does some video editing as well.

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 27/11/2012 - 08:15
Hi all.. Thanks!

I have picassa... It'll play video files but there's no editing in there that I can find...

cs6 is way too rich for my blood at the moment...

I'm going to try VirtualDub but have also heard Avidemux is quite good...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Mannesty

Link Posted 27/11/2012 - 08:25
You might find this useful in making your choice.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

gartmore

Link Posted 27/11/2012 - 10:41
Personally I'd go for Sony Vegas in one of it's many forms. You can download a free unrestricted trial too.

I hate Premier which seems to crash alarmingly for everyone who uses it.

Professionally I use Final Cut Pro on Macs.

I posted some links in the 'Mirrorless Cameras' forum which came from the Pentax Facebook page which you might find interesting.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 27/11/2012 - 10:43

pentaxian450

Link Posted 27/11/2012 - 12:44
Photoshop Premiere Elements is not too expensive and the results are pretty good.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

eddyc

Link Posted 02/12/2012 - 23:51
You could install a linux partition on your pc and then there are a good number of free video editing tools to choose from.

Open Shot seems to be recommended on a number of sites but I've never used it myself:

http://www.openshotvideo.com/

McGregNi

Link Posted 03/12/2012 - 15:54
AVS Video editor is a comprehensive but well priced option. Search for AVS4you.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.