Good - Free(ish) - Video-Editing Software?

thespirit3
Posted 06/12/2012 - 14:57 Link
Yes, listen to eddyc - OpenShot is a) free and b) better than many of the commercial solutions below £150. I spent a lot of time looking into all the mainstream products (AVS, Adobe, Sony) but the forums were generally full of comments suggesting difficult interfaces, massive learning curves, additional cost for specific plugins/codecs, instability and lack of support.

OpenShot may be basic, but it works well and supports all media formats I've thrown at it!

Check the main site here: http://www.openshot.org/ and find videos of the interface and results here: http://www.openshot.org/videos/

I forgot to say it can integrate with Blender for 3D modelled effects, too.

Steve

Edit: Of course, if you have a Mac, iMovie (or whatever it's called) will likely do everything you need
Edited by thespirit3: 06/12/2012 - 15:01
OldTaffy
Posted 15/03/2015 - 12:27 Link
steven9761 wrote:
Dave - working on the assumption that you don't already have anything like what you require installed on your computer already, why not try Windows Live Movie Maker? It will allow you the basic editing tools, plus there is a facility to let you add your own soundtracks. ...
I found this old thread when I too was looking for a very simple, free or cheap, way of basic 'cut-&-paste' editing some casual video runs of garden wildlife made with my K-x. Here are my comments:

Having recently moved on (I won't say "up" or "upgraded" ) from Windows XP to Windows7, I decided to try the basic "Windows Live Movie Maker". It's part of a group of free downloads from Microsoft, but one only needs to install the PhotoGallery+MovieMaker component. It was fairly easy to learn how to use the basics, with the aid of a good pdf tutorial from the University at Albany (Google: "working with windows live movie maker"). I can now extract just the interesting bits from 10-15 minute runs of video taken on my K-x and string them together into a single video. When I am ready, it will let me insert captions, music (yuk) and make ready to convert to a DVD via the DVD Maker that is already in my Windows 7 Pro. It runs reasonably fast on my machine which has 4 GB RAM.

This is basic editing with no frills. It is all I need for casual video clips, and it's free!

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo