Game changers

jules

Link Posted 27/05/2017 - 11:15
What bits of kit be iit a new lens/body/accessories or a trip to a particular location have significantly changed "The Game" cor you in a positive manner?

For me and to get the ball rolling it is this Tripod head, the level in the arca mount with the revolving top plate for my landscape photography is simply a revalation!

It's a Novo CBH 34 for those interested.
And the damn piccie has gone in sideways again!

Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 27/05/2017 - 11:18

Algernon

Link Posted 27/05/2017 - 12:16
Looks a good head. A decent ball head is the first accessory that anyone should buy.

I like to build a tripod whenever I venture into the wilds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_1uTJh-Ats

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Helpful

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/05/2017 - 18:12
Its got to be my first Pentax AF-540FGZ flash! Before I started to learn to use it, I realise that most of my people photography was limited and hindered. The flash changed all that, and the enthusiasm for it led to more flashes and off-camera flash photography as well .... a real revelation and transformation for my people photography!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Helpful

davidstorm

Link Posted 28/05/2017 - 19:28
For me, the DA*300 and 1.4 TC for shots of wild birds. So much better than the Sigma 150-500 I had previously. Oh, and a ball head for my tripod.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Helpful

davidwozhere

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 01:05
Acquiring a nearly new Pentax bellows M. Now I can do all manner of macro shooting with a whole variety of lenses.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Helpful

nass

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 02:44
Like Davidwozhere - acquiring a bellows. I had no particular interest in macro before that, but with that bellows, I won a Flickr group macro competition. Then I started playing with different lenses, lighting, apparatus, made a website about it and I haven't really looked back since then.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

Helpful

stub

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 16:48
For me it was off camera lighting.... It takes away all the excuses. Gave me a massive interest in portraiture ive never had before. People like to see the images of themselves lit properly..
You also get better results from lesser / slower lenses..!!
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Last Edited by stub on 29/05/2017 - 16:50

Helpful

jules

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 18:43
Algernon wrote:
Looks a good head. A decent ball head is the first accessory that anyone should buy.

I like to build a tripod whenever I venture into the wilds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_1uTJh-Ats

--

Just watched the Vid Algi!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams

jules

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 18:45
To all who have answered so far, fascinating stuff! It just goes to show what a varied pastime/obsession. photography is, if anyone can think of any more, keep em comin!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

cedricd

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 18:46
davidstorm wrote:
For me, the DA*300 and 1.4 TC for shots of wild birds. So much better than the Sigma 150-500 I had previously. Oh, and a ball head for my tripod.

Regards
David

I definitely go with the Da*300 and 1.4 TC. Works well on a K3. I really need to try both together on my K1.
Enjoy life

Helpful

Algernon

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 19:01
jules wrote:
What bits of kit be kit a new lens/body/accessories or a trip to a particular location have significantly changed "The Game" for you in a positive manner?

For me and to get the ball rolling it is this Tripod head, the level in the arca mount with the revolving top plate for my landscape photography is simply a revelation!

Like most Ball Heads that ones upside down If you level the bubble on top it goes off level as soon as you rotate it using the fancy degrees scale

The big changer for me is most Novoflex gear especially the large focusing rails.

I've got their ClassiBall 5, but not the upside down one....
https://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/ball-heads/classicba...
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 29/05/2017 - 19:08

pschlute

Link Posted 29/05/2017 - 19:42
Well for me it my exploration of flash lighting that I have been doing this year. My purchase of Cactus v6II radio triggers and extra flash units has opened my eyes to a chapter of photography I had previously ignored. It's been portraits of our dogs so far, but I want to venture out to human subjects soon !
Peter

My Flickr page

Helpful

jules

Link Posted 02/06/2017 - 09:35
Algernon wrote:
jules wrote:
What bits of kit be kit a new lens/body/accessories or a trip to a particular location have significantly changed "The Game" for you in a positive manner?

For me and to get the ball rolling it is this Tripod head, the level in the arca mount with the revolving top plate for my landscape photography is simply a revelation!

Like most Ball Heads that ones upside down If you level the bubble on top it goes off level as soon as you rotate it using the fancy degrees scale

The big changer for me is most Novoflex gear especially the large focusing rails.

I've got their ClassiBall 5, but not the upside down one....
https://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/ball-heads/classicba...
--

Lovely looking kit Algi, I dream of this...
Just not at the price it is...

Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 02/06/2017 - 09:35

richandfleur

Link Posted 02/06/2017 - 09:41
Game changer for me was DSLR video. Suddenly I wasn't limited to the handicam point and shoot of past years, and it's associated one fixed lens. I could introduce that cinematic depth of feel into my videos and the K-30 transformed my video look instantly. It gave me an interchangeable lens platform, and I've never looked back.

The update I expected, which would return the obvious omission of real Pentax mechanical stabilisation of the previous K-x/K-7/K-5 series, never came though unfortunately

wvbarnes

Link Posted 02/06/2017 - 09:50
For me it was also the F4 300 star and matching tele adapter. AFC for wildlife was a problem with the K3 though.I always ended up with having to use AFS and missed too much. Tele adapter reducing depth of field probably contributed.

Travel abroad also increased desire for a lighter kit took me to looking at mirrorless. Too expensive and not so small as you'd think I decided.

I've sold the prime 300 F4 and adapter.

I've moved to and been delighted by the new lighter 55 - 300mm PLM lens and the K3 II. They seem to like each other a lot. AFC now works as intended with much higher success rate. Improved SR also a nice improvement in low light or slower shutter with telephoto than previously possible.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.