Gallery and adverts.

Johnwnjr

Link Posted 12/10/2021 - 10:23
I find all the adverts when looking at the Gallery Photographs appalling. I wonder if others feel the same. It is not only the gallery now. It is top and bottom of any Pentax User screen. Also below the Gallery shots today are announcements and links to Sony Cameras. Although I have nothing against Sony Cameras, surely the Pentax Users page is not the place for them. John R

LennyBloke

Link Posted 12/10/2021 - 11:08
It seems we are bombarded by adverts all over the place nowadays, that plus the need to "accept settings" on almost every web site. At least on the gallery you can click an image to see it larger and not have it covered in ads
LennyBloke

barkin

Link Posted 12/10/2021 - 12:05
I use the Adblock Plus extension with my browser. The only ad that I see is a banner for SRS.

Is something similar available for whatever browser you're using?

Chrism8

Link Posted 12/10/2021 - 12:05
I agree, I fully understand sites need revenue and particularly where us ( the users ) don't pay a subscription fee of any sort.

I do find the bottom ad's annoying even more so cos you have to hit the " X " to get rid of it every time you look at a different page, I do recall however that the site was possibly looking to remove this ad at the bottom of the page for " logged In " users, no idea if that's progressing or not.

Personally I'd prefer to pay a small monthly fee, certainly for forums I use a far bit and not be bombarded with all of the ad's, not sure how that sits with the moderators / site owners ?
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

RobL

Link Posted 12/10/2021 - 14:17
I am finding myself visiting the site a bit less recently because the ads are just so damned irritating. I can imagine that the fixed ad promoters like SRS will maybe review whether to carry on here.
Last Edited by RobL on 12/10/2021 - 14:21

rickhanson

Link Posted 12/10/2021 - 14:22
Hi,

We've recently switched to a new AdNetwork and in the process of getting the balance of Adverts right.

Unfortunately no Ads means no site, we ask you kindly to avoid using AdBlockers since this impacts on the revenue we can earn.

We're listening, I've removed the Masthead from individual photos and the main gallery page. I've also put a request into the new AdNetwork to remove the footer banner for logged in users since I have no control of that placement, but please bear with us, since they're in the US and corresponding with them takes a while.

Cheers,

Rick

barkin

Link Posted 12/10/2021 - 14:36
rickhanson wrote:
Hi,

Unfortunately no Ads means no site, we ask you kindly to avoid using AdBlockers

And no users means no site too...

I only resorted to using Ad block Plus because it had become a PITA without. I currently have to go through the cookie/ad preferences every visit too... If it continues like this I probably simply won't bother...I

RobL

Link Posted 12/10/2021 - 16:35
The thing about pop-up ads is nobody with any sense clicks on them, they are irrelevant to the site content and work like scam phone calls - just one response out of hundreds make them the money but to everyone else they are a nuisance and waste of time. OTH targeted relevant ads like SRS must have a much greater take-up, surely that would be the way to go. Not wishing to suggest retail competitors but how about tripod and filter manufacturers etc?

Antony

Link Posted 12/10/2021 - 17:08
Ads? I'm missing something, here! In the gallery there's an ad for SRS to the right, above it there's a blank rectangle with "ezoic" "report this ad" and it's repeated if I scroll down. I turned off the ad blocker, refreshed the page, restarted the PC, logged on -- but no annoying ads! Should I be annoyed at this?

Chrism8

Link Posted 13/10/2021 - 07:06
Thats much better, thanks Rick
Chris

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

rickhanson

Link Posted 13/10/2021 - 08:07
No worries, the footer Ad has been turned off too, until the AdNetwork can ensure that it only shows to logged out users.

Cheers,

Rick

Helpful

JohnX

Link Posted 13/10/2021 - 10:59
Seeing this thread, and the excellent response from the User Team, I've just upgraded to a paying supporter rather than just a signed up one.

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 13/10/2021 - 11:30
JohnX wrote:
Seeing this thread, and the excellent response from the User Team, I've just upgraded to a paying supporter rather than just a signed up one.

Nice one, John, and kudos. Plus, it's not that much to pay either for what we gain from this site, (expertise, some dreadful jokes, fabulous pictures, hands-on reviews, oh, and some dreadful jokes...)
Be well, stay well.
Last Edited by Urbanmeister on 13/10/2021 - 11:30

rickhanson

Link Posted 13/10/2021 - 12:43
JohnX wrote:

Thank you John, much appreciated.

Chrism8

Link Posted 13/10/2021 - 15:04
JohnX wrote:
I've just upgraded to a paying supporter rather than just a signed up one.

Me to, perhaps this should be a little more prominent on the site and if it keeps the ad's at bay then I'm all for it.
Chris

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.