Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Fortnightly Competition # 80 Book / Books

darlene
Posted 03/11/2011 - 04:05 Link
We all have them...... Books I am looking for photos of a book , or books. Your imagination is the limit , photo processing is fine, as long as there is a book or books in the photo.

The usual rules apply. The image has to be taken with a Pentax camera or Samsung DSLR equivalent and be shot within the duration of this competition. Please include camera details and shooting time and date with your image.
The competition will close at 6pm GMT on Wednesday, November 16th 2011
Edited by darlene: 03/11/2011 - 04:13
GlynM
Posted 05/11/2011 - 15:49 Link
Mixed Fiction

Comment Image

A shelf of mixed fiction where L-Space and Jurisfiction combine forces to look after a whole host of characters from Frodo Baggins to Rainbow Six including the odd triffid and Miss Havisham.

A focus stack of 8 shots all taken with a Pentax K-5 and DA35 Macro.
1/20 sec, F7.1 & ISO 200.

All taken on 5th November 2011.

Glyn
Edited by GlynM: 05/11/2011 - 16:32
RPLSF
Posted 06/11/2011 - 02:32 Link
Old Book, Older Words
Comment Image

Now for a little history: This book was gifted to me in 1984 by an elderly, childless widow, which I had adopted as an honorary Grammy. Although it lacks a publishing date, I was told it was a gift from her Grandmother. From what I have researched, SMG produced Bible materials for troops in the Boer War in 1899, and the supply of military items was to become an important part of the mission's work, particularly during the two World Wars. In 1945, the society distributed hundreds of thousands of New Testaments according to the text of the Miniature Bible by Franz Eugen Schlachter to German POWs in English prisons. I assume this addition is from the'40s.:.

Comment Image

Comment Image

EXIF
Model PENTAX K-x
ISO 1600
Exposure 1/30 sec
Aperture 8.0
Focal Length 43mm
Flash Used true
Date and Time (Original) 2011:11:05 18:44:49
Focal Length (in 35mm film) 64
....to capture with my K-x what my eye beholds and my imagination seeks...
geordie01
Posted 14/11/2011 - 23:23 Link
I LOVE BOOKS

Comment Image

K110D
35MM DAL
F/6.3
1.6 sec
ISO 200
Taken today
sandinista
Posted 15/11/2011 - 21:18 Link
Cooking the Books
Comment Image

Taken this evening with my newly acquired SMC DA f2.4 35mm AL

ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds
FNumber - 2.40
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 2500
DateTimeOriginal - 2011:11:15 19:37:15
DateTimeDigitized - 2011:11:15 19:37:15
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 35.00 mm
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Manual
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 52 mm
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

Gear Not enough!!
PPG
Flickr
My not so new website
alexfilipov
Posted 15/11/2011 - 21:50 Link
Auld Lang Syne

A part of my Terry Pratchett collection, including the one-and-only personally signed "Feet Of Clay". A tribute to old IRC EFNET times, with special thanks to Reckless (#bulgaria), Roamer (#mirchelp) and Dimi, who proved that at least one good deed went unpunished...

Comment Image

K-5/FA-50/1.6s/F6.3/ISO160/11.11.11/21:21
'Luck is my middle name,' said Rincewind, indistinctly. 'Mind you, my first name is Bad.'
JudithAnn
Posted 15/11/2011 - 23:24 Link
Never Too Young for Books

Comment Image

Pentax ist D
Focal 33mm
Exposure 1/45
ISO 400
f4.5

Date Taken...Today 15/11 2011
Edited by JudithAnn: 15/11/2011 - 23:36
Woj
Posted 16/11/2011 - 03:33 Link
Light Reading

Comment Image

Pentax K-r, CZJ 135mm f/3.5, 1/60, ISO 400, Date: 03/11/11
Cheers,

WoJ
darlene
Posted 17/11/2011 - 01:32 Link
I would like to thank each one who participated. I have been hoping that the number would start to increase in the fortnights.  I really enjoy the photo comps, so let’s keep going in the right direction, and encourage some of our other members to participate.  

Book/Books

Mixed Fiction  
GlynM

Thanks Glyn for the great splash of colour, you have given me.
Well I ask for books and here is your own personal library, or at least some of it. I can see this library is well used as it is very busy. The books are put wherever there is space.

I like the lighting and lighting is often what makes a photo great.  Your composure is pleasing, and the focus excellent.  The colour just bounces off the photo and it is delightful. 

Old Book,Older Words
RPLSF

I loved the little book. A WOW shot for me

It was great to see the thumb as it let me know just how small this book is. The thumb seemed to belong to a laboring, working person. It suited the book so well as the book also looks well worked and worn. It really made this photo go from a good shot to a great piece of photography.

I think the saturation is heavy , but it bring out all the details , so in this photo it works well for my taste.

I like how you open the book first pages . it made for a nice composure. The focus is wonderfully done. And the black background does keeps your attention on the book and nothing else.

Thanks for taking the time to include the miniature photos. It was fantastic to see the differ angles and show that this book is really tiny.

I am too old to read such a small book!  They don't make bi-focal that strong. Haha. 

I LOVE BOOKS
geordie01

It was clever to do the heart shape pages and I love your creativity.
On the right hand side, I liked how the books edge was so well focused and the light brought out the golden hues. It is attractive. The angle lets the words on the left become blurred. The whole composure and crop made this photo work very well. Using the black backdrop was a great choice as it keep the focus, once again, on the book itself.  Nicely done.

Cooking the Books
sandinista 

A cook book...yummm! I loved angle and composure. The eye is drawn into the photo, however I found no focus point as to where I can stop and rest, so the pictures keeps my eyes roaming all around. I found that a distraction.

The open pages are a wonderful creative idea and of course it shows us that it is a cook book. The deep red background in the upper right hand side is another distraction. It might have been best to have your background solid white or black. You’re right on topic and I found your lighting perfectly done.  Thank you for your entry, always great to see different ideas

Auld Lang Syne
alexfilipov  

The way you allowed the light to fall on the signed book was great. It is the first place my eyes fall when I look at the photo Great, I do find the corner shadow on the page wee bit distracting, (only a bit) ! I liked the way the two center books are in focus, even though the photo is busy, your control on the focus and lighting help it not to be overwhelming.
Thank you for sharing a part of your Terry Pratchett collection, especially when it is so beloved.  

Never Too Young for Books
JudithAnn 

I love children and it always great to see books being introduce at an early age. As you said one is never too young .

The lighting is great, the focus is well done, and the background is not distracting. I am drawn to the baby in your photo, yet my eyes go immediately to what has capture her, THE BOOK.  The photo is warm and inviting.

Light Reading
Woj   

Now that is how my book looks when I come back to pick it up and continue reading it.  The photo captures the pure pleasure of reading.  COZY!!.

The lamp lighting is inviting and the ambulant colour really warms up the photo. The light shining downward really bring out the words in the title.

I really enjoyed the way this photo is cropped.  It is one of those examples of how the angles can take a photo from ordinary and make it great!  The shadowing is very strong, but it also makes it mysterious. The left side of the lamp is very soft and I am not sure if I like that or not?  I would love to see how it feels if it were all sharp.

The photo has a nice creativity to it.  It radiates the feeling of, “I must get back to my book.  Nicely done.

Just a reminder that I am judging and using my experiences, and it is just an opinion, as it comes down to my personal taste on each photo. Here are the winning photos of this fornights Competition.

FIRST PLACE : RPLSF - Old Book , Older Words

SECOND PLACE : Alexfilipov - Auld Lang Syne

THIRD PLACE:  JudithAnn - Never Too Young for Books

Highly Recommended : Geordie01 - I Love Books

Thank You:
Darlene
RPLSF
Posted 17/11/2011 - 02:10 Link
First of all a big thankyou to our judge for the thoughtful critiques, comments, and my first 1st! The picture was a bit oversaturated due to my increasing the shadow, I still have alot to learn about lighting and PP. Congrats to my fellow podium pals, and all who entered, Great shots all around! Hopefully I can do justice to the brilliant judging of the past, and learn alot in the process.

Stay Tunned
....to capture with my K-x what my eye beholds and my imagination seeks...
JudithAnn
Posted 17/11/2011 - 02:49 Link
Wow...Sure am glad I was down to third on the podium, I have been writing about 6+ comments a day on the weekly
I too loved RPLSF book and I thought that Alexfilipov was so well executed...something great in his lighting so congrats to both of you.

Thank you to the judge for your very thoughtful comments.

Regards:
JA

PS...excited to see what our new member has in store for the next comp.
Edited by JudithAnn: 17/11/2011 - 02:50
GlynM
Posted 17/11/2011 - 08:41 Link
Many thanks Darlene for another great competition subject, your excellent set of comments and judging.

Congratulations to RPLSF for a very worthy wining shot plus Alexfilipov, Judith and Geordie01 for being the runners up.

I really liked Judith's shot which I guess is partly because I am a recent grandparent .

It does seem to be a struggle to attract entries for this competition but I really enjoy the challenge of having to produce something within the time-scale so I am certainly keen that we should keep it going.

Well done everybody for another great set of well-crafted interpretations.

Glyn
geordie01
Posted 17/11/2011 - 08:53 Link
Congratulations to the winners and ta to Darlene for the subject,another small entry for this comp but lets try to keep it going as like Glyn i enjoy the challenge and my daughter and partner always take an interest in what the next subject is.
Woj
Posted 17/11/2011 - 13:42 Link
Congrats RPLSF! And thanks Darlene for the reviews/subject for this fortnitght.

There may not be that many entries but it's still great fun and practice. Learn by doing etc etc
Cheers,

WoJ
JudithAnn
Posted 17/11/2011 - 13:46 Link
Yes indeed, lets keep it going. My biggest attraction to the site is doing the Comps. I cannot even begin to share all I have learned because I have gone out, camera in tow, and produced photos for the Comps.

I see a lot of new and different names in the weekly comp this week, sure be nice to attracts a few to the fortnights...I sometimes wonder if the different formatting of pasting from site to site is the deterrent.

Is it possible to have the uploads from ones own computer as we do in the weekly...set up like that? Might help!

Regards:

JA
Edited by JudithAnn: 17/11/2011 - 13:47

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.