EHN! Project

Utopia Poppy
Posted 08/11/2009 - 21:24 Link
Mannesty wrote:

You are wasting your time, Mr. Abbott, disregards other peoples feelings as irrelevant to his ends and the moderators are on his side.

I've had enough of his postings that don't actually invite C&C, but just C(omments) and only positive back slapping ones at that. He doesn't take the C(riticism) part too well.
I've noticed this kind of behaviour too Mannesty, my critiques have been dismissed a couple of times now, and I have started to think I should not comment on paulyrichard's photos.

paulyrichard, in this part of the forum I would imagine it's widely accepted by forum members, that critique of shots is welcomed. If you do not wish to have negative comments made of your photos, I suggest you post them in the Gallery. If the particular shot you have posted in this thread is part of a series of 2, I would have liked to have seen both to get a "feel" of the enviroment as well as the subject, because to me, the shot on it's own looks like it was shot in a studio due to the lack of background.

I will refrain from commenting on any other photos you post as I don't think you take critism well at all.

Fiona
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep". ~Scott Adams

Q | Various Q lenses & filters | KP | 35mm 2.8 Macro
ChrisA
Posted 09/11/2009 - 00:22 Link
Utopia Poppy wrote:
I've noticed this kind of behaviour too Mannesty, my critiques have been dismissed a couple of times now, and I have started to think I should not comment on paulyrichard's photos.
I've stopped too, for the same reason.

Quote:
If you do not wish to have negative comments made of your photos, I suggest you post them in the Gallery.
Actually, I think this is a really good idea in general.

In Paul's case, I think it would much better showcase his undoubted skills, as well as provide a greater coherence for his project, if they were all exhibited online somewhere together, with suitable commentary, rather than being drip-fed into the C&C section.

In which, impressive though many of them are, it does become for me a case of 'yet another B&W portrait', which somewhat reduces the impact.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
johnriley
Posted 09/11/2009 - 08:57 Link
This section is called Your Photos and is provided for members, all members, to present their images. Critique should be respectful, should mention the things we like as well as offering constructive comments on how we think images could be improved.

This advice is given in the guidelines, and suggesting that anyone should post their images elsewhere is outside being respectful and constructive.

For those who wish the Gallery is also provided and the ability to comment and critique is also found there.

The main difference is that here the forum needs to be linked to somewhere that hosts the image, such as Photobucket. In the Gallery you can upload directly from your computer.

These places are provided for us to share and enjoy each others photography. If we don't like an image there are civil ways to say so. Please don't make it a personal comment directed at the photographer.

If ever an image is clearly unsuitable for a mixed age group audience, then that should be marked as Adult and only placed in the gallery, which offers filters. Any inappropriate images can be reported, via PM to a moderator for the quickest response.
Best regards, John
ChrisA
Posted 09/11/2009 - 09:53 Link
johnriley wrote:
The main difference is that here the forum needs to be linked to somewhere that hosts the image, such as Photobucket. In the Gallery you can upload directly from your computer.
Hmm. Two areas, each with the same two functions (showcase, and C&C), the only difference being where the hosting takes place.

This is a consequence of the way 'Your photos' was used for both Showcase and C&C before the Big Forum Change, and then after the BFC, we had the Gallery as well, so now there is twice the scope for confusion. We also have a lot more people passing through, so unwritten conventions are harder to maintain.

It may seem disrespectful to suggest that images should be posted elsewhere, but I really don't think it is - all those of us suggesting this are trying to achieve is a clear distinction between genuine requests for C&C (or other discussion of an image), and an area to showcase what we feel is our best work. Both of these are perfectly worthy objectives.

However, I feel it is disrespectful to react argumentatively to critique that you don't like.

This disrespect should, in my view, be met with equal opprobrium from the powers that be, and this doesn't seem to be the case.

Personally, even though the Gallery is used by people who don't use the Forum, I can see no reason why we shouldn't establish a firm convention here, to use 'Your photos' for C&C, and the Gallery for Showcase.

It's still perfectly possible to post really good pictures for C&C, of course - but at least then there's an understanding that some people may not like them, and still pay you the compliment of taking the trouble to say why.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Edited by ChrisA: 09/11/2009 - 09:57
mikew
Posted 09/11/2009 - 10:03 Link
I am sure this doesn't need to be said but getting feedback from people you respect is invaluable in your own personal development. I know I have had a lot of good advice and help here. I like to get feedback positive and negative as it helps me learn and grow.

As Chris says the gallery is a very effective way to showcase your images when you feel no C&C is appropriate. You will probably get feedback in the form of plaudits rather than C&C which might be what is sought.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
johnriley
Posted 09/11/2009 - 10:43 Link
It's not possible Chris to demand freedoms on the one hand, and plenty of this happens when things get removed, and on the other hand to demand restrictions. What we end up with is just someone else's vision of what should be where.

And what happens when something gets in the "wrong" place?

Just keep an open mind, be civil, enjoy the photography and let's not get bogged down by rules and regulations. If they are granted, one thing for sure is that they are never quite was you expect.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo