EHN! Project

pschlute
Posted 07/11/2009 - 18:54 Link
Teriffic portrait, the eyes ask many questions.
paulyrichard
Posted 07/11/2009 - 19:04 Link
Cheers, Peter.
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
jackitec
Posted 07/11/2009 - 19:37 Link
The photo says it all,

Jack.
paulyrichard
Posted 07/11/2009 - 20:41 Link
Thanks for lookin' and commentin', Jack.

I have found out some valuable information over on another Pentax Forum about alcoholism and its effects. Look at this guys nose and skin, thats caused by drinkin' too much.
Alcohol is a diuretic, which degrades the smoothness and elasticity of the skin, and also dilates blood vessels. Liver damage caused by alcohol is often exhibited by skin blemishes, rosacea, pitting etc.

So now I know.
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
KZ
Posted 07/11/2009 - 21:13 Link
nathanever82 wrote:
I really don't appreciate your avatar. Actually find it very offensive.

As per the photograph, much better than the avatar.
Agreed.
Utopia Poppy
Posted 08/11/2009 - 00:31 Link
Interesting shot. My first question is why is there no background? I would have thought a portrait like this would include some of the surrounding area to put it into context? At least then the photo would tell a fuller story I guess. Also, the popper is a little distracting for me too, and his eyes really don't look in focus compared to his stubble and some areas of skin (maybe this is an "optical illusion" caused by the detail in the stubble/skin?)

Altogether a good shot, definitely suits black and white, although I wonder what a wider view with more of the surroundings would look like?

Fiona
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep". ~Scott Adams

Q | Various Q lenses & filters | KP | 35mm 2.8 Macro
paulyrichard
Posted 08/11/2009 - 08:57 Link
Fiona, with this project I take two photos of the individual. One, a portrait photo and the other an environmental one that shows the context you speak of. Otherwise, these photos are in a context of they're own by a project. Many thanks.

I haven't got around to processin' the environmental one yet.

The jacket snap button comments have been duly noted, and i've 'burned'in the button.
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Edited by paulyrichard: 08/11/2009 - 08:58
Utopia Poppy
Posted 08/11/2009 - 09:36 Link
paulyrichard wrote:

I haven't got around to processin' the environmental one yet.
I'd be interested to see it when you have.

Fiona
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep". ~Scott Adams

Q | Various Q lenses & filters | KP | 35mm 2.8 Macro
Mike-P
Posted 08/11/2009 - 10:06 Link
Excellent gritty picture.
Would remove the stud.
Avatar : Not disagreeable to me in the slightest, it seems to be aimed more at the UK government than anything else anyway.
Prieni
Posted 08/11/2009 - 10:26 Link
Mike-P wrote:

Avatar : Not disagreeable to me in the slightest, it seems to be aimed more at the UK government than anything else anyway.
Silly me, I thought it was the EU flag, not the UK government one...
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
Thordell
Posted 08/11/2009 - 13:20 Link
Prieni wrote:
Mike-P wrote:

Avatar : Not disagreeable to me in the slightest, it seems to be aimed more at the UK government than anything else anyway.
Silly me, I thought it was the EU flag, not the UK government one...
Have to agree this is a defacing of a flag/symbol that means a good deal to many millions of people particularly those from eastern Europe and probably Eire that have seen their lives change beyond measure.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Mannesty
Posted 08/11/2009 - 14:43 Link
Thordell wrote:
Prieni wrote:
Mike-P wrote:

Avatar : Not disagreeable to me in the slightest, it seems to be aimed more at the UK government than anything else anyway.
Silly me, I thought it was the EU flag, not the UK government one...
Have to agree this is a defacing of a flag/symbol that means a good deal to many millions of people particularly those from eastern Europe and probably Eire that have seen their lives change beyond measure.
You are wasting your time, Mr. Abbott, disregards other peoples feelings as irrelevant to his ends and the moderators are on his side.

I've had enough of his postings that don't actually invite C&C, but just C(omments) and only positive back slapping ones at that. He doesn't take the C(riticism) part too well.

The fact that the moderators have not insisted he change his avatar says something about the changing attitudes of this forum.

If nothing is done about it very soon, I'll be joining Gwyn and others who have left for similar reasons.

Threads of a political nature have recently been removed from this forum yet his avatar remains. Why ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

This is a photography forum, more specifically, a Pentax forum. Why are obvious politically motivated statements like his avatar not dealt with as sternly as Amin seems to have been. ? ? ? ? ?

I suggest all those that object should send all of the admins a pm stating as much.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 08/11/2009 - 14:45
johnriley
Posted 08/11/2009 - 16:40 Link
Quote:
the moderators are on his side.
For a start, this is totally untrue. The moderators are on no side, we just moderate. Sometimes it's liked, sometimes not, but we do at least have all the information, not just some of it.

Now I'm back in I'm looking into all this and we'll see where we go shortly. In the emeantime, we are fully aware of all the points of view that have already expressed and will be looking at these totally impartially over the next hours or whatever it takes.

I'll let you know the outcome.
Best regards, John
Mannesty
Posted 08/11/2009 - 17:08 Link
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
the moderators are on his side.
For a start, this is totally untrue. The moderators are on no side, we just moderate. Sometimes it's liked, sometimes not, but we do at least have all the information, not just some of it.

Now I'm back in I'm looking into all this and we'll see where we go shortly. In the emeantime, we are fully aware of all the points of view that have already expressed and will be looking at these totally impartially over the next hours or whatever it takes.

I'll let you know the outcome.
I realised my comment was perhaps inaccurate but when I came to edit it, I couldn't because another forum rule prevented me from doing so.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Thordell
Posted 08/11/2009 - 17:12 Link
It is good to hear that the moderators are giving consideration to this, I too feel it is or could be offensive or even hurtful to others although I accept it is an expression on Paul’s political feelings a photographic forum that is frequented by people from around the world is not the place to make his personal political feeling felt.

I would go further to say for one who expresses a feeling for the underprivileged it is a bit surprising that he should choose to deface this emblem that in all probability would mean a good deal to those very underprivileged people he cares about, may be not in the UK but in other parts of Europe
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Edited by Thordell: 08/11/2009 - 17:16

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo