Do folk use a compact or CSC with their DSLR?

Simonmac

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 15:06
Hi all

I just wondered if anyone sees a benefit from having a compact or CSC for when a DSLR is a bit too much?!

Conversely, I have bought a number of lenses for my IIs: 12-24, 18-135, 35 2.4, Tammy 90 2.8 and Tammy 17-50 2.8. I find that I use all of them- would another prime be worthwhile? I shoot in the city mainly.

Cheers

Mac
macmccreery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/simac/
www.500px.com/simac
Last Edited by Simonmac on 21/04/2014 - 15:07

johnriley

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 15:12
The DSLR is my camera of choice when heading off for photography, the compact is something to carry always as photo opportunities are always around. It's not always appropriate to carry the Hadley Pro.

However, I don't carry a mass of lenses and I think many people actually carry far too much, which may be why they sometimes yearn for smaller kit.
Best regards, John

Helpful

JonSchick

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 15:47
I'm not keen on the idea of running two systems, and don't see CSCs as an addition to dSLR - more of a replacement if they happen to be better suited for what you need. When I use the SLR, it's unlikely that I will venture out with more than one lens on the front and two in my pockets (or bag). For other occasions I have the MX-1, which is a great compact solution which offers decent image quality and plenty of flexibility, and a Fuji X100, which offers a very different experience than either of the other two - and is actually my camera of choice unless I need to use one of the others.

Helpful

Simonmac

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 15:54
I do cater the lenses for the situation (or at least try too!). And I find the Pentax easier to handle since I bought a silicon strap. I am just curious....Shooting in a City I do find zooms easier. But I do love to go out with the 35 2.4 and use my feet.

Mac
johnriley wrote:
The DSLR is my camera of choice when heading off for photography, the compact is something to carry always as photo opportunities are always around. It's not always appropriate to carry the Hadley Pro.

However, I don't carry a mass of lenses and I think many people actually carry far too much, which may be why they sometimes yearn for smaller kit.

macmccreery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/simac/
www.500px.com/simac

dangie

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 16:40
When I go out with the intention to take pictures I'll take the K-5. All other times I take either the Panasonic LX7 or TZ7 compact.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner

Helpful

johnriley

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 16:45
I think there are two different requirements here. Firstly the choice we make when there's a job to be done and that dictates the kit. Then there's the choice when we just want to play, and then anything we fancy goes, for whatever reason.
Best regards, John

TonyM

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 16:49
I've had a Sony RX100 for several months now and it is excellent for when I'm out with the family etc. and want to be able to take high quality photos. It only covers about 50% of the shooting capability of the K5 (mainly FL and dof limitations), but I can - literally - put it in my jeans pocket.

Tony

Helpful

gartmore

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 17:35
DSLR for work, Q for holidays
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Helpful

dougf8

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 18:11
I carry and use the K5 if I have the space and time.

If not I carry a Canon S95. Marginally better images than a P&S camera.

And in between I borrow the wife's Sony Nex5.

The Nex5 is not up to the K5 but has excellent AF. Might get a 30mm macro lens for it. The Nex in its bag is about 1/4 of the bulk of the K kit I carry.

Best pics come out if the K5.
Lurking is shirking.!

Helpful

MattyH

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 18:45
About half a dozen Ricoh Gr film and digital compacts, fujifilm x100s and Pentax MX-1 but not all at the same time I must add
My wife has taken over my Q system I am afraid and I am in now in the process myself of down sizing my Dslr kit so it all fits in one billingham bag.

Helpful

judderman62

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 19:00
My micro four thirds cam sees barely any use.. to the point I have occasionally pondered selling it. If I want to travel fairly light I'll take My canon 500D with kit lens - it's pretty light and quite small and the difference between it and the Panasonic, whilst noticeable, isn't massive.

If I want to travel lighter still I have the Fuji XF-1.

Otherwise it's the K5 11 and sometimes supplemented by the K5
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

Helpful

PeterKR

Link Posted 21/04/2014 - 19:32
dangie wrote:
When I go out with the intention to take pictures I'll take the K-5. All other times I take either the Panasonic LX7 or TZ7 compact.

Likewise, except that in my case it's the K-r or the Canon S90.

Having said that, since it is so small and light (and takes superb photos !) the S90 usually goes along as well as the K-r !

Peter

Helpful

Darstadlydarcey

Link Posted 23/04/2014 - 22:19
TonyM wrote:
I've had a Sony RX100 for several months now and it is excellent for when I'm out with the family etc. and want to be able to take high quality photos. It only covers about 50% of the shooting capability of the K5 (mainly FL and dof limitations), but I can - literally - put it in my jeans pocket.

Tony

Would agree . I have the Sony rx100-2 , a great pocket take around camera .
Pentax K50,FA 35 2.0,FA 50 1.4, DA 18-135 WR, Sony RX100 2, Manfrotto bits...

Helpful

johnha

Link Posted 23/04/2014 - 23:27
A couple of years ago I went looking for a CSC. I'd been away from photography for several years and went looking for a small, feature packed and versatile camera. After looking at various CSC options (and additional/expensive EVFs) I ended up with a K-5. It's hardy much bigger than a CSC and suits me much better.

I have an MX-1 which covers all my needs when I want a small camera, and I use with the K-5 if I have a long lens attached to it (airshows etc.).

Although CSCs are slightly smaller cameras than Pentax DSLRs(the lenses are often similar sizes), they only really better a compact if you carry more than one lens. In which case they still need to go into the same bag that my K-5 (or 35mm film) kit has to go into so there's not much point (for me) in a slightly smaller and less capable camera.
PPG Flickr

Helpful

ISO

Link Posted 24/04/2014 - 18:39
Still contemplating buying a Q next year - surely with the Adapter you can have the best of both worlds
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.