Do folk use a compact or CSC with their DSLR?

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 24/04/2014 - 19:50
A traditional compact camera should be able to fit in a pocket or be comfortably clipped to a belt. I use a Ricoh CX5 which is pretty good but obviously not in the same league as an MX1 (nor should it be as it's four times less expensive).

I've an Olympus EPL1, an original micro four thirds effort with a 12mp sensor and a retractable lens. Lacking a viewfinder, it's very difficult to use in bright light and the overall handling is very awkward compared to a DSLR but the exposure is spot on as is the focusing. The colours are wonderful and the JPEGS have to be seen to be believed. (Goodness knows what the company's latest offerings are capable of.)

I don't use it as much as I should despite its light weight and compact dimensions, because the user experience is not, in my opinion, a good one. There's a delight in using my K10 0r K100 with which the CSC can't compete.

I'm saving hard for an MX1 before they all disappear... but unexpected expenses keep cropping up.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Helpful

judderman62

Link Posted 24/04/2014 - 20:57
johnha wrote:
and less capable camera.

I suspect a lot of CSC users would disagree most strongly with that sentiment ... and on looking at Models like the Olympus OM cameras, some of the "more serious" panasonic models and very definitely some of the Fuji models I think I would agree with them.

Have to admit the Olympus's (Olympii ? what is the plural ?) and Fuji's do interest me
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

Helpful

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 24/04/2014 - 21:01
I so agree with your comments Andrew, especially about the sense of delight when using a traditional SLR.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

cedricd

Link Posted 25/04/2014 - 20:01
I wish Pentax were still in bed with Samsung. Reason, I use a NX300 alongside either a K30 or K3 and the IQ of all three leaves me happy. Pentax are moving on now thanks to Ricoh but I suppose they have a lot to catch up on outside the DSLR market it`s important to me to be able to make intant connections and Pentax aren`t there. Yes, the GR is good but it`s years behind. I also use a waterproof compact when the weather is really bad or for rock pooling/canoeing. For day to day carrying about at work its a Pentax X5 which sits besides me on the passenger seat.
Enjoy life
Last Edited by cedricd on 25/04/2014 - 20:05

Epithet Man

Link Posted 25/04/2014 - 20:24
A couple of yewars ago I sold all of my (Pentax) camera kit during a bout of depression. I soon regretted this and bought a Canon S100 to carry around with me for when photo opportunities arose (my phone camera is a waste of time and the phone refuses to die so I'm stuck with it).

Missed my K10D so bought one second hand and a couple of lenses.

Got a Fujifilm X100s late last year. This is a great camera and I like the experience of using it, the lovely build and the leaf shutter.

I was contemplating the Fujifilm X-T1 but settled on a second hand K5ii as I already had some lenses. Still getting used to the handling and struggling to get my DA*50-135 to autofocus properly, but overall it is looking very promising, particularly the performance in low light.

So S100 for a true pocket camera. X100s for a different (but enjoyable) experience (and great out-of-camera JPEGs) and the K5ii for everything else (mainly portraits of the children).

EM

PS have a small reasonably indestructible Pentax WG10 that the children use.

macabee

Link Posted 26/04/2014 - 07:08
I use my K5 for most of my 'Walking' photography as I live near the coast and I appreciate the weatherproof qualities of K5 and 18-135 DA lens.

However I increasingly use my Fuji X-Pro1 camera for a lot of indoor photography as it is comparatively inconspicuous, also the Fujinon lens are IMO truly excellent lenses some of the best I have ever used.

Smeggypants

Link Posted 26/04/2014 - 07:43
K-5 for blatant acts of decadent unashamed orgies of shooting.

For other times I either use my little Sony TX-5 or Nokia 808.

The beauty of the Nokia is that becuase it's a Mobile Phone IO can take pics in situations, like shops, were Snappin away with an obvisoul camera would be frowned upon in this paranoid day and age.

I didn't think twioce about taking an SLR into a shop and snapping in the 80s. No one worried about it.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

ronniemac

Link Posted 26/04/2014 - 15:04
I always have the 41mp Nokia 1020 camera in my pocket, and fix the grip when I think I might be taking photies but can't take the K-5. The grip is fantastic, with additional battery, shutter button in the correct place, and a thread for stand (never used this yet). Because I would be carrying a phone anyway, the 1020 itself is no additional load, and sometimes the results are incredibly good for a mobile.

However, all this could change; I've just joined the Q club, delivery next week.

Ha! I see you posted as I was writing, Smeggy. In fact, it was a photie which you posted which got me looking for the Nokia. For that, very many thanks!
Last Edited by ronniemac on 26/04/2014 - 15:07

Smeggypants

Link Posted 26/04/2014 - 23:15
ronniemac wrote:
I always have the 41mp Nokia 1020 camera in my pocket, and fix the grip when I think I might be taking photies but can't take the K-5. The grip is fantastic, with additional battery, shutter button in the correct place, and a thread for stand (never used this yet). Because I would be carrying a phone anyway, the 1020 itself is no additional load, and sometimes the results are incredibly good for a mobile.

However, all this could change; I've just joined the Q club, delivery next week.

Ha! I see you posted as I was writing, Smeggy. In fact, it was a photie which you posted which got me looking for the Nokia. For that, very many thanks!

No probs. I'm actually thinking of modifying my 808 to improve the shutter button in some way, it really is that awful.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.