Discussion weekly comp #185 Children at Work or Play.

robbie_d

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 14:32
Blythman wrote:
Did I say I had grounds? Surely, I'm allowed an opinion.

I'm not disputing that you have a right to an opinion, if you read my post you'll see that.

I'm asking that if you "don't want strangers taking candids of my grand-daughter in public places", what grounds you have to stop them?
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 24/01/2011 - 14:32

Blythman

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 14:34
Potentially no grounds. What has that got to do with what I want and don't want?
Anyway Ken has started another thread which you have already posted on, so why not take it there instead of us clogging this one up
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by Blythman on 24/01/2011 - 14:37

thoughton

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 14:37
Robbie, while I don't have a problem with the new terse and forthright Robbie we've seen here in the last few months, you are being a bit needlessly argumentative here. If you were taking photos of a stranger's kids in a park, how do you think they would stop you? They wouldn't need grounds, if they were a bit of a hard case they'd come over and punch you in the gob, and if they weren't they'd call the police and report you as a paedophile. Either way you'll stop taking photographs. No grounds needed.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 24/01/2011 - 14:38

robbie_d

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 14:39
Blythman wrote:
Potentially no grounds. What has that got to do with what I want and don't want?

Well it helps indicate whether what you want or don't want is reasonable or not.

As things stand (and hopefully will continue to stand), no offence is being committed when people take photographs in public (broadly speaking), and I guess it's a case of if you don't like the rules, don't go out in public.

Apparently.

robbie_d

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 14:43
thoughton wrote:
Robbie, while I don't have a problem with the new terse and forthright Robbie we've seen here in the last few months, you are being a bit needlessly argumentative here. If you were taking photos of a stranger's kids in a park, how do you think they would stop you? They wouldn't need grounds, if they were a bit of a hard case they'd come over and punch you in the gob, and if they weren't they'd call the police and report you as a paedophile. Either way you'll stop taking photographs. No grounds needed.

So justifying assault and slander as a means of preventing someone conducting themselves in a perfectly legal manner in public.

Tim, you highlight the very core of the problem here. Scaremongering committed by the authorities and the media has got everyone (even people on a photography forum) accepting the fact that people with a camera in public are paedophiles. And rather than stand up and say this is ridiculous, people just sit down and accept the erosion of their liberty.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 24/01/2011 - 14:44

robbie_d

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 14:43
Blythman wrote:
Anyway Ken has started another thread which you have already posted on, so why not take it there instead of us clogging this one up

Touche.

Apparently.

thoughton

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 14:50
robbie_d wrote:
And rather than stand up and say this is ridiculous, people just sit down and accept the erosion of their liberty.

These are fine words, and in principle I completely agree. I however am not willing to be the subject of a formal police investigation as an alleged paedophile. Perhaps you would be willing to do so in order to stand up for your principles?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 24/01/2011 - 14:50

robbie_d

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 15:00
thoughton wrote:
robbie_d wrote:
And rather than stand up and say this is ridiculous, people just sit down and accept the erosion of their liberty.

These are fine words, and in principle I completely agree. I however am not willing to be the subject of a formal police investigation as an alleged paedophile. Perhaps you would be willing to do so in order to stand up for your principles?

Not out of choice, but I won't change my behaviour to appease the Daily Mail brigade and their "protection" of the country.

Apparently.

thoughton

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 15:06
Just to recap our conversation by PM, and so people don't think I'm ignoring your latest post I completely agree with you in principle, but I - like many other people on this forum - simply cannot run the risk of even a completely false allegation. The time it would take to clear our names would be disastrous, we would be risking jobs and friends, and there will always be those who will remain suspicious.

As I said in my PM, if I was young free and single I might feel differently (a bit braver ), but I have a wife and kids to think of.
Tim
Last Edited by thoughton on 24/01/2011 - 15:08

robbie_d

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 15:14
thoughton wrote:
Just to recap our conversation by PM, and so people don't think I'm ignoring your latest post I completely agree with you in principle, but I - like many other people on this forum - simply cannot run the risk of even a completely false allegation. The time it would take to clear our names would be disastrous, we would be risking jobs and friends, and there will always be those who will remain suspicious.

As I said in my PM, if I was young free and single I might feel differently (a bit braver ), but I have a wife and kids to think of.

And to recap my bit of the PM, I understand exactly where you're coming from (as I explained). I'm just sad that this is what the situation has become and that people are perpetuating it with their behaviour.

Remember that picture recently of the child being rescued from the ruins caused by an earthquake. Wouldn't it be sad if that image had been lost to time because the photographer was busy getting a permission slip signed by the parents.

(Before anyone says it, I realise the saddest thing is that the earthquake happened in the first place)

Apparently.

johnriley

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 15:32
Yes, you are indeed allowed an opinion. If you said no when you were the adult in charge, then the answer is no.
Best regards, John

johnriley

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 15:45
Clearly an emotive subject, and an important one, perhaps better discussed in the other thread so it's all in one place.

Here we should really be discussing the competition, the pictures so far really being pretty harmless, which is what we might expect.

However, all are entitled to an opinion.
Best regards, John

robbie_d

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 15:54
Well as far as the competition goes, I may try and enter if my first arrives in time!

Apparently.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 17:12
Hopefully the debate will at least have stirred up some interest in the competition!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

darkskies

Link Posted 24/01/2011 - 17:43
DrOrloff wrote:
Very good, challenging subject.

Especially for people without kids!
This space deliberately left blank.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.