Supplementary: Weekly Competition #186 Black & White Landscapes

DrOrloff

Link Posted 01/02/2011 - 20:50
Hi all,

I can't look in on the discussion thread, so I would just like to request that entries to the black and white landscapes competition should be black and white and landscapes and taken with a Pentax camera. Sorry, but I can't consider photos that don't match these criteria.

I hope you consider this reasonable.

Thanks,
O
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 01/02/2011 - 20:53

gunner

Link Posted 01/02/2011 - 21:58
Someone has asked about cityscapes, I assumed these counted...?

davidtrout

Link Posted 01/02/2011 - 23:19
I asked about cityscapes, but this competition is about landscapes, so I entered one of those instead. The next person to win could always choose cityscapes as a subject if that's what people want? For this competition we should do what Dr Orloff says on the tin.
David.
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 01/02/2011 - 23:20

geordie01

Link Posted 01/02/2011 - 23:29
i tried to upload an image tonight of a sand dune but the site would not let me and i promise you can't see the sea
will try again the morn

gunner

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 08:27
My point was that cityscapes are just a subdivision of landscapes, rather than a separate category. More than happy to stick to the category, just looking for clarification.

gunner

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 08:29
...in the same way that the clarification was given on seascapes.

gartmore

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 08:50
DrOrloff wrote:
Hi all,

I can't look in on the discussion thread, so I would just like to request that entries to the black and white landscapes competition should be black and white and landscapes and taken with a Pentax camera. Sorry, but I can't consider photos that don't match these criteria.

I hope you consider this reasonable.

Thanks,
O

Totally reasonable, I've deleted for non-Pentax entries.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

gartmore

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 08:51
gunner wrote:

And clarification was given on the use of Pentax cameras too.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

gunner

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 09:16
gartmore wrote:
gunner wrote:

And clarification was given on the use of Pentax cameras too.

Its a fair cop! Should have checked which camera I had with me that day.

Still, fair point on the cityscapes?

johnriley

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 16:17
I think we all know what a landscape is...if in doubt check out a dictionary or Wikipedia. I wonder what it say?
Best regards, John

darkskies

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 16:26
I'm not sure everyone does, John.
This space deliberately left blank.

gunner

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 16:30
Seems perfectly reasonable to ask for clarification when the question has been asked.

johnriley

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 16:39
Wkipedia has this to say:
Quote:
Landscape comprises the visible features of an area of land, including the physical elements of landforms, water bodies such as rivers, lakes and the sea, living elements of land cover including indigenous vegetation, human elements including land uses, buildings and structures, and transitory elements such as lighting and weather conditions.

Combining both their physical origins and the cultural overlay of human presence, often created over millennia, landscapes reflect the living synthesis of people and place vital to local and national identity. Landscapes, their character and quality, help define the self image of a region, its sense of place that differentiates it from other regions. It is the dynamic backdrop to people’s lives.

The Earth has a vast range of landscapes including the icy landscapes of polar regions, mountainous landscapes, vast arid desert landscapes, islands and coastal landscapes, densely forested or wooded landscapes including past boreal forests and tropical rainforests, and agricultural landscapes of temperate and tropical regions.

although in this case the judge has specifically excluded seascapes.
Best regards, John

gunner

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 17:00
Happy with the definition John, just seemed sensible to ask for clarification when another member had questioned it.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.