Entries Fortnightly Competition #59 - SNOW & COLD

darlene

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 17:53
Rules are the same, pictures must be taken between now Jan. 8th and Jan. 22,2011 That is two weeks . Ends at 6pm British time. Must be taken on pentax cameras or samsung. " Snow " as long as there is snow it counts. OK must enlarge my subject for our Eastern friends winter, cold. hope that makes it more open.
Last Edited by darlene on 08/01/2011 - 18:07

darlene

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 23:20
Update:

In light of the fact that we DO have members that are in the summer time season, I have expanded my topic to include the word "COLD". So you can indeed take a picture of snow, but you can also take a picture that reflects the word "COLD". I look forward to seeing what you all have.

Put on your thinking caps, have fun and enjoy!
Last Edited by darlene on 08/01/2011 - 23:21

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 10/01/2011 - 19:34
Is this cold enough?

My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

darlene

Link Posted 10/01/2011 - 22:00
We are going to keep this comp. Wednesday to Wednesday so in say that it will close on the 19th of Jan instead of Jan.22nd. As was first stated. Hope this doesn't cause a problem.

JudithAnn

Link Posted 14/01/2011 - 19:41
Inside My Freezer!!!

Okay, I did it. I found something to photograph that could be in anyone's place...summer or winter. I have just come through three winter blizzards...and had plenty of choices...but to help inspire others I wanted something that could have come from anyone, anywhere.

The photo is the inside of an ice cream bucket cover...and the ice crystals that have formed there. I also used my new (to me) K10d camera. The date attached is wrong...I have not yet re-programed my camera(Just got it in the mail yesterday)...This picture was taken 5 minutes ago.

DATA:
Pentax K10d
Date: Jan 14th 2011
Flashed : not used
Exposure time .125s (1/
Manual
Extension tube
Lens: Helios-44-
https://www.jastandringphotos.com

DrOrloff

Link Posted 14/01/2011 - 20:03
The lunar surface at night, -150C. Brrrrrrrr.

Tonight.
K5
A telescope.
Some bits in between.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 14/01/2011 - 20:04

sandinista

Link Posted 17/01/2011 - 09:59
Frozen Peas

Taken last night Sunday 16th Jan '11
Pentax K-x
Aperture Priority
F No 2.8
ISO 400
FL 100mm
1/10th sec
D FA M 100mm F2.8
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

PPG
Gear Not enough!!

Flickr
My not so new website

aliengrove

Link Posted 17/01/2011 - 13:33
Cold Valley

A valley in Turkey from 32000 feet.

Taken 15/01/11
Pentax K7
ISO 200
Sigma 18-250
f16
1/60th sec.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

GlynM

Link Posted 19/01/2011 - 11:25
Frosty Car

Struggling a bit with this subject but today, just in time, we had a frosty morning and I had to scrape the car .

Pentax K-7 with DA*16-50 @ 16mm
1/4 sec, F11 & ISO 200
Taken on 19/01/11 at around 10:10am

Glyn

Edit to correct usual typos
Last Edited by GlynM on 19/01/2011 - 11:27

darlene

Link Posted 19/01/2011 - 18:44
Competition is closed.

Judging is underway.

darlene

Link Posted 19/01/2011 - 21:56
First I would like to say thank you all for submitting a photo.

I see it was quite a challenge, but the faithful has come through the cold competition.
I will do my best, giving my honest opinion based on the knowledge I have thus far.(I am still learning)

Steve Everitt - Is that cold enough?
Thank you for your photo ,Yes it is cold enough!

I sent Steve a personal e-mail letting him know it was a great picture.
It could not be in the competition as the time & date was not within the alotted two week period.
Again Steve, thank you for the first picture.

JudithAnn - Inside my freezer.
Lots of detail in those ice cystal, with a specific depth of field.
You made yourself quite a challange having three winter blizzard, then using the freezer.
Thanks for your efforts in inspiring others.

DR. Orloff - The lunar surface at night -150(THAT COVERS COLD!)
Wow, love the detailed surface. It does have its own stunning effect.
The shadow and light gave it an incredible cold and barren look. The photo was very soft however.

It was a creative take on the "Cold topic". (it was nice that anyone, anywhere could have done this too...summer or winter!)

I have yet to capture the moon...like that!

Sandinista - Frozen Peas
This is great ,love the depth of field. The peas are crips and clear capturung the frost in detail.They do look cold!
Maybe it would be better if the black space was all filled in with the peas, or you cropped it out.

Never the less I like the picture. Well done.

Aliengrove - Cold Valley
Love the angle of this photo!!The way it is looking down in the valley, with great depth of field. The eyes seeing the vastness of the great beyond.
It is a little washout in the center left side. But then again, you are up 32000 feet!
Great shades of blues, whites, and grays.
When the photo is enlarged, one can see the amazing details and it was even more fantastic! It was right on the topic, and what I was wanting.

GlynM - Frosty car

Hey this is great! Absolutely loved it.
It was a perfect choice to use B&W. I loved its clearity and that it had no distaction of colour. Shows the cold in its simple but true form.
Great angle! Great orginal idea!
Funny for us Canadians to see the wheel peeking out on the left side.
Wonderful piece of photography!!

Now the result;

First place: GlynM - Frosty car

Second place: Aliengrove - Cold Valley

Third place Sandinista - Frozen Peas

Commended:
Dr. Orloff
JudithAnn

Now over to you Aliengrove.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 19/01/2011 - 22:22
Congratulations to GlynM (I think) et al.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

sandinista

Link Posted 19/01/2011 - 22:29
Well done Glyn on 1st place(I think) and Aliengrove. Thanks for setting the comp and judging Darlene
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

PPG
Gear Not enough!!

Flickr
My not so new website

GlynM

Link Posted 19/01/2011 - 22:52
Gosh, what a surprise. I had Aliengrove's cold valley as my winning entry. However many thanks Darlene for your great set of comments, judging and, of course for giving my last minute entry the winning slot.

I also have to add my humble thanks for the excellent way you handled my rather grumpy comments about the choice of subject at the start of the competition.

Rather unexpectedly the choice of a new subject is mine now. I will have a think about it overnight and set a new challenge tomorrow.

Glyn

aliengrove

Link Posted 20/01/2011 - 10:55
Well done, Glyn and Sandinista on getting third place. And thanks for the second place Darlene I was lucky the weather was clear enough to get that shot our I would have been digging through the freezer!
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.