Discussion weekly comp #185 Children at Work or Play.

TOZZA27

Link Posted 26/01/2011 - 17:49
Ha Ha TT - good money in chimney sweeping and as long as you tie a rope to the little anklebiters , little chance of them falling off the roof at the top !!

More enterprise will get this country back on its feet again I say !!

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 26/01/2011 - 18:54
thoughton wrote:
Pentaxophile wrote:
They're all good, but there's one absolute belter! Takes me back to my own childhood

That'll be the baby with the champagne then?

Nope, I meant the little girl dressed up like a princess
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 26/01/2011 - 18:55
bforbes wrote:
David, I think this is Darlene's definition of work - " by "work" I mean children doing tasks such as reading, colouring, cooking...ect. We all know what play is."

Yes we must not distract them while they are doing real work. Productivity and workmanship may suffer.

JudithAnn

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 15:41
Okay boys, take a look at my entry.
It really is a child working. He collects the eggs, water the chickens and at night shuts up the coop to keep out the fox. It is not a child being exploited, rather a child being taught the responsibility of sharing a the work on a family farm.

I know that the cultures from country to country can be different...so let me ask you..... as children did you have chores, or work, that you were required to do?

We considerate it character building to have our children help with household chores, such as making beds, helping with dishes, taking out the trash...in the winter, help with shoveling, piling up wood for the stove. In the kitchen we also teach them to make a meal and to bake and to learn their way around food.

So it is not so off for Darlene to included the word "work". In Newfoundland where she lives, youngster also help in fishing season, squid season, lobster season, and are delighted to be included in these things. In Newfoundland fishing and hunting license can be bought as family packages!

I would believe that what she did not want was for someone to post a picture of a child working in horrid condition...chained to a table or some sad sight one might see in a National Geographic Magazine story on child labour. We know that there are some very horrible things that are out there, being done to children...I think she was just trying to clarify that line, or a least that what I understood.

I am interested, to know if the children of the UK are given tasks to do, such as the kind of chores I have spoken of?

Nice set of photo going up....some of them are incredible! I too have picked the winner...and we are only half way there!

johnriley

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 16:01
Some chores are a good thing, as long as there's time left to actually be a child for a while.

Work could include studying....
Best regards, John

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 16:14
I think there's a bit of 'dark British humour' in this thread which has passed you by, Judith Ann!

Of course chores are good for kids. I used to help look after an elderly neighbour's garden, and loved it. I also used to have to help (occasionally) at my Granddad's farm. I am sure many kids still have their chores, but you get a sense sometimes that there is more tendency to let them just 'do their own thing' these days.

Or at least that's the impression I get watching 'Supernanny' and 'Wife Swap'

JudithAnn

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 17:32
Pentaxophile wrote:
I think there's a bit of 'dark British humour' in this thread which has passed you by, Judith Ann!

Of course chores are good for kids. I used to help look after an elderly neighbour's garden, and loved it. I also used to have to help (occasionally) at my Granddad's farm. I am sure many kids still have their chores, but you get a sense sometimes that there is more tendency to let them just 'do their own thing' these days.

Or at least that's the impression I get watching 'Supernanny' and 'Wife Swap'

Ohhh...well now, I am so relieved

I really thougth Davidtrout was serious.
johnriley wrote:
Some chores are a good thing, as long as there's time left to actually be a child for a while.

Gee John, are you kidding too??? Cause I can assure you that the child with chores, would have TONS of time to be a child, and play. The little fellow in my photo is free all day long. Just collect the eggs....put water in a bucket, and lock the door after supper. Just a right amount for a 7 year old, I'd say.

I thought Pentaxophile reminiscing of his childhood days of gardening and on the farm was real nice.

I do agree with him that in our faster pace of social structure, that many children "do their own thing', studies have show that larger inner city areas, children are very over scheduled with extra curricular activities, with very little free play time left, activities such as sports, music, clubs and so on. Another social concern we hear is kiddies spending mass amounts of time with the TV and video games. It might be that the child with home chores and lots of free play time will come with the bigger smile and a happy soul ..Just look at the little lad with his fish in this weeks comp!

In conclusion...I will admitted I am in a changing world of "children and parentng". I must also admitt I did miss the 'dark British humour'

Regards, Judithann

Don

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 17:37
johnriley wrote:

I like to blur the line between playing and teaching.
My boy and I blew up some baking soda and vinegar rockets in the bathroom the other day.
Wife not impressed.

Boy came back today asking why vinegar doesn't burn your skin, but he remembers acids, bases and thier reactions, he also remembered the gas produced is co2.....
not bad for a first grader...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 27/01/2011 - 17:38

JudithAnn

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 17:46
Not bad for a first grader??... are you kidding. WOW, He is a genius, to understand and think about acids, bases and their reactions.

First Grade!!! I think they are born smarter now!

He can call me Auntie if he likes
Last Edited by JudithAnn on 27/01/2011 - 17:46

VonBatCat

Link Posted 27/01/2011 - 20:34
johnriley wrote:

Sorry..... just can't resist the urge......... to fall into old British humour...... to type.

Hi John "What Chores"

John (VonBatCat)

Rule of Thirds - I don't do fractions
link]Other Stuff
VonBatCat.Com

Belinda B.

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 14:02
It is getting very boring having to spend so much time trying to upload an image and failing each time.

Have received no reply to my message from Admin.
Belinda B.

johnriley

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 15:09
Is the image very large? I'm having no problem uploading to the Gallery or competitions.

Sorry IT have not responded yet, but they have their hands full at the moment getting EPZ back up to speed after the upgrade.
Best regards, John

Belinda B.

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 13:12
I have heard from Admin. who say that the problem is now solved, but I still can't upload my photograph.

File size is now down to 2.1mb.

I have checked and Hyram's entry to the same competition is 7.8mb, so I don't think that file size is the issue.

Running out of ideas
Belinda B.

johnriley

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 13:27
Try this spec:

1000 pixels on logest side
sRGB
72ppi
JPEG
File size 400K or less, at least 200K though.

That should upload in seconds and there will be no loss in quality compared to the huge files you are currently uploading.

As for a 7.8MB file, that's total overkill....
Best regards, John

Belinda B.

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 13:53
Thank you very much John.

I have used those settings and it worked correctly.

Should I always create a Save for Web version using those settings
Belinda B.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.