DA 560mm

froeschle

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 15:02
Pentax 100 SDUF II (3000$, apochromat, 4 lenses, SD glass, SMC, illuminates up to 67) together with 560/5.6 (7000$):
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-news-rumors/140397d1347526...

Discussion: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/173969-pentax-560mm-59.htm...

Mike-P

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 15:19
gartmore wrote:
I think we should change the name of this forum to Pentaxmoaner.co.uk

I don't think it's just this forum.

You should see the comments on others about the pricing of the new Nikon D600
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Blythman

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 16:38
Just as well some people are moaning. If there was just the "happy brigade" Pentax wouldn't need to bother developing anything.

Who needs autofucus - use your old manual focus lenses.
Who wants weather proofing - use a bag.
Who wants faster read speed on memory cards - just slow down, take it easy
Who wants long lenses - you don't need long lenses for wildlife
Who wants SDM to work all the time - just send it for repair. Its worth it
Who wants low light autofocus - use a torch, or refer to the first point
Who wants focus adjustment - stop pixel peeping

We all have different needs and wants. I want something that autofocuses fast that is good for wildlife. I don't want to go to Canon or Nikon, as I don't want to use two systems.

If the K5II is fast (only time will tell) then I may buy a Sigma 300mm f2.8. If it isn't I may buy into Nikon or Canon and get the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 which is a better lens anyway
Alan

PPG
Flickr

giofi

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 19:50
I guess that everything being equal, Pentax lenses must cost more than larger manufacturers'. Sales volumes are much smaller, so development costs for instance need to be amortised on fewer lenses.

I also think it is natural that initial pricing is steeper, availability might be lower and first buyers will be ready to pay a premium. Later price will decrease and will attract also those who are not ready to pay a premium.

IMHO this is a sound approach, and we should be happy if Pentax adds long lenses and can make a good profit out of them. That means more research and development, more cameras, more lenses......
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

froeschle

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 20:43
Quote:

The D600 might be overpriced by several 100s, the 560/5.6 is overpriced by several 1000s.
Quote:
I guess that everything being equal

Which is not true at all, as the Pentax lens design is definitely simpler.

giofi

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 21:15
froeschle wrote:

Quote:
I guess that everything being equal

Which is not true at all, as the Pentax lens design is definitely simpler.

Not true at all compared to which lens? Mine was a general statement, that Pentax lenses have to be more expensive than others. But I think you can also conclude that for that same reason a "simpler" 560mm lens can still end up being more expensive than a faster competitors' lens.
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

Algernon

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 21:33
If you have the designers it costs as much not to design
a lens as it does to design one Unless you put the
designers to work sweeping the floor in which case it costs
as much to sweep the floor as it does to design a lens
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Blythman

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 21:42
For the kind of money this lens costs why couldn't they resurrect the 250-600. The design work has already been done, so they could knock off the development costs that are being talked about here and sell it cheaper
Alan

PPG
Flickr

giofi

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 21:47
This is a good point, been wondering that.... But I guess there are other issues such as having a production line, etc.
Maybe that is the issue?
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

froeschle

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 23:16
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/173969-pentax-560mm-59.htm...

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/173969-pentax-560mm-59.htm...

Even from a subjective point of view, this - unfortunately - really just is a design worth no more than 3k imho. If you disagree with this decision, just comment there.

K10D

Link Posted 14/09/2012 - 01:04
Mike-P wrote:
gartmore wrote:

1955 from Jessops or 1288 from B&H. Gotta love the UK prices.

Best regards
Last Edited by K10D on 14/09/2012 - 01:05

Smeggypants

Link Posted 14/09/2012 - 01:36
K10D wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
Quote:

1955 from Jessops or 1288 from B&H. Gotta love the UK prices.

Best regards

Been that way for decades. Sadly.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Frogfish

Link Posted 14/09/2012 - 04:36
giofi wrote:
I guess that everything being equal, Pentax lenses must cost more than larger manufacturers'. Sales volumes are much smaller, so development costs for instance need to be amortised on fewer lenses.

Not if you want to stay in business. Pentax cameras and lenses have often been priced below those of Canon / Nikon and it was only the price rises of last year that brought them up to the same level.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

giofi

Link Posted 14/09/2012 - 05:05
Frogfish wrote:
Not if you want to stay in business.

I would argue that staying in business requires companies to make a profit that satisfies shareholders, that is what it is all about. If I look at the recent past of Pentax, that was not achieved, the company was sold twice and has not invested enough in new products, probably because it was not making money. It laid off lens designers, etc.

When I spoke to fellow photographers a couple of years ago, the reason why they dismissed Pentax was not their products, but rather the fact they were concerned they would not be in business long. Not a very good investment prospect.

My personal view is that Pentax previous owners had not found the winning formula to secure the future of the company. I sincerely hope that Richo will find it, and probably some of these pricing adjustments (mistakes?) are a sign of that attempt.

Frogfish wrote:
Pentax cameras and lenses have often been priced below those of Canon / Nikon and it was only the price rises of last year that brought them up to the same level.

Maybe that was part of the problem. Why should Pentax products be cheaper that Canon/Nikon? Pentax does not certainly have the economies of scale, so where do they get the cost advantage to have cheaper products?

Just my personal opinion....
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

Mike-P

Link Posted 14/09/2012 - 08:33
giofi wrote:

Maybe that was part of the problem. Why should Pentax products be cheaper that Canon/Nikon? Pentax does not certainly have the economies of scale, so where do they get the cost advantage to have cheaper products?

Unfortunately Pentax put themselves in that position, it's always going to be difficult trying to establish yourself as a premium seller when you have always been known for being cheaper than others.

I actually think my DA* lenses compare very favourably with my Canon L lenses and the DA range is every bit as good as Canons consumer offerings. Pentax made a huge mistake with the SDM motor though, I am pretty sure the reason Pentax has such a bad rep for AF speed is down to SDM which is positively painful in comparison.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.