DA 560mm

Don

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 18:51
Algernon wrote:
I didn't think it was waterproof and on the US forum
they said it didn't collapse like a telescope.

link
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Algernon

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 19:12
I wasn't sure about the waterproofing, but it's confirmed
that it is. It doesn't collapse though. The hood slides
back and the lens is about 520mm long.

The old 'A' 600mm f/5.6 was only 386mm long

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/primes/extreme-tele/A600f5.6.html
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 12/09/2012 - 19:18

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 19:14
Seems it has a DC motor rather than SDM.

That's a good thing anyway.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Don

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 19:16
Algernon wrote:
that it is. It doesn't collapse though.

Pentax did patent such a beast.. and there were photos of the prototype 560 that did appear to be collapsable... so do not rule it out yet..

Frogfish

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 19:22
Don wrote:
jane7l wrote:
Quote:

are you comparing weather sealed lenses? Image stabilized?
seems to me this is not an indoor lens, and also collapses to a nice back packable size.... I think there would be many a shooter of different brands that might jump ship to pentax for a weather sealed camera and lens combo that truthfully would still ring in at less money than say this:
nikon 600
or this:
canon 500

I should think the Pentax is priced right, if the image quality is there..
sure a $3000.00 lens would have been amazing... but seven grand isn't a bad idea compared to the competition and market place..

you are comparing a stop faster lenses with newest is design to a very simple lens design with no stabilisation. one stop faster lens usually brings about doubled price. and if you go just another half stop slower, you get zoom sigmas at around 1k price tag. da560 better be damn good to justify the price. even if it drops to a half of it.

you're assuming simpler is simpler.. my understanding is a scramjet is simpler than a jet turbine... doesn't make it easier to design, easier to operate... but it is significantly faster in use...
seriously.. simplifying the design may in fact improve the image quality... and who cares about a stop lost at the lens stage when you're looking at the dynamic range, and better af of a k-5 mk II?
you gotta look at this as a camera lens package.... the combined system is a great value compared to the competition....

This isn't a jet engine Don - it's a camera lens and simpler and slower does not equal expensive.

As for the extra stop - I explained why this is important in another thread. You can't add a x1.7 TC to the lens and retain AF once you've gone over the f8 limitation for AF in long lenses. Or at least it becomes highly unreliable if it works at all. So that means the f4/f4.5 stop becomes very important.

This BTW is what Falk Luomo (the Pentax Alpha tester) has to say about this new lens :

"At that price, weight, length, focussing distance, crop designation ......the price cannot be called reasonable. I can only assume that both companies (he's talking about Sony as well) made the lenses for the sake of reputation and special projects only where price plays no role.

A 100mm scope design like the 560/5.6, esp. as it already existed within the Pentax arsenal (albeit discontinued) and sold for much less than a typical 500mm normally does, was a big chance for Pentax to offer the first (relatively) affordable top class 500 for under $3000.

This could have pulled quite some photographers like birders etc. back into the Pentax system. So, it is an opportunity missed. "
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Last Edited by Frogfish on 12/09/2012 - 19:47

Algernon

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 19:31
Don wrote:
Algernon wrote:

Pentax did patent such a beast.. and there were photos of the prototype 560 that did appear to be collapsable... so do not rule it out yet..

It's shown here collapsed and the pics came from
the same forum that now says it doesn't collapse and it's
not shown collapsed on the latest photos?

ricehigh_link

-

Algi

Don

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 19:39
Algernon wrote:
Don wrote:
Quote:

ricehigh_link

-

RH is a Pentax hater and IMHO an idiot... he was also posting everywhere that the k-5 mk II rumors were fakes.. anywho... the lens LOOKS like it collapses, and it probably does... Pentax is notorious for having less than useful press releases and marketing efforts lol! time will tell.

Frogfish

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 19:45
Don wrote:
Algernon wrote:
Quote:
Algernon wrote:

ricehigh_link

-

RH is a Pentax hater and IMHO an idiot... he was also posting everywhere that the k-5 mk II rumors were fakes.. anywho... the lens LOOKS like it collapses, and it probably does... Pentax is notorious for having less than useful press releases and marketing efforts lol! time will tell.

As above. RH often posts BS including mock ups and is a known Pentax-hater.

The 560mm almost certainly does not collapse - not only did Pentax not say anything about what would be a major feature in their press release :

http://www.pentaximaging.com/about/press/287/PENTAX_Announces_Two_New_K-Mount_Le...

But you can see for yourself it would be impossible :

http://www.pentaximaging.com/img/press_images/1347052678_a_DA560f5.6_sm_large.jp...
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

Algernon

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 20:00
The RH site does have a link back to the original PF post
in which they think it's faked pf_link

I can't understand why they have used HD for the name of the
coating. I thought that was a trademark of the movie companies?
It's not going to attract any attention anyway it's so well known.

-

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 20:57
I notice Samsung have FULL HD written on some of their
cameras.... That must be better than Pentax's HD

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 12/09/2012 - 20:57

froeschle

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 22:13
Quote:
6k is ridiculous

Agreed.
Quote:
expected to be in the US$2,000 - 2,500 range and for a FF announcement

Quote:
meaning he is one of Pentax's Alpha Testers

I do not think so.
Quote:
Anyway, according to this thread they will maybe sell 2 to users of this forum .. of which one was me (and my ceiling was around 3.5k)

+1 (to replace one of my 300/2.8 + 2x combinations... )

Further reading:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/173969-pentax-560mm.html

Don

Link Posted 12/09/2012 - 22:49
well I guess it does not collapse then. but it is still a nice lens and I think it will sell for Pentax. as some have stated there are still cheaper third party lenses and second hand for those that can't afford this one.
I think the 200 and 300 lenses could be supplemented with a decent wr teleconverter for the rest of us..lol!

aliengrove

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 00:16
I can't understand why so many seem so surprised by the cost of this lens. Pentax have a much smaller market share than Canon or Nikon, and Sigma have the luxury of producing lenses for many different mounts. The cost of designing and producing this lens therefore has to be offset against a much smaller production run, so it has to be priced accordingly. I'm actually surprised that Pentax/Ricoh is producing it at all, as professional sports , wildlife or paparazzi photography are not markets Pentax have been particularly associated with, and I don't think the amateur market for this type of lens would ever make it a viable financial proposition. How many here would buy it if it only cost $3000?
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Last Edited by aliengrove on 13/09/2012 - 00:29

K10D

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 01:21
aliengrove wrote:
How many here would buy it if it only cost $3000?

Not me, it's too slow and I've already bought faster long glass along with the matching TC's.

Best regards

piotro

Link Posted 13/09/2012 - 01:31
aliengrove wrote:
I can't understand why so many seem so surprised by the cost of this lens. ... I'm actually surprised that Pentax/Ricoh is producing it at all

Exactly, this is not the cost, but fact that they wasted time, money to design something that probably less that a 1% of users will buy, instead of filling gaps in lens portfolio that would make more sense, examples earlier in the thread.
If Pentax would have good lens lineup then it wouldn't matter, they could produce any lens or telescope they want for any ridiculous price, but they are not there and it would be good if they would introduce product that at least 10% users would buy, more sense this way.
--
http://piotr.zenfolio.com
Last Edited by piotro on 13/09/2012 - 01:32
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.