Competition entries declining?

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

aliengrove

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 14:04
There don't seem to be many entries to the competitions recently: 7 so far for the weekly comp (granted it's a bit of an odd topic), and 4 days to go in the fortnightly comp and not a single entry yet! Saying that, I haven't entered the fortnightly comp myself yet. It's good to see a few entries in the monthly comp, but that has had to run for a second month. I would like to enter but I am having trouble finding something that fits the theme.

Are people losing interest in the comps, or is it just down to time of year or subject choice? I've added a poll, I hope it covers all the reasons people are not entering.

Edited for bad grammar....
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Last Edited by aliengrove on 14/08/2011 - 14:06

dougf8

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 14:33
I'm less bothered about weekly now.
My fortnightly entry awaits pp.
Not got into the monthly yet due to Hols and other general busy-ness.

I have liked the variety of winners recently, some new faces are welcome.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 14/08/2011 - 14:47

DrOrloff

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 14:44
I try to support the comps. Recent entry counts in the weekly have been on a par with a year ago. I forgot about the fortnightly - I've got a shot that will suit but I'll try and take a better one. I'm struggling with the monthly, very good theme but I haven't been out much - we have gite guests and all sorts of other visitors to look after in summer so I am largely confined to chasing bloody flies around the garden.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

japers45

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 14:48
I think that the topics are becoming more tricky which is inevitable if repetition is to be avoided.

I really wanted to enter the "Film Noir" comp (a great subject!) but holidays intervened.Considering that you need to be available for 2 weeks (first to enter, second for judging if lucky enough to win)it is no surprise that at this time of year there are fewer entries.

I have had to specifically take new images for the last two I have entered. I prefer to do this but it is more time consuming which sometimes will mean not entering.

I haven't really considered the fortnightly comp. Thanks for drawing it to attention. I will have a go ASAP.

dougf8

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 15:09
I think there should be an occasional open comp too where the subject is .... errr ..... open, allowing anyone to enter. It would allow people to enter images they haven't used in previous comps. I had four images for the square format comp and only used one.

Maybe the judging can be relaxed (less clamoring) for the next comp following an open to allow virgin judges a head start.

After seeing an annual county comp the most popular subjects were flowers/birds/animals which generally seem not to be catered for in the comps.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 14/08/2011 - 15:11

DrOrloff

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 15:16
There is a dilemna for popular, wide-ranging subjects. I set flowers as a competition subject and spent the rest of the week judging it. I do find a more restricted topic more interesting amd generally more creative.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

dougf8

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 15:28
Just once in a while.
Lurking is shirking.!

Don

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 18:09
I get busy this time of year.....is the main thing...

Gwyn

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 19:47
I never enter. I don't like the prize.

dougf8

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 19:53
Gwyn wrote:

Chicken!

?.......I mean chicken-duck!

You've got to be in it, to duck it. Chicken!
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 14/08/2011 - 19:54

techno-terminator

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 20:12
cardiff_gareth wrote:
I voted too busy but hoping to get some normality back in the comping weeks

Ummmmm

You'll be lucky
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

aliengrove

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 20:25
It's interesting to see that too busy is the main reason thus far, the weekly comp does not require more than choosing a pic from your archives....though I guess with some subjects this can take a bit of time.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

Gwyn

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 20:29
dougf8 wrote:
Gwyn wrote:

Chicken!

I entered once, and won it too. Due to family circumstances I didn't do the full detailed judging bit, but I did a quick judging and didn't enjoy the experience, so I decided I wouldn't enter again.

bforbes

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 20:34
I've been away weekends and things. So don't think it's fair to enter if, and I know it's a big if, I did win and was not there to set or judge. So I've voted other

dougf8

Link Posted 14/08/2011 - 20:40
Gwyn wrote:
dougf8 wrote:
Quote:

Chicken!

I entered once, and won it too. Due to family circumstances I didn't do the full detailed judging bit, but I did a quick judging and didn't enjoy the experience, so I decided I wouldn't enter again.

That's a shame.
Lurking is shirking.!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.