Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

Basic Colour Management: C1 & PS

Smeggypants
Posted 27/10/2009 - 21:51 Link
Yup, I set it to LUT
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
rodcy
Posted 23/03/2010 - 22:03 Link
Hu I've just installed Argyll and dispalGUI after reasing this thread and I'm having problems getting it to run with my Spyder2 device. It sees the colorimeter but I get a COM1 error. I can see the setting in dispal but its greyed out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Great photography is always on the edge of failure. - Garry Winogrand
Must stop myself falling over that edge all the time!

My Flickr
MattMatic
Posted 24/03/2010 - 13:09 Link
Rodcy - you need to go through the process of getting a binary chunk of data off the original Spyder installation CD.
On the Mac, the menu "Extra" has an option "Enable Spyder 2 Colorimeter..."
(It's there on Windows as well)

Once you have that run you should be able to access the Spyder 2.
(Or you could read the FAQ under ArgyllCMS )
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
rodcy
Posted 24/03/2010 - 15:57 Link
Matt
Thanks for getting back to me.
I did that - that's why I said it could see the colorimeter (I did read the FAQ promise!) I ran syd2en with my install disk and it created the necessary bin file. However I still get this COM1 error as I mentioned above.
I have the Spyder software installed as well as the Argyll so I'll try a reinstall of Argyll after deleting that. Also when should I attach the colorimeter - before or after running the spyden2 executive?

I'll keep trying as the software does look sophisticated and would be an improvement on the supplied software

My Flickr
MattMatic
Posted 24/03/2010 - 17:41 Link
You should attach the Spyder before running, AFAIK.
Which OS are you running?

I seem to remember getting something similar when I was using just Argyll, and not dispcalGUI... might have been on Windows with a USB issue - you HAVE to follow the installation instructions and update the Spyder USB driver to the Argyll supplied one (not the Spyder provided USB driver)... or it might have been on my Mac!

Matt
rodcy
Posted 24/03/2010 - 18:36 Link
I'm running Windows XP. I'll try and sort it out tonight - I'll go through the installation instructions again very slowly this time. Thanks again for your help.

My Flickr
rodcy
Posted 24/03/2010 - 21:33 Link
Well now it works ................ almost!

The software now calls up the calibration screen, displays a grey screen and then freezes. The three fingered salute to bringing up Task Manager shows the calibration as not running. Any suggestions gratefully received. Meanwhile back to another session of head scratching.
Cheers

Rod

My Flickr
bretti_kivi
Posted 24/03/2010 - 21:45 Link
what's COM1 got to do with anything? Isn't this a USB calibrator?

You are running this as an administrator, aren't you?

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
rodcy
Posted 24/03/2010 - 21:53 Link
Forget COM 1 I've sorted that one out! USB drivers intsalled and Spyder calibrator listed under instrument/port. It's what happens after I press start measurement that's the problem now. Up comes a grey screen and it freezes.

Rod

My Flickr
adwb
Posted 31/03/2010 - 13:34 Link
I bought a Huey pro which works OK on a old Hanson CRT but on two laptops with so called high end graphic screens produces the most awful Green colour cast no matter what I try I can get far better results just comparing a printed image to the same image in PS and saving that as a profile In fact it stays remarkably accurate over a range of photos with varying levels of colour and contrasts.
So phooey to the Huey it for ebay I suspect
Alistair
Assorted Pentax bodies and lenses as well as Sony and Olympus kit
adwb
Posted 31/03/2010 - 14:13 Link
Matt
I have downloaed the two software programs you talk about in the previous posts and have them working ok, the sofware finds the huey and runs the colour test and creates a profile but when it askes do I want to save this profile I get the message

dispwin: error- we dont have access to the videoLUT

how do I fix that??
Alistair
MattMatic
Posted 01/04/2010 - 16:50 Link
Alistair,
Have you Googled for it? Looks most likely to be a video card driver issue. Check you have the latest stable video drivers
Matt
adwb
Posted 02/04/2010 - 00:45 Link
MattMatic wrote:
Alistair,
Have you Googled for it? Looks most likely to be a video card driver issue. Check you have the latest stable video drivers
Matt

fixed, I rebooted the nachine and all is now well, very interesting results on both laptops, where the Huey sofware turned a grey desktop sort of gray green and gave a green tint to whites, i now have a fine setup.
I wonder why the huey software does not like these laptops?
Alistair
BTW many thanks for this th read and all the info, I never would have found this software otherwise.
Edited by adwb: 02/04/2010 - 00:46
MattMatic
Posted 02/04/2010 - 07:56 Link
Glad you're now sorted
uall
Posted 13/05/2010 - 19:37 Link
thanks for sharing this information its good forWindows machine for me about colour with Capture One and Photoshop.everyone have it

thanks

photos on canvas

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.