Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

Basic Colour Management: C1 & PS

Rodger Fooks
Posted 01/01/2007 - 18:24 Link
I have spent many distrought hours trying to colour match PC to printer to my local photo lab. What fun!

There are tow main things that need to be remembered when setting up profiles on monitors:-

1. Always try to keep to one type of paper for printing. Whilst they all look white they are all slightly different and will all give different results from the same image. This is also true for paper weight - keep to a consistant gsm figure.

2. Use the software to control the print coulor matching and turn off colour matching on the printer otherwise the PC will colour match and then the printer will as well giving some really awfull outputs.

Then if you keep to a consistant colourspace all should be fine.
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
Lilly
Posted 01/03/2007 - 17:56 Link
I am on a very steep learning curve with color management system and try to absorb and make sense of how I am to go about it and make a start!
My problem is really my prints are coming out just a few shades too dark, color is very good, so hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem to sort out.
However, you all must appreciate when you have zero knowledge on this dark gloomy subject (to me anyway ) it's a worry to start messing around with settings on this that and the other and to end up (hopefully not) in a worse state than before.

Anyway, I struggle on...... thought you might like to see below link to what I thought was a very helpful site by Ian Lyons, plus some very very cool beautiful shots of his trip to Antartica this month

any words of wisdom, gratefully received to release me from my tormeted brain...

Lil

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps9_print/ps9_print_3.htm

pics of Antartica - AMAZING !!!!
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/antarctica_2007/index.html
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,
Lilly
Posted 01/03/2007 - 18:07 Link
I DO apolgise the first link should have been:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps9_colour/ps9_1.htm
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,
MattMatic
Posted 02/03/2007 - 09:29 Link
Lilly,
That's a good link, but DO be aware that Adobe Gamma doesn't hand LCD panels too well
If you're on a tight budget, then WiziWYG should give a good enough solution (you'll have to search hard because Praxisoft went under, but it's still available for download in various places).

Better results are obtained with a Pantone Huey or Spyder 2 (I've used Spyder and Spyder 2 Pro).

One thing that always gets people is that your ambient lighting should be low. So low that you'll think it's almost night-time
Matt
Sitav
Posted 18/04/2008 - 09:13 Link
Matt, I've set up my LCD monitor as per your advice using WiziWYG the however the mouse pointer stands out as a gleaming white against any other "white" background which appear a more brown/ grey colour, should I tweak the settings to get the whites to match?
MattMatic
Posted 18/04/2008 - 11:56 Link
Simon,
Quote:
Matt, I've set up my LCD monitor as per your advice using WiziWYG the however the mouse pointer stands out as a gleaming white against any other "white" background which appear a more brown/ grey colour, should I tweak the settings to get the whites to match?

No!
Open Photoshop (or Elements) and create a new image and fill with pure white.

If it's "gleaming white" then you may well find your monitor is turned up too bright! There have been a few here who have had LCD panels with stonking backlights that have thrown things. To be honest, you are still better off with a Spyder/Huey etc
(Especially the ones that measure ambient light levels - you'd be surprised at how low the ambient lighting should be for good colour management )
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
MattMatic
Posted 17/06/2008 - 21:43 Link
Apparently FireFox 3 now supports colour profiles
www.getfirefox.com

EDIT: It must be enabled See this link: http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/08/color-management-support-added-to-firefox-3/

Matt
sananjana
Posted 26/11/2008 - 22:34 Link
hey wow thanks for very nice sharing information

PygmyTwittle wrote:
Colour profiles include three bits of info: gamma correction, phosphor numbers and white point.

Programs like Adobe Gamma and WiziWYG only load the display driver with a colour map that applies gamma correction. This allows applications which do not have built-in colour management to benefit from gamma-corrected image display. If you set up profile which has the correct rather than default phosphor numbers in it, apps like Photoshop and Picture Window Pro which have full colour management will also apply the phosphor and white point adjustments - and your images will look different in these apps than non-colour managed image viewers.

If your images look "more correct" in other viewers but are wrong in PS, then the chances are it is the phosphor numbers which are wrong, not the gamma correction. Note that Soft Proofing using the monitor profile in PS will display the image as per a non-colour managed application i.e. with gamma correction but without phosphor/whitepoint correction - this may explain why your image only looks correct when you soft-proof with the monitor profile.

I discovered all this while trying to profile my Sharp 172A, starting from the awful profile supplied by Sharp!

Hope you find this info useful.

Edited by sananjana: 26/11/2008 - 22:35
Ohawa
Posted 05/12/2008 - 23:42 Link
A question: Silkypix systematically shows all my PEF images a few grades too dark compared to Xnview and Picasa. The same PEF image seems to have the right brightness in XnView while in Silkypix I would decrease it brightness by about 1/2EV or 2/3EV. The same happens for Picasa. I was looking for a display brightness setting in Silkypix but only colour profiles are available. Has anybody experienced similar problem?

Btw my monitor is standard Toshiba satellite P100 17'' LCD, calibrated by Wiziwyg (I'll try to borow Huey for a day or so).
MattMatic
Posted 07/12/2008 - 20:35 Link
Silkypix is colour managed... Picasa and XnView are not (AFAIK).

The colour profile includes information about getting the correct luminance as well as colour. If you load the resultant output from Silkypix into Photoshop (which is also colour managed) the image should look the same.

Yes, a Huey will definitely help to assure you which is correct.
Matt
Edited by MattMatic: 07/12/2008 - 20:35
Ohawa
Posted 08/12/2008 - 07:31 Link
Thanks for your response, Matt. I'll have to verify how will the JPGs prints look like: is their brightness going to be correct or are they going to be too dark? So I'll try smaller prints first.
MattMatic
Posted 08/12/2008 - 10:16 Link
Ohawa,
When evaluating prints against the monitor, it's worth remembering that monitors are transmissive (ie they emit light), whereas prints are reflective. You should compare the monitor in correct subdued lighting to a print in daylight (preferably a daylight simulation booth).
Many print companies will supply a colour proof print - you can then compare that reference print to the online/digital version to check your monitor calibration and software setup
(Photobox in the UK will supply a reference print - you just ask for one!)
Matt
johna
Posted 03/02/2009 - 13:11 Link
Hi

Having read through this topic I am a slightly confused ( the confusion lies in my mind not with the posts on here) I am using a HP laptop and ink jet printer and using elements 7 for my editing. How would you suggest that I tackle my col management system and what is the best way to calibrate my monitor. I am guessing form what I have read that WYSIWYG is probably my best option? or I need to purchase some other software? Any advice would be gratefully recieved. Am I also corect in thinking to let my PC handle the colour and not my printer?
There are three kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't
MattMatic
Posted 03/02/2009 - 14:19 Link
John,
Your question covered two separate points:

1) Calibrating monitor. This is essential. Get yourself a Pantone Huey, Gretag Macbeth Eye One, or similar. They are cheap enough now The hardware device is normally excellent on all of them, it's just the software that varies in ability (and in most cases I use ArgyllCMS anyway now - which has been more reliable than the ColorVision Spyder 1 & 2 software). You need to calibrate your monitor, assign the profile to the display (the software should do this), and then Elements should pick this up. Mac OSX has built in visual "calibration", but again you should invest in a hardware device

2) Printer settings. How you tackle the colour management depends largely on the settings available in your printer driver. Elements has limited support for colour management. Unfortunately I only have Elements 3 (I use PS-CS2 normally)... let me point out a few things about Elements:

i) Click Edit / Color Settings
ii) Choose "Full Color Management" if you are serious. This will use AdobeRGB as the main editing colour space. This is fine for 99% of photographic work (and a wider colour space compared to the sRGB space).
iii) When you print, click on the "Show More Options" in the dialog box. Here you can then choose the output colour space and rendering intent. Which output space to choose depends on the printer driver:

2.iii.a) Printer driver has "AdobeRGB" colour space option: Set the output colour space in PSE to "AdobeRGB" and choose the "AdobeRGB" option within the driver.

2.iii.b) Printer driver has "sRGB" colour space option: Set the output colour space in PSE to "sRGB" and choose the "sRGB" option within the driver. Note that this may produce clipping of colours (as sRGB is a narrower gamut compared to AdobeRGB)

2.iii.c) Printer driver has "Unmanaged" colour option and you have a custom colour ICC/ICM file for the combination of printer ink & paper: In the output colour space option in PSE choose the exact ICC/ICM file for the paper/ink you are using and set the driver to "Unmanaged".

As mentioned above, the Epson drivers are often a special case as the driver itself contains the ICC/ICM data embedded in a special way

NOTE: If you work in AdobeRGB then you must convert the image to sRGB before saving for the web!

Matt
rhayles
Posted 07/02/2009 - 16:37 Link
Having followed this thread through I then tried to download wiziwyg. Either the web page cannot be accessed or an apparent download cannot be activated. Can anyone guide me where and how I can access this programme, please.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.