Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

AP K-7 Review

Mike-P
Posted 10/08/2009 - 19:48 Link
Realised a while ago I have a friend who subscribes and has had the issue since Saturday

He took photos on his compact, just about readable if you have good eyesight, these are the largest files.



Edit: deleted as Jack has suggested

(Score of 83%)
Edited by Mike-P: 10/08/2009 - 19:59
jackitec
Posted 10/08/2009 - 19:55 Link
I would delete this Mike, copyright and all that,
smc
Posted 10/08/2009 - 20:09 Link
Good review - while it lasted, although in summing up t did not realy address the K7's strengths - in-body stabilisation with any lens, small size, etc. Not sure what an "uncomfortable viewfinder" is. All my Pentax bodies have been excellent in this respect.
Mike-P
Posted 10/08/2009 - 20:19 Link
I thought it was actually quite positive .. the camera of choice for landscape, macro, portrait but need a D300s for sports due to still slowish AF.
smc
Posted 11/08/2009 - 17:38 Link
I agree.
ttk
Posted 11/08/2009 - 18:17 Link
Mike-P wrote:
I thought it was actually quite positive .. the camera of choice for landscape, macro, portrait but need a D300s for sports due to still slowish AF.

Mike, AP has the review on the Nikon 300s this week, in the shops from today.
Tel,
RR
Posted 11/08/2009 - 18:23 Link
ttk wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
I thought it was actually quite positive .. the camera of choice for landscape, macro, portrait but need a D300s for sports due to still slowish AF.

Mike, AP has the review on the Nikon 300s this week, in the shops from today.

I think it's a preview Tel.
ttk
Posted 11/08/2009 - 18:27 Link
RR wrote:
ttk wrote:
Quote:
I thought it was actually quite positive .. the camera of choice for landscape, macro, portrait but need a D300s for sports due to still slowish AF.

Mike, AP has the review on the Nikon 300s this week, in the shops from today.

I think it's a preview Tel.

Yes RR your right.

Sorry for miss leading you Mike.
Tel,
PeteL
Posted 11/08/2009 - 18:52 Link
I had been looking forward to the A P review but at first i thought they had left it out! There is no mention of it on the cover as there is only the D300s splashed all over that. As i thumbed through several times i almost missed it! I eventually found it on page 45!!!
Whilst A P reviews are usually on the harsh side i do feel that several useful features were overlooked which is surprising as they have had a good long time to get to know the camera in one form or another. They also failed to mention that the autofocus was much quieter with DA* lenses attached and the Shake reduction coping with rotational movement but i bet they make a big hoo- ha when Canon bring out their lenses with the same capability! There was one good point in the review as the Default "Bright" setting does display a lot of noise. I had moved the Sharpness slider down to zero on mine to get rid of this but Angela Nicholson had switched to "Natural" so i tried the same and this does the trick! by adding no sharpening in this setting it removes the noise.

Regards - Pete.
chrissinkpen
Posted 11/08/2009 - 18:54 Link
A 6 page page lab test barely gets a look in on the front cover!!!!
The Nikon gets most of the cover, an old camera at that!! the innovative K7 surely deserved centre stage on front cover????
More evidence of biased journalism!!! i really must stop buying AP and encouraging them.
A good review though - bet she was gritting her teeth when she kind of said that a firmware upgrade would fix it for her- hmmmm-whatever.

Regards

Chris
Greytop
Posted 13/08/2009 - 11:38 Link
Having now read the review a couple of times I would say on the whole it is very positive. OK the odd feature is missed and there was the point about noisy focussing with screw drive lenses so obviously DA* lenses we not tried.
But do they conclude that it is now very serious competition for the 50D and new D300s. In particular the image quality and resolution are class leading... nice

As others have remarked it is a shame that the D300s takes centre stage in a big way on the front cover and that the K-7 is squeezed into the top 20mm.
Regards Huw

flickr
Mike-P
Posted 13/08/2009 - 12:44 Link
Greytop wrote:

As others have remarked it is a shame that the D300s takes centre stage in a big way on the front cover and that the K-7 is squeezed into the top 20mm.

I also quite like the ruddy great full page advert for the D300s placed right next to the final conclusion page.
Joe S
Posted 13/08/2009 - 13:00 Link
chrissinkpen wrote:


(...)

The Nikon gets most of the cover, an old camera at that!! the innovative K7 surely deserved centre stage on front cover????
More evidence of biased journalism!!!

(...)

Regards

Chris

The cover is made to attract potential buyers of the magazine more than being representive of it's content. Putting a K-7 in the spotlight on the cover would fit the content inside better, but mag staff must have thought that most potential buyers couldn't give a d*** about Pentax. Sad, but I think, true!
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Edited by Joe S: 13/08/2009 - 13:02
PeteL
Posted 13/08/2009 - 13:50 Link
They mention that the Shake Reduction can only be accessed by using the menu but in fact there is a quicker way. If you press the Info Button you can switch the S R on and off using the rear wheel. I have the S R selected in my Info screen so its a 2 click operation for me. You could even have the info screen on the whole time if you prefer.
I was surprised that Pentax offer the 18-55 zoom, As it does the Camera few favours when in comparison tests with top of the range Cameras. Far better to have a higher spec lens paired with it. After all i`m sure that a kit lens which costs only 20 more than the body only price is not going to impress anyone!
I keep mine in the bag just in case i need to use it at sea in stormy conditions or on a windy beach where i would be loath to use a quality lens for fear of damage.
Testing with DA* lenses would have given a completely different verdict as the K7 is fast,silent,accurate and with a brighter viewfinder/Live View using these lenses.
Regards Pete
stevejcoe
Posted 13/08/2009 - 13:58 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Greytop wrote:

As others have remarked it is a shame that the D300s takes centre stage in a big way on the front cover and that the K-7 is squeezed into the top 20mm.

I also quite like the ruddy great full page advert for the D300s placed right next to the final conclusion page.

I am sure that Nikon paid handsomely on both counts.

PeteL wrote
Quote:
I was surprised that Pentax offer the 18-55 zoom, As it does the Camera few favours when in comparison tests with top of the range Cameras. Far better to have a higher spec lens paired with it. After all i`m sure that a kit lens which costs only 20 more than the body only price is not going to impress anyone!

I agree, surely a better match would be the DA 17-70?

Steve

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.