Not a anti K-7 rant.........but

Malo1961

Link Posted 13/07/2009 - 22:47
With great wonder I am following all the discussions about the new Kid on the block. And like most of the pentax users I think its great news there is another potentially great camera to choose from.
But......after reading all the discussions about noise, frps, wb and in camera hdr I am asking my self, what's all the excitement about. Honestly, I have yet seen no picture were the K-7 shows its superiority. Picture quality wise, that is. And the safest assumption should be, that it is still uncertain if noise control on the K-7 is a big leap forward compared to the k20D. Pixel count isn't an issue any more because every manufacture seems to have drawn the same conclusion. 12 to 15 MP is enough on a cropped sensor. All the other improvement are nice, but do they really contribute to better picture quality?? So what is it, what makes the K-7 so desirable. Or....lets turn things around now. What is it that makes all the *istD's, k200D's or K10D/20D's so out of date and apparently in need for a fast replacement..... Let me ask you...Did your KxxxxD stop working over night?? Guess not, right

Isn't it so, there is so much more to gain in picture quality by reviewing your choice of lenses? Or invest in a sturdy tripod. Or maybe just push the envelope in handling your present camera. Or has everyone who owns a K10/20D outgrown his camera, and feels his gear is holding you back in taking quality pictures........

Around the net (not only here), I read about people who ordered the newest Kid on the block, while asking questions in a separate thread about the most basic forms of PP, because they know diddly sh*t about PS/Elements or whatever editing program.

So.......to conclude with a question. Does the K-7 take pictures?? Yes !
Does your K-7 take top quality pictures, better than your old camera ever could do ?? No !!

That is up to you. The man or woman who controls and can blindly operate his camera, making camera and user as one. And therefore can concentrate on the subject itself instead of fooling around with the latest gadget loaded piece of high tech.

I wish you good light on all your journeys.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

scottthehat

Link Posted 13/07/2009 - 22:57
well i want a camera that has a faster and more reliable af system and fps and thats it, none of the other things really worry me, as i have a hd camera, for video, im not saying its not a nice extra, but i was hoping that pentax would have a better af system like the d300,
just keep snapping,

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/scottbenson

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/scottthehat/

CAMERAS = k200d + battery grip.
nikon d300 + battery grip.
LENSES = tamron aspherical DII 18-200mm f3.5/6.3,
nikon 18-200mm afs vr f3.5/5.6 g dx
sigma 150-500mm apo dg hsm os
sigma 170-500mm apo dg
FLASH = samsung sef36pzf flash + more.
Last Edited by scottthehat on 13/07/2009 - 22:58

johnriley

Link Posted 13/07/2009 - 22:57
We know that it's the human being behind the camera that makes the photograph, not the camera.

However, technology is nice to have, and good technology especially so. There's no harm in wanting the latest, as long as we're not kidding ourselves that it will transform our photography.
Best regards, John

scottthehat

Link Posted 13/07/2009 - 22:58
johnriley wrote:
We know that it's the human being behind the camera that makes the photograph, not the camera.

However, technology is nice to have, and good technology especially so. There's no harm in wanting the latest, as long as we're not kidding ourselves that it will transform our photography.

well said john.
just keep snapping,

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/scottbenson

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/scottthehat/

CAMERAS = k200d + battery grip.
nikon d300 + battery grip.
LENSES = tamron aspherical DII 18-200mm f3.5/6.3,
nikon 18-200mm afs vr f3.5/5.6 g dx
sigma 150-500mm apo dg hsm os
sigma 170-500mm apo dg
FLASH = samsung sef36pzf flash + more.

Anvh

Link Posted 13/07/2009 - 23:16
Technology is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet.

Like this one better though.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.
-

I totally agree with you Martin that the camera's of the KD generation are still holding his own and that there isn't much between them.

The K20D and the K7 share the same sensor although that of the K7 is slightly improved so could you really expect much improvement at that point?

Btw didn't Pentax say with the K10D the next camera will have a improved sensor or an improved AF system since we can't do both.
Guess the K20D brought the new sensor and the K7 improvements in the AF.

Also when looking at a camera it isn't fair to just look at the image quality because there is more to it.
When you compare the K20D and the K7 side to side you see more innovation then between the K10D and the K20D.
Then again do we need it... don't think most of us do but we still want it though.
Humans
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

simonkit

Link Posted 13/07/2009 - 23:34
Interesting to read about the K7 but not tempting as I've just bought the K20D, very impressed so far I am too having upgraded from my GX10.

Looking at the K7 it seems more of a "functionality" move forward than an IQ one - this won't make a significant difference to everyone, certainly wouldn't to me.

One think I read with interest is about the new "improved AF system" - to be quite honest I never had a single issue with AF on the GX10, although I didn't shoot much low light & I guess this is where the weakness perhaps lies?

simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

paullucas

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 00:04
When I looked at the Nikon D300, D700 and D3, I was astonished by the speed of the autofocus and also in the way they handled. Something that I was never impressed with with my K10 & K20. Most of the time I ended up turning to manual and cursing AF and thinking that camera companies had a lot to learn when it came to AF.
I found out the other day that it was indeed my K10/20 that had the problem. I really hope that the K-7 has not got that same problem. I will be visiting a camera shop soon to have a "play" with a K-7 before I make my mind up on whether to go for the big switch or not.

johnriley wrote:

I really agree with that statement and well done John, that is well written.
The thing is that I know from my own knowledge and customer feedback that my photography is very good (can you see me blowing my own trumpet ). I want a camera that I can 100% rely on. For the vast majority of users on this site, the Pentax DSLR's are the bees knees and provide everything that they are looking for. I used to be like that but have gotten to a point now where I am slightly doubting the system.
Cameras, to me, are a work horse. They are there to do a job, if they start failing me or make my job harder then it is time to change.

Paul

Unlocker

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 00:09
Hold one.

Use one.

Want one.

Easy.

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

paullucas

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 00:15
Ahhhh you keep saying that

That's what I did with the Nikon's the other day

I held one

I used one

I want one

Easy

Shoulda done that with the K-7 first though shouldn't I

PeteL

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 00:38
Yes, I too agree wholeheartedly! I have been very much a traditional photographer using mechanical Km and MX camera`s with Pentax manual focus Primes from 20mm through to 300mm and even after moving to digital i used mostly the same lenses and shot 90% in manual mode. My Ist*DL went twice round the clock and my K10 had over 52,000 clicks. But as i use most of my photo`s for stock libraries the file size was becoming too small. I really wanted a full frame with 20mp+ and came close to changing to a 5D mk 2 with a few lenses. It was only the K7 that prevented me spending 6000 on a system that would future proof my stock images but not satisfy me in any other sense. The K7 satisfies me! And the technological improvements have only added to my enjoyment of my hobby. Though i await a full frame Pentax with great anticipation.

Regards -Pete.

Critical-i

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 02:44
The same was true for the previous 35 years until about 1990 when the first DSLRs came out, now IQ is more or less the same (taste and flavours) between the cameras like it was between types of film. The camera was just a method for exposing a film.

The new Olympus is more or less the same as the old one. The three new Sonys are almost exactly the same as the old ones. The 50D is not much better than a 40D and the D90 is as good as a D300 and has movies too.

Having reached the "sweet spot" for both APSC and FF, I think the features are what matters. The K7 has several advances over the K20 that are worthwhile, but I think D300 owners are going to have more trouble finding anything worth buying in a D300s if they dont want movies, and as they saying goes....how do they follow that?

K7 will evolve but the template has been defined for future Pentax cameras and I for one think its OK. I would really like to buy a camera that I can use productively for 5 or 6 years till I wear it out like I used to in the old days.

And a tripod. Ah, there's a whole new addiction waiting to happen and lets face it, they hardly evolve at lightning pace so how come I have four of them?

Malo1961 wrote:
With great wonder I am following all the discussions about the new Kid on the block. And like most of the pentax users I think its great news there is another potentially great camera to choose from.
But......after reading all the discussions about noise, frps, wb and in camera hdr I am asking my self, what's all the excitement about. Honestly, I have yet seen no picture were the K-7 shows its superiority. Picture quality wise, that is. And the safest assumption should be, that it is still uncertain if noise control on the K-7 is a big leap forward compared to the k20D. Pixel count isn't an issue any more because every manufacture seems to have drawn the same conclusion. 12 to 15 MP is enough on a cropped sensor. All the other improvement are nice, but do they really contribute to better picture quality?? So what is it, what makes the K-7 so desirable. Or....lets turn things around now. What is it that makes all the *istD's, k200D's or K10D/20D's so out of date and apparently in need for a fast replacement..... Let me ask you...Did your KxxxxD stop working over night?? Guess not, right

Isn't it so, there is so much more to gain in picture quality by reviewing your choice of lenses? Or invest in a sturdy tripod. Or maybe just push the envelope in handling your present camera. Or has everyone who owns a K10/20D outgrown his camera, and feels his gear is holding you back in taking quality pictures........

Around the net (not only here), I read about people who ordered the newest Kid on the block, while asking questions in a separate thread about the most basic forms of PP, because they know diddly sh*t about PS/Elements or whatever editing program.

So.......to conclude with a question. Does the K-7 take pictures?? Yes !
Does your K-7 take top quality pictures, better than your old camera ever could do ?? No !!

That is up to you. The man or woman who controls and can blindly operate his camera, making camera and user as one. And therefore can concentrate on the subject itself instead of fooling around with the latest gadget loaded piece of high tech.

I wish you good light on all your journeys.

Martin.

Cheers, Steve

sanderscapes

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 06:39
I'm still a very big fan of the k10/k20's.

I've seen a couple of people on the forum sell quite a bit of their gear to fund a k7' their k10/k20 plus lenses and such.

I wouldn't like to be in a position where i have a brand new camera and find i havn't got the lenses i once had .I also find it reasuring that having two bodies in case something goes wrong is priceless.I have one setup with a landscape lens and the other a telephoto and so are always ready to go.

The extra couple of frames per second doesn't really interest me as i'm a landscaper.I think cameras should be judged on the awards they've won which the k10/k20 have won a few.

I am not slating anyone for buying the latest Pentax i am sure the k7 is an excellent piece of kit.

This is just my opinion

Prieni

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 07:22
Martin,

I do agree. And I just ordered a new tripod on the weekend (and it would have paid for at least half a new K7).

That doesn't mean that I don't want the K7, I just think that I can keep the urge under control for another while. I'm sure that it is improved in many respects and eventually I'll give in. Until then I better don't touch it listening to Unlocker...

In the long term, though, the old saying from Startrek is true: Resistance is futile...

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

mikew

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 07:23
I like the sound of smaller but at the current money no thanks.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 08:06
I seem to get a new camera every three years or so.

Following that rule when I next look the K-7 could(should!) be more affordable, Hoya/Pentax will probably be discounting to clear stock for the 'next' model, so I'll probably get one.

I'm willing to wait, I can't afford 1200, but who knows what the price will be then?
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.