Link Posted 01/01/2020 - 22:32
Billy Connelly - The National Anthem link
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

Lubbyman

Link Posted 01/01/2020 - 23:30
Gwyn wrote:
DH and I know some carols to different tunes, he being from Lancashire, me being from Middlesex.

So with him being from west of the Pennines, you won't know "While shepherds watched" to the tune of "On Ilkley Moor Baht 'at" (my wife is from Yorkshire, me from Middlesex).

Nice to have Middlesex mentioned, doesn't happen much nowadays apart from the county cricket club.

Steve

RobL

Link Posted 02/01/2020 - 08:15
Google it and all you get now is Middlesex University, I would far rather live in Middlesex than GLC but thatís soulless bureaucrats for you.

Gwyn

Link Posted 02/01/2020 - 08:42
My bit of Middlesex got moved to Surrey. Much good it did them.

I have a brother in York and a herd of cousins who moved to around Slaithwaite so I have heard While Shepherds Watched to Ilkely Moor, but not sung it. But then again I don't sing so I wouldn't have.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 02/01/2020 - 11:17
Gwyn wrote:
My bit of Middlesex got moved to Surrey. Much good it did them.

Hey, that's my bit!

I vaguely remember my parents and neighbours thinking that Surrey would be better than being swallowed up by London. In practice, it all seemed to get swallowed up by Heathrow Airport and the M3 and M25 motorways, none of which seem to take any notice of whether they are in Middlesex, London or Surrey.

Steve

Hardgravity

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 14:22
Middlesex, London or Surrey are all foreign to me, anything south of Derbyshire (we have family there) may as well be on a different planet!

I know more about France than the south of in-ger-land

I can also navigate across Scandinavia easier than through the'home counties'..

...and why are the called that?

They were never my 'home'!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Gwyn

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 14:50
Hardgravity wrote:
Middlesex, London or Surrey are all foreign to me, anything south of Derbyshire (we have family there) may as well be on a different planet!

I know more about France than the south of in-ger-land

I can also navigate across Scandinavia easier than through the'home counties'..

...and why are the called that?

They were never my 'home'!

No one really knows, but they were probably where politicians and civil servants could have a country home and still be close to London. A sort of medieval communter belt.

Apart from visits to North Wales, and to Rugby, to visit family, I never ventured north of Watford until my brother went to Hull Uni when I was 10.
I didn't get to Scotland until in my fifties .
Bits of the home counties are lovely, but much has been built upon or destroyed for roads.
St Annes Hill was delightful until the M3/M25 junction arrived. Used to see Keith Moon at a pub in the area when he lived there. Even bought me a drink once.
My home town of Sunbury has the M3 splitting it even more than was already the case.

Couldn't even find where we lived when we first married.

We went back to Wantage, where we lived before we move to NL and got lost as it has expanded and changed so much.

Mind we did the same when we went back to Oldham a few years ago. Stopped to buy some supplies and have a coffee and realised to our horror we were on the site of the Elk Mill where my father-on-law had spent his working life as a Mule operator.

You can't go back. It just isn't there any more.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 18:04
Gwyn wrote:
St Annes Hill was delightful until the M3/M25 junction arrived.

I remember the fuss about that bit of wanton destruction!

Gwyn wrote:
My home town of Sunbury has the M3 splitting it even more than was already the case.

And very useful it was too, when driving up to visit parents. You'll have presumably heard of Ashford, where they lived for their adult lives and I lived until going to university?

Gwyn wrote:
You can't go back. It just isn't there any more.

Very true (except for parts of Dorset where time moves very slowly). My mother found out when registering my father's death that he had been born on the north runway of Heathrow Airport. Apparently, the airport wasn't there at the time...

Steve

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 18:10
Gwyn wrote:

I travel on the A316 every day, and often get petrol at the Shell station in Sunbury... Gits just put on 3p/litre on UL, thanks Donald.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Last Edited by ilovesaabs on 03/01/2020 - 18:11

Gwyn

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 18:15
I went to school in Ashford, the now defunct Ashford County.

Yes the M3 was handy to visiting parents once we moved here. Motorway nearly to their door.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 18:48
Gwyn wrote:
I went to school in Ashford, the now defunct Ashford County.

Me too (and brother and sister) - it's a small world!

The buildings were demolished a couple of years ago even though the developer hadn't received planning permission.

ilovesaabs wrote:
I travel on the A316 every day, and often get petrol at the Shell station in Sunbury... Gits just put on 3p/litre on UL, thanks Donald.

Sunbury Tesco on the A308 used to be cheaper than most. Haven't been there for 7 years though.

Steve

Gwyn

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 19:37
Small world indeed Steve.

I won't ask when.
Last Edited by Gwyn on 03/01/2020 - 19:38

K10D

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 20:08
Watched the DVD yesterday. Read the book today.

Raymond Briggs. When the wind blows.

Massive impact and clarification of pointless......
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

Gwyn

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 21:08
We read it when it came out. It was around the time of the Peace Camp at Greenham Common and very relevant. It is sad that it is just as relevant today.

HarisF1

Link Posted 04/01/2020 - 00:32
Not so pointless but in the past week I've only just discovered the gallery on this site. I hadn't given it much thought previously as I never use the homepage (the forums are the first link when I type 'pe').
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.