Another pointless thread

K10D

Link Posted 20/12/2018 - 22:33
Hardgravity wrote:
Almost Christmas and a Poirot on the box. Polish vodka in the glass and all is well...

Cheers

May the spirytus of Christmas be with you.
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

HarisF1

Link Posted 20/12/2018 - 23:33
New turbo fitted, so glad that I don't have to drive the Fiat Ulysse (it's so big - my dad fitted a new spring)

Gwyn

Link Posted 21/12/2018 - 08:35
Glad to hear your car troubles are sorted.

Winter soltice. Dark and wet and nasty outside, but the days will start to get longer again.

Off to do a mega food shop, then maybe I'll put up the tree.

HarisF1

Link Posted 21/12/2018 - 11:13
Last day of term for me - good break coming up.

I just wish the weather would either clear up (or lots of snow) so I can do something nice with my kit.

Defragged

Link Posted 21/12/2018 - 17:52
HarisF1 wrote:

I just wish the weather would either clear up (or lots of snow) so I can do something nice with my kit.

Doing something nice with your kit really only depends on the 'whether' - whether or not you do something nice or whether or not you don't do something nice. But whichever the whether, you really don't need to wait for the weather!!!

Happy Christmas.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

HarisF1

Link Posted 21/12/2018 - 18:12
Defragged wrote:
HarisF1 wrote:

Doing something nice with your kit really only depends on the 'whether' - whether or not you do something nice or whether or not you don't do something nice. But whichever the whether, you really don't need to wait for the weather!!!

Happy Christmas.

I really enjoyed that

Gwyn

Link Posted 21/12/2018 - 18:27
Me too

Whether the weather is good or not (no snow please!) enjoy your holiday!

Tree is up and sort of decorated. I'll carry on tomorrow. Maybe.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 25/12/2018 - 19:29
Happy Christmas everybody. Goose cooked and eaten and now it's drinks time and a snooze in front of the TV.

Cheers!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/12/2018 - 22:00
And to you HG.

Pig cooked, eaten, cleared away.

Silly game played. No tears.

Everyone gone home. Peace.

Watching Only Connect which we recorded. No gin .

jeallen01

Link Posted 27/12/2018 - 19:07
HarisF1 wrote:
Car turbo finally gave up the ghost.. I'm getting a wooooooo sound at every blip of the throttle...

"..woooooo sound..."? - That's "Nothing"!

Blew the turbo on my remapped (170-180 bhp now) 2007 Octavia TDI 2l Estate about 4 yrs ago when having an "ill-advised" road-rage moment with a Merc that was "annoying me" on a slippery roundabout exit with traffic lights:
- 1st Gear & boot to the floor = lots of wheelspin
- 2nd gear & same thing, but the engine felt a "little flat"
- anyway, 3rd gear and the same thing - until the engine died and we came to a halt with HUGE cloud (you couldn't see through it) of oily black smoke out the exhaust at the next set of lights

Short version of the story of the following 2-3 weeks:
- Britannia Rescue took us home (only about a mile)
- It happened just between Xmas & the New Year, so couldn't get a really well-built recon unit and had to get one via the local ECP, and that was fitted by a mechanic mate of a friend of mine just after the New Year.
- that lasted all of 50 miles of gentle driving before it began to rattle very ominously!
- another trip to the mechanic (cost 60 each time for a transporter), and THIS time he thoroughly cleaned out all the turbo boost and oil feed pipes - which he might not have done the 1st time!
- engine then running OK, but was "tappety" (shouldn't as it has hydraulic lifters!) and so needed a complete set (16 as it's a 16V engine) of new lifters due to the engine having hit valve bounce at least twice during the "road rage moment".
- total cost was well over a 1k, and it took about 4 months and a couple of thousand careful miles until I was confident that the engine & turbo were now OK.

PS: ever seen a "really blown" turbo? In the one that blew, the turbo shaft and vanes had become completely detached from the turbo body!!

PPS: at one point I had thought the engine had probably totally "lunched itself", and was very surprised to find out that the damage was limited to that described above, and it's now done another 20k miles (now @ 127k miles) and runs brilliantly

PPPS: 2 months after the turbo trouble, the clutch went = another 700 for a new clutch and DMF!
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!) - and now a K-70 from SRS
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 27/12/2018 - 19:16

Mike-P

Link Posted 27/12/2018 - 19:23
Just walked in the back door after visiting my wifes aunt for a couple of hours.

I left the remains of the turkey on the worktop covered in foil (a GOOD half of the bird) but hadn't given Finlay the dog a thought ......

No turkey curry for me this year.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 27/12/2018 - 19:23

HarisF1

Link Posted 27/12/2018 - 19:55
jeallen01 wrote:
HarisF1 wrote:
Car turbo finally gave up the ghost.. I'm getting a wooooooo sound at every blip of the throttle...

"..woooooo sound..."? - That's "Nothing"!

Blew the turbo on my remapped (170-180 bhp now) 2007 Octavia TDI 2l Estate about 4 yrs ago ...

Mine was remapped a few weeks ago, I'm just hoping the turbo was on its last legs anyway

Thankfully all I really had was the wooo wooo and none of the smoke. I didn't get to see the inside of my old turbo as much as I wanted to - my mechanic forgot to take pics before passing it onto the turbo recon company. I was lucky since they already had a compatible turbo waiting to be fitted. I only spent two days without my car!

I get the feeling my DMF may be acting up as getting to biting point is getting quite loud and juddery. No knocking noises yet (and my sisters car had the noise for over a year with no other nasty effects before its clutch was replaced) so I'm hoping it'll last. I think the car is running between 120 and 140 bhp now so it does have an impact on the clutch!

jeallen01

Link Posted 27/12/2018 - 20:19
@HarisF1

Remaps can certainly take their toll on ageing clutches, and DMFs in particular. The Octy had about 103k miles on the clock before being remapped, and the additional power certainly shortened the DMF life. OTOH, I was rather stupid after the remap and ran it a lot at low revs as it had much more torque, and that made the DMF suffer a lot.

A remap to about 130-140 bhp at just over 100k miles on the previous Golf Mk IV 1.9 TDI did the same for that and it soon began to slip under heavy load and needed a new clutch & DMF a few thousand miles later. OTOH, never blew the turbo on that car, and it went on to do over 150k miles for me and then my neighbour before it developed multiple other issues (alternator, and then, probably, a porous cylinder head) and so he scrapped it.

PS".. 120-140bhp..."? - you need MUCH MORE power!

The company which did the Octy could probably do that. PM me if you want to know their name - they are brilliant because not only is the Oct much more powerful, but it also has incredibly smooth power delivery from tickover right to the top of the rev range (about 4000-4500 RPM - it's a diesel after all!) and the mid-range is "stunning", and thus is very driveable around town, on the motorway, and anywhere in between.
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!) - and now a K-70 from SRS
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 27/12/2018 - 20:34

Gwyn

Link Posted 27/12/2018 - 21:11
Mike-P wrote:
Just walked in the back door after visiting my wifes aunt for a couple of hours.

I left the remains of the turkey on the worktop covered in foil (a GOOD half of the bird) but hadn't given Finlay the dog a thought ......

No turkey curry for me this year.

Oops. I hope Finlay doesn't suffer and make things worse for you. My horde of hungry offspring and thier offspring demolished all the porchetta I made. I managed one slice!

as for remapping - I usually buy a new road atlas every couple of years.

jeallen01

Link Posted 27/12/2018 - 21:16
Gwyn wrote:
....as for remapping - I usually buy a new road atlas every couple of years.

Won't make your car any faster though!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.