Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

5 In A Row - David Storm

davidstorm
Posted 03/09/2014 - 18:49 Link
michaelblue wrote:
Just a question: Are all those catchlights in her eyes reflections from the windows?

Hi Michael, yes they are from the windows. There are three separate windows at the front of our caravan and a further one at each side, so this is why there are multiple catchlights. I haven't altered them at all.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
McGregNi
Posted 03/09/2014 - 19:06 Link
Back to the first one, it's a thought provoking idea, as David intended... My thought is that with such large juxtaposition between OOF and in focus zones in an image, it generally works better the other way round, ie a larger OOF area in the foreground and a small point of focus further into the scene ... What do others think?

Lovely portrait, nice soft lighting.I also find the odd eye reflections a distraction. I wonder, would this have been better shot with a subtle mix of natural and flash lighting .... Perhaps a slow-sync setting enough shutter time to record some ambient light, plus a small burst of flash bounced upwards with the catchlight panel raised to record a single spot in each eye and give that needed ' lift'. ...?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
davidstorm
Posted 03/09/2014 - 20:56 Link
Here is my third offering; this is probably more akin to the type of shots you will be familiar with me posting (i.e. a landscape), although it is different from my 'normal' approach.

You may have seen a version of this posted on the Gallery about 12 months ago. This is a mono conversion, to which I have applied a split toning technique, so the colours are not natural nor are they representative of the scene as it was, but I think it works. It's taken with the K-5IIs and DA L 55-300 lens and it demonstrates what a great lens this is. It was specifically chosen to compress the perspective and lend the shot a 'layered' appearance. It was shot in the Straits of Gibralter, with Southern Spain in the background.

I hope you like it and I'm happy to hear what you think.

3. Mediterranean Sunrise

Comment Image

Regards
David
Flickr

swarf
Posted 03/09/2014 - 21:37 Link
I love it! I think that it works really well just as it is.

However,as the idea of the 5 in a row, or at least as I have interpreted it, is to critique and challenge, I'll now start picking - I would like to see a version with the wave highlights just knocked back a little; also I'd like to see a letter-box crop with maybe 10% off the top and the bottom.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
michaelblue
Posted 04/09/2014 - 06:07 Link
This is my kind of picture
I like it as it is, the sky gives it a feeling of space and the wave hilights are an integral part of the picture...for me anyway.

I'd have this on my wall .....if I could

I don't think Phil's crop idea would improve it but would certainly create another excellent version
Regards,
Michael
simonarron
Posted 04/09/2014 - 06:16 Link
I don't think minor crops from the northern and southern fringes would do great harm, but I find the photo balanced in its original form and like it very much. No nits worthy of picking as far as I'm concerned - a lovely image.
davidtrout
Posted 04/09/2014 - 08:36 Link
Its a powerful graphic image. Leave it as it is.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Edited by davidtrout: 04/09/2014 - 08:36
johnriley
Posted 04/09/2014 - 08:48 Link
The proportions look right within the image, so I wouldn't crop it, but I do find the highlights on the water a bit distracting. I think they spoil the sense of serenity.
Best regards, John
bforbes
Posted 04/09/2014 - 09:22 Link
Looks good to me. Cropping the top edge would loose that dark band that just hold your eye in the picture.
autumnlight
Posted 04/09/2014 - 13:57 Link
It's a beautiful image, i don't feel experienced enough to give critique on this sort of picture only to say what my eyes enjoy and they enjoy this lovely calming scene, i will say that i don't think a crop would enhance it in anyway.
davidstorm
Posted 04/09/2014 - 21:07 Link
Hello again! Thank you for your comments on the first three so far. Here is number four; it's an iconic location, so how on earth do you do something original here? My take was to isolate a part of this stunning and ancient building and make sure I got the exposure right, which was not easy! This was shot with the K-5 and DA 17-70 lens. Please give me your opinions!

4. The Pantheon

Comment Image

Best Regards
David
Flickr

alfpics
Posted 05/09/2014 - 10:11 Link
You've done well considering the extreme of light and dark. If a tripod was present then HDR might help a bit. However the way the shaft of light comes through is captured well.

My orderly brain (when it is ordered :lol would have also tried to compose a symmetrical shot around the light at top left and the light pattern bottom right and in portrait format.
Andy
johnriley
Posted 05/09/2014 - 10:21 Link
Tricky, far harder than say the Royal Exchange in Manchester which adds wonderful colours to the patterns. I think I'd have been tempted to place the camera on the floor, use the self timer and get a view of the whole of the dome. This might have needed a wider lens.

As it is, I don't think the washed out areas help very much, although the composition is a fine idea.

A very challenging situation.
Best regards, John
bforbes
Posted 05/09/2014 - 10:31 Link
Indeed a challenge. For me most of the interest lies in the outer circles on the right. So I would like to see more of them, if indeed it was possible. The Exif says 17mm so quite wide anyway.
tyronet2000
Posted 05/09/2014 - 10:34 Link
"5 in a row" is this a new challenge/competition/project. Haven't be on the forum much lately
Regards
Stan

PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.